GreaseSpot Cafe

Has anyone else realized this?

ciythog

I may be overstepping some boundries here (as I have no children)but where I work there is a college student that does NOT know how to work... sitting behind a desk reading a magazine when she doesn't have a customer... the thing that I realized is that it is MY generation (40's) that are her parents...

Are we teaching children that they don't have to do anything? What is this poor girl going to do when she gets into the real world and have to pay her own way... and I see it all over...how often in the grocery stores do the high-school/college age students offer to carry out your groceries when that is what they are paid to do?

I got mad... at my generation and myself for not teaching them how to work...

I can remember when I would get upset with my parents because they made me work around the house and earn spending money by doing things in the neighborhood... like babysitting... Now days it is amazing how many teenagers have rooms full of stuff that they haven't worked for... and it was handed to them because the wanted it...

I think that maybe we should take a look around and see what is going on... why are people in my generation doing this to their children???

I'm not saying that everyone is like that... it just seems to be the majority of people...

Any opinions???

CIYTHOG

Some of us that work at the group home I am at, have "better work ethics" than others.

Unfortunately, it is up to those of us who are in our "50's", who have to set the example for those of the younger staff, who seemingly have no concept of what "responsibility" means.

I have no kids either, but having worked with a lot of younger folk, I see exactly what you mean, and wonder about it myself from time to time. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Not sure if I can offer a plausible explanation, but I certainly do agree to your observation.

Hmm, I'm not ready to write off the whole generation just yet. I worked with a 23-year-old just before I left CT. She worked her tushy off, was not afraid to make mistakes and listen to corrections, and was a pleasure to work with (contrasted with our boss). Ditto the young couple I worked with several years ago, who were always respectful and responsible.

Up here in ME, I have been impressed with a young lady at the local drugstore, who is always courteous, and downright cheery and helpful to the elderly customers. The younger children I work with here are, as a rule, much more respectful and pleasant than those I worked with in affluent Fairfield County, CT, where the children feel entitled, and regard their teachers as hired help to be exploited, as do their parents (a sweeping generality, and generally true in my experience).

In my opinion, the attitude of the parents has a huge influence on the attitude of the children in the workplace. And yeah, the parents are our generation, the coddled baby boomers.

Regards,

Shaz

Guess I would have to go with Shaz on this one...most of the younger folks I know are hard workers...the young folks I worked with at the plant in the last couple of years...work very very hard....many times 12 hour days without complaint.

My kids though not old enough to be in the work force yet, worked all summer with their Dad putting on roofs (hot nasty work) assisting folks in Orlando with storm damage...digging ditches for drainage...helping tarp and shutter the neighnorhood before the 2nd storm hit...aiding elderly people who would have lost a lot...without even getting paid. I hear that they were invaluable...

I am quite encouraged by the callibur of the younger folks in our area...I don`t know if being rural makes a difference...but most kids around here grow up putting long hours in on the farm.

Many that I know in the 25 to 35 yr old range here, work the farm to keep it in the family AND a full time job.

You cannot make a living farming...so you have to bring in income as well...or lose the farm that has been in the family 3 plus generations.

I have three sons. 22, 19, & 13.

I'm mean. I own my own bussiness and start dragging them to work starting at age 12. By the age of 15 they have to work with men out on construction sights.

The first thing I teach them is life isn't fare get over it.

As an employer I see differant people with differant work ethics. If there parents worked then generaly they work well.

When I get someone who never has really struggled in life then I find a bum.

Work is what your parents and life teachs.

Parents make your children work on chores around the house and then don't pay them. Its what comes from being a member of a family.

Don't teach they that they are oued. They are the ones that oue others.

I almost always have college aged teacher's aids in my preschool. Most have been very good, some have been lazy.

It helps to have very clear guidelines on what you expect them to do and what is not allowed(lots of college kids want to read while the kids are playing outside. Sorry, you have to watch them, or even interact!)

The biggest problem I have isn't really laziness though, but playing favorites. While it is great for an aid to bond with a child, it really hurts all the kids if they have a favorite(and usually the favorite is a cute little girl with nice clothes,) who gets special priviledges and attention.

All the kids want attention, all of the kids want a special job. So I have to watch for that.

It is about owning your life .

If we fail to teach our children how to work they own nothing. they stay at the mercy of what the other guys dictate they must do or not do. they do not grow up into adults or leaders .

take ownership for your own LIFE!!!!

just do it!!

now Im not saying own a home IM saying own who you are what YOU do and how you answer to the world for who you are!!!

and this involves pride in knowing it belongs to you own self, my money, my home, my family, yes! my responsibilities to help others with me!

these ideals is what gives life its great kick and JOY and pure zeal for living!!!

otherwise it may be about another word that is popular today.

entitlement.

some think because they got pregnate with a child they are now entitled to have everyone eles pay for their choice... some think it should be an automatic thing to have food put on the table at supper time because they are alive they must be fed so they are entitled to eat and live. like a pet cat . they do not contribrute to their life they have no real life other than one of a child or pet. how very very sad for them. Life should be riot of adventures and purpose.

I do not think we are entitled God does not think so and dare I say most of America is changing the idea we are all entitled to live in amanner we chose without effort just because we are alive .

The fact is those who live well have worked a great deal and long for their materials and possessions. If you want to compete with all the world has to offer for stuff then compete it does not fall from the sky.

For those that still think it may ,with rich parents still giving them a free ride. that is fine it truly is. It is when they work with the rest of us who have to work to eat they find a new way of living .

