GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Thank you Pirate, and it appears you may have watched Star Trek yourself. But then if I'd been paying attention from the start of the original Nostalgia (sigh) I'd probably know that already right. icon_smile.gif:)-->

George, great summation but it was time probably for it to end. And of course you know that Klingons can only behave for so long before this thingy in their forehead makes them get all medieval.

And you're correct. Here's the one from the original I'm pretty sure.

st-tholianweb.jpg

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The departure (and I think death) of producer, Gene Coon was another huge reason why the origibal Star Trek tanked in it's 3rd season. Coon understood the series and characters at least as well as Roddenberry, and was responsible for much of the day to workings , and scripting of the show.

I'm reding a book now that prints the original , un altered version of 'the City on the Edge of Forever', by Harlan Ellison, which is often considered the best episode in the original series.It's an amazing look at what a story can go through before making it to the air. Ellison'r story featured a drug addicted crewman, drug smuggling on the Enterprise, murder among crewman,a much altered Enterprise as a result of the time distortion, and a Kirk who is NOT willing to allow Edith Keeler to die, and is prepared to sacrifice the universe for his love to her.

Whew. That's a far cry from what we saw. Ellison's story was much too sophisticated for '60s tv, and it doesn't surprise me that it was changed, tho the original story is much more intelligent and profound. It's amazing to me that it was still a great episode even with all the slashing and re writing.

Yhe gem of the book is the introductory piece by Ellison, in which he shred to pieces the television industry, Roddenberry, sci fi fans, actors, and anything else that crosses his mind. Anyone familiar with Harlan Ellison knows what a curmudgeon he is, and I never know when to take his anger seriously, except to believe he's always angry.

if interested-the website for the book's publisher is http://www.white-wolf.com 'The City on the Edge of Forever"

Hiway29,

Ahh! Nice website! I didn't know you had one but its a good thing because you are obviously very talented. And I saw one thing that made me think of the following... Click HERE! and see ifit sounds familiar because.. you worked for a company that produced it.

And yeah yeah, I know classical sounding themes isn't everybody's cup of tea but this was such an entertaining movie, IMO. The visuals that went with this music were stunning but I can't post those easily. I, uh, ripped the music from the DVD we own icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

sudo

George knows! .. George knows!

Kathy.. It's good news to me that your hubby and neighbor would get excited about the B-17 Flying Fortress. I had an uncle who flew the B-24 Liberator and was shot down behind enemy lines in Belgium 1943. He was MIA for over a year before the underground was able to smuggle him back to England.

The Confederate Air Force flies WWll vintage aircraft here in the Memphis area and periodically holds airshows. There are only a handful of B-17 and B-24 bombers still flying today. I considered myself privileged to have been given a tour through a B-17 about 10 years ago. It was so tiny compared to the WWll movies I'd seen!!

Having said all that, it makes discussion of Orlando Bloom seem so trivial, huh? But looking at the pic you posted, Kathy, I can't keep from asking.... What's the big whoop over Orlando Bloom?? I mean.. the guy looks so.... ordinary to me icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

sudo

Sudo, I admit the airplane is pretty cool but I know nothing about that stuff. I kind of figure it's a man thing. And I could be wrong of course.

Now as to Mr. Bloom. I've no idea what it is about him as I'm not much to be impressed with the outward of folks but he and Viggo Mortensen just had it in that movie. Kind of surprised me also. icon_smile.gif:)-->

viggo_mortensen150.jpg sigh

Thanks for the kind words concerning my website, Kathy and sudo. Sometimes I forget it's there, and I really need to update it. I use it mainly as an on line portfolio, and haven't needed to go for a job in a while, but I should keep it current.

The wolf drawing was done for a proposed movie about the wolves of Yellowstone that never got made. The sketch just found it's way onto the site, and I'm glad you liked it Kathy. It's the kind of thing I'm always trying to find time to do more of.

They are currently making 2 (!) sequels to that movie theme. That shows rare confidence in a proprty. The animated version I worked on a few years ago was shelved , partially because they decided to make it live.

