• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeStGeorge:

Another favorite song of mine from the movie was a "spoonful of sugar" reprise in a minor key that Bert (as the chimneysweep) sings to Mr. Banks. I think it's the key point in the movie when Mr. Banks realizes that all the things he thought were important were really insignificant next to his children. It always brings a tear to my eye.

And Kathy, if the picture you were thinking of is the one I have in mind, it's actually in the "Spoonful of Sugar" song where she whistles the melody with a bird in harmony.

Thank you for the reminder of that scene. And yes, that's the one. But it required a download I wasn't willing to take on. And that was a great scene with Bert. Which is part of that adult thing I could remember somewhat.

Last point: how many of the songs were really sung by Julie Andrews, and how many were dubbed by Marne Nixon?

I've no idea at all. icon_frown.gif:(--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

George

Kathy,

Like I said... I just don't get it about Mr. Bloom. Some actors appeal to both sexes, and some more to one than the other. Take Sean Connery fer instance. Guys like him just fine. In fact, I would think he would be a fun guy to have at a Super bowl party. The ladies think he's sexy... even as an old coot. But Orlando?? Most guys are scratching their heads wondering what the girls see in him.

sudo

P.S. Yeah.. I *DID* see who posted there but didn't post here icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Truth be told had I seen Mr. Bloom for the first time in the role you brought here (and thank you again for that) well I'd not been...shall we say swoonie over this role. But in LOTR he was just so incredible in that role and brought to life someone even greater than the author did IMHO. I think it was his role in part, best I can tell ya. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

But Sean Connery only gets better. And yeah, he's sexy. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Now back to Mr. Bloom. No matter where I see him, in a magazine or onscreen he remains as I saw him in his first role. Now that has to be corny to hear.

But Sudo, I really don't feel much like playing. I just broke my PC. And just after Rick helped me get it all fixed. I don't know what it is about me and computers but you really don't want to know. Rick's gonna help me again tomorrow work providing and made me promise I'd not fret over it as I always do. When it comes to computers I'm not well I tell you man! So I thought if I came here maybe I'd not fret over it. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Now back to Sean Connery. He's a man's man. But I don't see this role of Blooms as that type role, and I reckon nor was LOTR, yet that was entirely different. He wasn't a man remember. icon_razz.gif:P-->

Sorry, just came home from a fishing trip so I haven't been keeping up...

Is it just me that finds "Mary Poppins" a horribly depressing story? I always did.

Here the kids are living wretched little lives with an anal-retentive jerk-off for a father. The father lives a horrible, pointless existence trying to measure up to an absurd, arbitrary standard, and never takes the time to enjoy life. So Mary Poppins comes along, who knows exactly how everything should be done.

The kids and eventually everyone in the household falls in love with her, and then she abandons them!

Bert will no doubt die of blacklung disease at a very early age - along with all of his friends. And the town will be overrun with GD pigeons, crapping all over everything while necessary duties are abandoned so everybody can waste away their time feeding filthy birds and flying kites.

It must be just me. I guess I take this stuff too seriously...

quote:
Originally posted by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames:

This is what IMDB has to say about Mary Poppins.

quote:
During the "barnyard singalong" segment of "Jolly Holiday", the woman who provides the voice of the singing geese is Marni Nixon.

This is the only mention of her in the trivia section.

I heard Marni on an episode of "Prairie Home Companion." She sang a song that gave me the impression she had dubbed Julie Andrews. This site, however, mentions her dubbing assignments and that she MET Julie Andrews on "Sound of Music," but nothing about dubbing her.

Marni Nixon

George

Okay so I reckon if I just sit on this side of the screen and smile it ain't gonna make it to y'all will it?

Wasway, I have an inside source. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Sudo, I'll come back to you in a bit okeedokee.

SaintGeorge is focused here. icon_eek.gif

George, um nope. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Sudo, a tad....

quote:
Who Is Les Paul?

To baby boomers, he's the name on their, or their favorite guitarist's instrument (as his recent commercial for Coors Beer made light of). To the previous generation, he's a musician with a string of pop hits in the 1950s. And there are lots of older folks around who still remember his days from the 1930s, playing in Fred Waring's Orchestra, and backing up Bing Crosby.

St.George,

We have two Georges here so to make sure there's no mistake.. I'm addressing you as St.George. The other Geo. here might object to being labled a "saint" wink2.gif;)-->.

Thanks for the info on Marni. I was already well aware of her talents but most folks are not aware of all the dubbing that goes on. Hiway29 could probably give us plenty more on that issue.

sudo

Well I'll add my two cents worth about Les Paul.He was the first to use what we call in the recoding bizz.overdubbing. Now mind you in those days there were no four.eight.sixteen or 24 track recorders. Les used two track recorders and kept transfering the tracks from one recorder to another playing all the parts to get the sound he wanted..And his wife Mary Ford was not to shabby either she added some nifty vocals to the mix.

Was it not Gibson that named a guitar after him.

Speking of guitar pickers anyone recall Johnny Smith