The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ted, if Sudo were here he'd say something inviting but you'll have to settle for the moment with me. Thank you for background on his being a recording pioneer. And I've not heard of Johnny Smith to my knowledge. As to the Gibson question, if you don't mind I'll let one of our more knowledgeable folk speak on that one. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Sudo, would you please consider sending me that program that degrades the quality and makes the file sizes smaller? I see there was a thread about that in computers where Rick mentioned you had that program also. Thank you kindly for considering it please Sudo. angelkit.gif

Tom my strange friend you! So did ya listen to the link, huh did ya? I'll wait to say who it is till you do okeedokee.

Kathy Johnny Smith was and still is a well respected jazz guitar man.Far as I know he still lives in Cos Co,He owened a music store there and played now and than aound The Springs I sat him with him once and sang a couple of old jazz standards.That was a thrill I shall never forget.Johhny Smith girl could he ever play.Can you find anything on him?

While I was away I see Ted was busy. Thank you for the research you did and sent me via email. I'll post the first section of the article then link it for the whole read. Thanks again Ted for adding to the thread. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Guitar Legend Johnny Smith — Alive and Well in Colorado Springs

(Lying low, hiding out and still swinging in a hammock)

by Bob Campbell

An avowed and consummate homebody, Johnny Smith takes happy refuge in a life of neighborly anonymity.

Supremely unpretentious and low-key, this jazz legend has lived in the same modest house in the same nondescript, working-class neighborhood since 1958. He places a lot of value, he says, in "staying out of everybody's way" and in enjoying the company of his wife of 41 years, Sandy, his three children, John, Dave and Kim, his three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Nothing in Smith's public bearing or conversational manner hints at his status as a music legend -- that he was a featured soloist with the Count Basie and Stan Kenton bands, that Charlie Parker was one of his biggest fans, that his 1952 recording of "Moonlight in Vermont" was one of the top-selling jazz records of all time, or that he was one of the top draws at Birdland back in its storied heyday as the mecca of jazz.

We're talking here about Ivywild resident and jazz genius Johnny Smith -- the guy hailed by critics, fellow musicians and aficionados as the foremost jazz guitarist since Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian.

The meteoric parabola of Smith's career -- from a hillbilly band in Maine to the upper echelons of the ultra-sophisticated Manhattan jazz world and subsequent anonymity in jazz nowheresville, Colorado Springs -- is as improbable as it is fascinating.

Having played with, arranged for and socialized with giants Lester Young, Benny Goodman, Stan Getz, Count Basie, Kenny Clarke, Arturo Toscanini, Eugene Ormandy, Dimitri Mitropoulos, Sarah Vaughn, Zoot Sims, Art Tatum, Stan Kenton and Bing Crosby, Smith is a library of insider anecdotes and celebrity reminiscence.

He was the man. He was there.

article

cover-2.gif

Johnny at his Ivywild home giving the masterly once-over to his Johnny Smith Gibson, which he designed.

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeStGeorge:

quote:
Originally posted by ChattyKathy:

SaintGeorge is focused here. icon_eek.gif

Kathy, I applaud your successful posting, but the song was completely unfamiliar to me.

George

SaintGeorge, sorry I was posting. Well I was going to wait till morning in case that strange one came back. But heck, I'm changing my mind. icon_razz.gif:P-->

It was known probably by all those guys but just in case not. It was Rick (bluzeman). icon_smile.gif:)-->

Kathy,

My my.. so many things being talked about at once that it reminds me of when my family all gets together. Which we will be doing this weekend... being Labor Day and all and my oldest comes home from college to boot. Gonna' cook out and do plenty of talking Ole Miss football and whatnot.

Are we through talking Mary Poppins? I have to agree with Geo Aar on a lot of what he said.. it was a strange movie, IMO. Very Disney like in appearance but un-Disney like in content.

Is everyone familiar with Marni Nixon now? A real musical talent presented to us by StGeorge. Did ya'll see that she was actually BEFORE the cameras singing in Sound Of Music??

Oh, Kathy.. you wanted that music file conversion program.. just go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com and download the latest version. You'll want to take a LOT of time to look around that site so you learn about codecs (and go to Codec Central) to convert your music files. It takes a while but I'm still learning about DVD's and video codecs. And believe me... video is FAR more involved than audio.

So that was the Bluzeman his-very-own-self playing that song you posted, huh?? He's not half bad. I've got a few new things to post but I'll let the dust settle first!

sudo

OK...I'm new around these parts but I had to pipe in just the same.

Chatty and I go way back on GS wink2.gif;)--> ~ we kinda met on this thread that Chatty had started. It was a wonderful thread on music and all musicians and music lovers started to appear. A wonderful time had by all.

But all that aside...I just finished reading that article on Johnny Smith and I was amazed!!!

Cannot wait to share it with a few of my music junkie friends.

Thanks! love3.gif

Toodaloo...'til the next time

ooops...

forgot to add... I listened to Bluzeman's little cajun piece that Chatty posted...very nice, very warm.

Thanks for sharing your talents with us Sir! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Actually, saw many Bluze/Jazz bands and performers while at the Montréal Jazz Festival this summer.