Orlando Bloom does look wimpy, but his character certainly wasn't. Some of the more entertaining action in LOTR was Legolas offing orcs with the bow and arrow at an amazing speed,and taking down the giant elephant in the last movie. In the books, Legolas is maybe the least realized member of the 'fellowship', but Bloom made the character more than he could have been.

Wolves are a fantastic animal. At first glance you may consider them savage, since they kill the weak, old and young. But the overpopulation of their prey will eat the trees and plants and destroy the natural food process in the woods. I read that the Eskimos and Indians knew that without the wolves the herd of their prey would grow large and become weak and diseased. That concept is interesting. The need for something to kill certain animals in order to keep the balance that was originally set up.

But the drawing without the subject of the wolf facing the sun is grand. The majesty of the rocks and trees. And that tree lying across the stream is a fun touch. I could get all goofy and go into the symbolism but you get my point no doubt.

Is that doggie still with you?

Now regarding Legolas's (Greenleaf) looks. He looks like a Sindarin Elf in fact he'd probably be considered quite a looker I bet. icon_smile.gif:)--> I loved that mounting scene he did via some excellent special effects. And what about the skateboarding down the brick stairs. And your right he made the character much more passionate (my word).

Okay that's enough. Except I leave you with probably my favorite picture of him. legolas.jpg

Kathy, you certainly know wolves, and Tolkien, among many subjects.

Sadly, my dog Amber is no longer with me. I had to have her put down after she was ravaged by cancer- a sad tale involving incompetant vets,and unnecessary suffering on Amber's part.

She brought much joy to my life after rescuing her from the pound, and I've not had the heart to remove that picture.

Hiway29,

Re:"Sadly, my dog Amber is no longer with me."

Man, that hurts. I've had to put down only a few beloved pets in my lifetime but its a very painful task. I don't care what anyone says.. I'm telling you its like losing a friend. Worse if its not a very close friend.

sudo

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

Kathy, you certainly know wolves, and Tolkien, among many subjects.

Sadly, my dog Amber is no longer with me. I had to have her put down after she was ravaged by cancer- a sad tale involving incompetant vets,and unnecessary suffering on Amber's part.

She brought much joy to my life after rescuing her from the pound, and I've not had the heart to remove that picture.

You're too kind but I've forgotten more than I care to admit. But Tolkien was an interesting man. However I liked him more before I heard him speak in an interview. He had arrogance about him that even though he had the talent to back up the claim it seemed unbecoming. But he was talented and has to be in the top group for posthumous publications.

A little tidbit about him that I copied cause it was easier than me trying to spell these words from poor memory:

The surname Tolkien is anglicised from Tollkiehn (i.e. German tollkühn, "foolhardy", the etymological English translation would be dull-keen, a literal translation of oxymoron).

Wolves are just cool animals. And even though they do kill, they're not known to randomly cause death and destruction.

I'm so sorry about Amber. She looked like a faithful loving dog. I don't have one now but I'm a total sucker for dogs. Our back corner neighbor has a great Dane and she's nearly as tall as me and what a beautiful sweet animal she is. Seems to me Rick was just telling me about some great Dane that he had an encounter with that he claims was 9' tall. Anyway back to Amber. I bet you brought much joy to her life also. Dogs are precious friends.

Hiway29,

Re:"They are currently making 2 (!) sequels to that movie theme."

Yes indeed they are and I can hardly wait!! What could be more fun than a movie with swashbuckling at every turn, buxom ladies nearly bursting out of their corsets, magnificent photography, no filthy language and a sound score reminiscent of Korngold?? What's not to like??

Click on the poster to listen again!!

pirates2.jpg

sudo

I was on my way to a meeting on the same floor they were casting fo the sequels. Everyone and anyone who looked like a pirate in LA was lined up in the hall. If appearance is any indicator, the next 2 movies will be pretty wild.

I've also caught a glimpse of a few pirate ship sets. It still amazes me that they can film a ship on a soundstage and it's so conincing on screen.