The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only time I remember seeing Buddy's wife Pickles was when Buddy was going to leave her because he found out she had been married to someone else before him. She was talked about a lot but rarely seen.

Anybody see the reunion show that was on a few months ago? It was bizarre. The old clips were fuuny, but the supposedly present day stuff was really lame. Rose Marie looked like she had been embalmed.

Very good,Pirate. The other episode was only a cameo, where she shows up help Buddy celebrate a very important day.

Reunion shows are almost always painful, and this one was no exception. Larry matthews was so insignificant that he only appeared in one scene-by himself! Ron Howard would never have been given such treatment. It was a nice touch to have him living in the old house, and seeing that was probably more meaningful than seeing Larry.

Rob and Laura still manage to have some chemistry, and the scene where Rob is on the phone with Alan Brady gave one hope, but it quickly degenerated into the lamest of stories. Pairing Millie (who also looked embalmed, but surprisingly stole what show there was to steal) with Jerry Van Dyke was a little eerie and forced.

On a happier note, Dick Van Dyke, and Carl Reiner are both seem to be in excellent shape.Mary Tyler Moore has suffered with diabetes, but still is attractive. They could have handled a more challenging script than the dog they gave us.

I don't remember the premise...

But does anyone remember the episode where Rob gets hypnotized and then afterwards, everytime he hears a bell he acts drunk?? It's not politically correct today to mine laughs out of drunks but it used to be done all the time.. Remember Otis' antics on The Andy Griffith show? Or Red Skelton's bum??

Anyways, Dick Van Dyke did a great drunk impersonation but I hear he in fact DID have a drinking problem and gave it up.

sudo

I knew he was Irish, I'll tell ya that...

Sean Connery is a steal of a man, and a very fine actor...so much more than Ian Fleming's earthy brute could ever reveal.

I was smitten with him when I was a wee colleenlette watching him outsmart the leprachaun king in Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

I was seeing red when Tippie couldn't get it straight with him in Hitchcock's Marnie.

One of my favorite Connery moments is in The Longest Day; I was glad he made it onto and off the beach.

He was endearing as Papa Jones, and ya hadda love his work in The Untouchables...

...but far more appealing (to me) was his cameo role in the neat (albeit offbeat)Brit flick, Time Bandits. He played Agamemnon, the betrayed king...altho he didn't know of his legendary spousal betrayal at that time...Clymenestra shoulda been put out to dry.

we interrupt this thread for another ~ reminesce...

Totally agree that (as Reiner & Co. intended), The DIck Van Dyke Show is timeless. The writers quite purposely avoided time sensitive or newsy of-the-day items being sealed into any of the scripts so it could be enjoyed whenever past that original generation.

DVD did have a serious alcohol problem, which he ultimately put behind him, after a long time. Not unlike FDR, whose stricken legs and physical dibility were NOT broadcast ad nauseum,

VanDyke had the luxury of battling his demons (moreso than today, anyway) in a more private, or guarded arena.

In the show, Jerry the dentist? lol...like so many actors, his passion was to direct...and he did direct many of the episodes.

The best episode that I remember from that show was the one where Rob was convinced that they had brought the wrong baby home from the hospital. He was sure that their baby was switched with another couple so he contacts them and invites them to his house to figure it out.

Then they show up and Rob answers the door and the other couple is black. I remember seeing that like it was yesterday, one of the funniest moments ever on tv. It wouldn't be nearly as funny on a show today, but in the early 60s it was groundbreaking.

Pirate,

I thought it was LAURA that thought they had the wrong baby. I remember the scene where the other couple comes to the door. Rob opens the door and starts belly laughing but we can't see the other couple at first. Finally, they step inside and we see why he's been laughing.. they are black. Yep.. good one.

sudo

Yes, it was Rob that somehow thought they got the wrong baby.

True, it was groundbreaking on two counts...one that the other couple was black and two, that they let them in the house.

Here's something interesting tho...they were a "finely featured" black couple, which, in those daze, was the unspoken requisite for mainstream casting...ala Diahann Carrol in Juliaetc. oH wait, there weren't that many "etcs." back then...lol

Blacks who had darker skin and broader ethnic features were almost always relegated to the ranks of domestic servitude.

A notable exception to this might have been the early TV broadcast show of Amos 'n Andy...that was really something bold and new...but then, the original radio show starred white folk in the lead roles.

We've come a long way, mammy!

Anyway, it was Rob Petrie who suspected the baby switch. smile.gif:)--> Funny stuff.

That would be Crazy Guggenheim, aka Frank Fontaine. Every week Crazy would visit Joe the bartender (hiya Joe... hiya Mr Dunahee), and for 5 minutes play this wacked out character.

Then Joe would say-'how bout a song, Crazy', and he would suddenly turn into Frank Fontaine and sing some lovely, yet boring to my 10 year old taste. song.

Then I'd watch Andy Griffith, and there's Gomer Pyle singing like an angel. Made me wonder if all the 'retarded' characters on TV

had to be good singers.

Oh-Red Skelton's pigeons were Gertrude and Heathcliff. I liked Clem, Freddie the Freeloader, and Sheriff Deadeye, but ultimately was not that wild about Skelton. It seemed like part of the show for him to not make it through a sketch without breaking himself up, and his pantomime bits just didn't do it for me. Still I watched every week.

I much preferred Gleason and the 'American Scene Magazine'. It's all about ambience, and I'd love to find the music that was played during the skits. Those silents skits were funny.

The black male in the Dick Van Dyke episode was Greg Morris, who went on to 'Mission Impossible'. He may have been finely featured, but he and his wife were non apolgetically black.

Another excellent 'race relation' episode was the one where Rob is to be presented an award from a Black organization ,for the work the Alan Brady Show had done. He mistakenly gets his hands in black dye that laura was using, and his hands are covered in unremovable black dye. He 's rightfully afraid of accepting the award with black hands, and shows up wearing the whitest gloves you ever saw, which really looked awkward when he tried to shake hands with gloves on.

Rob rescues the event by taking off the glove and being honest about what happened.

There was also the episode where Godrey Cambridge played an FBI agent using The petrie's home for a stake out. This was great because his race never came up, so it was not a 'big deal' that he was black.

Pretty good track record for a show of that time.

Hiway29,

You're too knowledgeable for your own good mad.gif. How do you expect the rest of us around here to compete?? Here's a hard one for you. It's not hard for me because I remember it well.. but it's tough for most folks.

Click HERE! and be cryptic if you know it icon_wink.gif;)-->

sudo

An interesting theme, Sudo, and the clues are in the context of some previous posts.

Seemed like everytime I saw it, they ran the episode where a ring is lost in a jelly donut, and the main character eats his way through a platter od donuts to find it.

Dropping back for a minute to talk about the "drunks" on T.V.

Isn't it amazing how many there were? Dean Martin made a career out of playing the drunk, as did Foster Brooks (a one-trick pony if ever there was one), and as already mentioned, Red Skelton (I was never a fan), Crazy Guggenheim, Sid Caeser, and countless other stand-up guys. Who knew alcoholism was so damn funny?

I wonder why we never moved on to heroin addicts, speed-freaks, or cokeheads? There must be some great humor to be mined there.

The 50's (and early 60's) were a peculiar time, weren't they?