Enjoyed...a Canadian bluze performer Jimmy James as well as a wonderful group called Mississippi Heat. I walked into this small Jazz venue off the downtown streets of Montréal at about 12:30 am and sat down and watched this incredible woman belt out some amazing soulful music. What a moment in time that was!!!

Another performer I enjoyed was Ruthie Foster and Ray Lamontagne...both incredible!! Watching Ruthie was a musical life changing event in my life!

Also enjoyed an amazing evening of Pat Metheny...that was absolutely mind boggling icon_eek.gif I've never seen fingers move that quickly in my life!

Well I could blither on for hours ... but I'll refrain!

nighty night

Hi Ala, what fun to see you hear. You're such a music lover, and we've chatted for hours on this stuff haven't we.

I figured you'd enjoy that tune of Rick's. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I remember when you returned from the festival and you were all pumped about the great sounds you heard.

That was a lot of fun that thread we did together wasn't it? You were the one to keep it going oft times, what a dear you were. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Kathy,

My my.. so many things being talked about at once that it reminds me of when my family all gets together. Which we will be doing this weekend... being Labor Day and all and my oldest comes home from college to boot. Gonna' cook out and do plenty of talking Ole Miss football and whatnot.

Are we through talking Mary Poppins? I have to agree with Geo Aar on a lot of what he said.. it was a strange movie, IMO. Very Disney like in appearance but un-Disney like in content.

Is everyone familiar with Marni Nixon now? A real musical talent presented to us by StGeorge. Did ya'll see that she was actually BEFORE the cameras singing in Sound Of Music??

Oh, Kathy.. you wanted that music file conversion program.. just go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com and download the latest version. You'll want to take a LOT of time to look around that site so you learn about codecs (and go to Codec Central) to convert your music files. It takes a while but I'm still learning about DVD's and video codecs. And believe me... video is FAR more involved than audio.

So that was the Bluzeman his-very-own-self playing that song you posted, huh?? He's not half bad. I've got a few new things to post but I'll let the dust settle first!

sudo

I agree, ain't it fun. I do love just seeing folks pop in like the Northern red head just above. She's a sweetie ain't she? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Your being with your family this weekend is a great part of what makes life special don't ya think? We're probably doing a cul-de-sac barbque. I've told the men of this circle of my book I'm writing about them. I hesitate to bring much of it here I reckon but they are too much. I mean a couple things they have done is of late we've discovered we have a mother skunk and her cubs (whatever they are called) nested nearby. We think the folks to our right if you look outside my front door. Well I don't know how to describe directions. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> So the guys are putting together their plan. First they did the responsible thing and called and asked what could be done and they will come out and trap it but we have to tell them where they are. So the guys are working this out. But what caused it to be a real problem was one Friday night when the men of the circle were up in one of the garages till quite late. And at 2:30 in the morning the dog was let out, then the man of the house let the dog back in. Not one minute passes when the woman of the house comes flying out of the house into the garage with the dog in tow saying since you men have so much energy you can wash this dog that must have just got sprayed by a skunk and who jumped up in my bed to let me know about it. She turned around on her heels my hubby said and off to bed she went (I'm sure after changing the bedding). So they washed the dog. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> They don't have to leave the cul-de-sac to get in trouble I will tell you that.

I didn't much care for Mary Poppins either I'm thinking or I would remember more probably.

Thank you so much for that link and advice. I shall follow it tomorrow after work.

Yes that was one of his 'just messing around and came up with a Cajun tune' deals. I shall withhold my praise as I do tend to think he's a great musician. redface.gif:o-->

Ted just sent this and I asked him if I could post it.

quote:
Tell Rick I just listened to the link and I said He knows his way around that guitar darn good, I enjoyed hearing him play de blues. (The reason I wrote de blues that's Cajun for the blues.)(that was a note to me but I included cause heck maybe someone don't know it)

Thanks Kathy for the warm words!

Ted,

Just listened to a clip of that Moonlight in Vermont by Johnny Smith...nice stuff...smooth as velvet he was.

Made me think of some of those guitarists from Norah Jones' "HANDSOME BAND".

Those guys are a PHENOM!!! I had the pleasure of seeing her perform last summer...oh wow...what a treat!

Well...it's late and this music brain of mine needs some rest...

nighty night

Well, we're not doing a traditional Labor Day, though it may seem that way. It just happens to be my son-in-law's birthday, so we're barbecuing some shish-kabobs at our place. All that matters to me is that I get to play with my grandson! (Check the pics I've posted of "My Pal.") Since the kids' dad and stepmom have moved to Connecticut, and my son-in-law's folks are now in Chicago, we're the grandparents that get all the time with Jacob. Hee-hee-hee! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

Pirate's right..

It's from the movie A Summer Place alright but i don't think I ever saw it. But man.. that theme song.. its played on all the easy listening radio stations across the country. I looked it up on IMDB (the internet movie database) and it didn't get very good reviews. The story line seemed pretty spicy to me, though. That's the same time frame that Peyton Place was making big waves, too. Same sort of stuff. We all just LOVE stories about illicit love it seems icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->.

The principals are gone now. Troy Donahue and Sandra Dee. Both died relatively young and in kinda' tragic circumstances. Hollywood isn't a good place to garner life skills. Thanks for the post, Rick. It is indeed nostalgic to listen to.

sudo