The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay I have to get this Star Trek stuff out of my system.

The next pic is large (sorry) but it's a great one of Gene Roddenberry and his wife Majel Barrett which we remember as blonde in the original cast. What her function was I've forgotten. But then later on she was Troy's mother Lawaxanna. And what about her personal assistant? Wasn't he interesting!

Live and learn... Kathy's a Trekkie!

I like the series, too. Another thing about Majel Barret.. she is the voice of the computer in all of the series. How 'bout that? And can you hardly believe that Star Trek started *40* years ago next year?? It's pretty amazing also that only two of the original main cast members have died. James Doohan (Scotty) and Deforest Kelly (Bones).

It was a great show but probably ended at about the right time. I can imagine that a 4th season would have had lots more political references in it as a sign of what America was going through.

sudo

Sudo,

Yes, I enjoyed Star Trek with a few limits. I never got into all those variations with the exception of Deep Space Nine but I stopped long before it did. But the Original and The Next Generation were watched and loved. Now again I stopped with the movies. I saw a couple but they didn't do it for me.

My fav caption was Jean-Luc. I loved Spock. Deanna Troi (error above) was a cool character. I thought Dr. Selar and Warf were fantastic together. I couldn't stand Katerine Pulaski and was always wishing some elevator door would open and not be up yet and well.... nono5.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I think y'all talked about this before I know but it really is classic stuff ain't it!

icon_smile.gif:)-->Kathy

ps..I forgot her voice. Cool point.

pps or pss..Yup, glad the politics didn't get too intense. But hubby says 'tacks are major in sci-fi books.

The picture that CK posted was apparently from teh time of the original pilot, "The Cage." Maj was originally cast as the first officer, "Number One." The pilot didn't do well, and everyone was re-cast, except for a certain Science Officer with pointy ears. Maj wound up as Nurse Chapel. Most of "The Cage" was used in the only original ST two-parter, "The Menagerie," where Spock commandeers the ship to bring his former captain back to Talos V to live his life out in the illusion of vigor.

I enjoyed all the ST versions, especially DS9. I think "Enterprise" was finally doing in the third season what it should have in the first, but by then it was too late. icon_frown.gif:(-->

George

quote:
Originally posted by ChattyKathy:

icon_cool.gif

Kathy, this was "The Cage" (or, perhaps, "The Menagerie") that I wrote about earlier! Jeffrey Hunter was Captain Christopher Pike in the original pilot. He was replaced by Capt. James Tiberius Kirk in the new pilot, and the rest is history,

Sadly, Hunter was dead when they made "The Menagerie," so they had another actor play a badly disfigured Capt. Pike in the "non-flashback" scenes.

George

The 3rd season dvd set of Tar trek contains a remastered print of 'The Cage" in it's entirety.There are several scenes not invluded in 'The Menagerie', containing much more character development among '#1", the 'yeoman, and the doctor, as well as fascinating scenes of the enterprises in space to 'sell' the show.

Unfortunately , you get the rest of the 3rd season with it.For a number of reasons, Star trek really lost it's way that year. In my opininon, 'The Tholian Web" is the only episode that feels 'legitimate'.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

The 3rd season dvd set of Tar trek contains a remastered print of 'The Cage" in it's entirety.There are several scenes not invluded in 'The Menagerie', containing much more character development among '#1", the 'yeoman, and the doctor, as well as fascinating scenes of the enterprises in space to 'sell' the show.

Unfortunately , you get the rest of the 3rd season with it.For a number of reasons, Star trek really lost it's way that year. In my opininon, 'The Tholian Web" is the only episode that feels 'legitimate'.

I'm going to find the episode now and read it to refresh my memory but The Menagerie was great stuff I thought.

quote:
For a number of reasons, Star trek really lost it's way that year.

The main reason being that Gene Roddenberry ended his association with the show in a battle with NBC over Star Trek's time slot. The network moved it from Monday night to the "dead zone" of Friday at 10, to make room for a show they thought would get better ratings there.

Laugh-In