GreaseSpot Cafe

Oh where, oh where has Flat Stanley gone?

Steve!

Okay, one of our children, Zach, the second grader, has a class project going on.

Every child in his class drew and colored Flat Stanley.

Flat Stanley was a (fictitious) boy that was flattened in a bookcase, and now travels the world.

Zach's assignment is to send Flat Stanley to someone in another city, state, or country, and that person will make an entry in Flat Stanley's passport (yes, he comes with a passport that has about 10 pages), then send a postcard back to Zach's classroom, and forward Flat Stanley to someone else in another city, state, or country, and then whoever has Flat Stanley after May 1, 2005 is supposed to mail him and his passport back to the class.

The kids have a lot of fun with it.

I saw Flat Stanley and immediately thought of the folks at Greasespot Cafe. There are people here that live in all parts of the world.

Would anyone be willing to host Flat Stanley for a short time, send a postcard to Zach's class, and then send Flat Stanley to his next host? He doesn't eat much - nothing, actually - and since he is flat and fits in a 4" x 6" envelope, doesn't take much space. The only expenses involved would be the cost of a postcard and postage for the postcard and to send Flat Stanley to his next destination.

I thought perhaps a good start might be someone in the UK or Australia or Canada. Trefor? A la Prochaine? Girl from Oz (if you're still around)?

Anyone that would enjoy participating, please send me an email at stevelwall99@yahoo.com. And thank you!

Edited by Steve

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, krys it's pretty neat!

Our two girls did it when they were in first or second grade and they got soooo excited whenever a postcard would come to the school!!!

I think we parents get just as excited as the students....I loved hearing about all the different postcards and such when my girls would come home after school.

It's something a child remembers for many, many years.

This is so great, I've got about 10 people lined up for this, and then who knows where it will go?

I'll be responding to the various emails shortly, I'm putting together a sort of a route map. Tom, you'll probably be getting it before Pawtucket, for reasons I can't explain here.

Thanks, everyone! I'll post updates as I hear about Flat Stanley's travels!

My son had a Flat Stanley as well. He shipped it to his sisters at college and they took some great pictures. It's a great idea.

Also, back in the beanie baby craze days, someone did something similar with a Peace bear. He had a website with pictures of all his travels, and anyone who got him added a button or trinket to his outfit. It was a lot of fun, and I used it with my girl to teach a little geography, tracking where he went on a map.

Sure, Steve, send him here!

Regards,

Shaz