I did something well today , I got paid for it , I feel good about being a part of something in the world. I am needed I am good at what Ido I am rewarded . I can now dream of bigger and better things for my life.

work is what makes life GOOD and exciting and we belong to a community and a world we make a difference!!!!!

Aperson has to escape from the family world and its shell to appreciate their own self and what they can own in life , this takes time and some kids need to learn the hard way that the real world of grown ups doesnt hand it to ya , we all work together for it!

big lesson in life.

I've noticed it - except that it depends on where you live.

Children learn what they live...I forget who wrote that poem, but it does represent the facts pretty well.

Sometimes I think back and say....I wish things were the same as when I was younger...and then I realize that would be terrible! I do believe that too many people don't seem to embrace the values I do...and many of you too! Is it our up-bringing? Training in twi?

I know that facet of our society exists, and sometimes it seems prominent, but I'm not willing to say that "it" is a pervasive force in our "day and time".

I notice it-I notice it all the time and it perturbs me to no end---

but being fair I have to admit it took me a long time to learn how to work when i was first entering the work force and alot of the kids that I bitch about probably arent that far removed from what I looked like to others at that age...

It still sucks counting on them to do a job, or worse yet hiring them, but most of the time I cut em a little slack ...it may be taking some of them, who arent really bad kids, a little time to figure things out

I hear ya ciythog.

It's a pity.

I think they feel entitled...and their parents were no help either.

Even now...I'm rarely idle. I knit or spin or write letters...I always have a book with me, or something of value to read...

I think it's pretty sad and a waste.

My grandma taught me how to make easter eggs from the old country...the old fashioned way...it's phenomenally different than dropping in a tablet of color. It's an art form.

I dare say people don't seem to have time anymore to pass on these traditions...

it's a pity.

I made an offer to a high school student a while ago to help me move some furniture and I would pay him $10.00 per hour. He wanted to know how many hours so I said only about 2 hours but I would pay him $20.00 if it only took one hour. He didn't think it was worth it to work more than an hour if he could get the full amout for only half the time.

I got another to do it and paid him $20.00 for 1 1/2 hours, he was very grateful for the money.

I haven't written off the whole generation... I have several nieces and nephews that work very hard... 4 of them are homeowners (all in their 20's)...

I guess that it is the ones that don't do what they are suppose to do that make me sad, that they think that they can get by in this world by not doing anything...

I know that there are plenty of good, hard working college age students out there... I would just like to see more of them...

And believe me I think that there is nothing wrong with spoiling your child...but on the same hand they should know how to work... and to know when they can slack off and when they can't...There are days at my job that I slack off... the clue is... I have completed everything that I need to... but everyday... I don't think so... I have to take care of myself with no one to help me and I cannot afford to lose my job and call my parents to bail me out...

Since I was 18 the longest that I have ever been without work is 6 weeks... and there have been times when I have worked 3 jobs to make ends meet.. Will this generation be able to do that? I don't know and that is what bothers me too...

CIYTHOG

I work because I need money, not because I really believe that my employer is a great company that is doing great things in the world (well, cellphone service is nice I suppose.) I do believe that I have a good work ethic, but it's for personal reasons and not because of any concern for the future of the company.

I think that blaming the youth of today or their parents is only half of the problem. Companies have changed, and they are even less loyal and bigger backstabbers than lazy employees. I've been laid off, I've been forced to work unpaid (if I wanted to keep my job), and all the other things that companies do to screw their workers over. The days where you get a job at 18 and work there until you retire are long gone. These days, you have to take care of yourself, and you have to have an antagonistic view towards your employer if you work for a company. They will fire you so their CEO can buy a new yacht and some cocaine to snort off of naked hookers.

Anyway, I do think it's important to do a good job and to live up to your end of the work contract. However, it's stupid to go out of your way for a company that you don't own. The company won't return the favor.

Thank you Shaz...I came home today and my 12 yr old had dusted, vacuumed nad sorta mopped....I praised him and priased him....Albeit it was 12 yr old quality but nonetheless it was awesome!

He fights when asked to do the dog poop though...but so did I when I was a kid.

AND BY THE WAY

we have the first Big Wheel he ever got at 4 yr old, becasue he sold toys at a garage sale to buy it...and the busted up thing that is left is too close to his heart for us to get rid of.

quote:
I've been forced to work unpaid (if I wanted to keep my job),

Yeah, no excrement, Mister P, I get to do this at my job too. The sad thing about it is, I belong to a UNION (I have yet to come across a union that was worth a damn).

I work for a trucking co. which delivers parts for one of the world's largest car manufacturers. If every single driver would walk out just for one day, I'm sure the mfr. would have someone at my co. telling them to get us back to work. Unfortunately, there are some people who are so afraid of losing their jobs, they would probably cross the picket line, and the rest of us would be out in the cold.

The other side of it is, a union is only as strong as the people involved (at least to a certain extent). In the past, I will admit to not having been an active member. From what I heard, the union meetings were not so much about improving OUR lot as the people in charge. The meetings have also involved the throwing of physical punches.

However, you can bet the house I will be at the next meeting. It may not do any good, but at least my lower sphincter will get some relief by bitching about it.

I'm not so sure that it's a matter of 'work ethic' but more a matter of competence and conscientiousness. I am often amazed at how little real competence people have. What's worse, it doesn't seem to bother them that they haven't performed to the best of their ability, so long as they get paid on time.

I hire people because I have a problem that needs solving. I don't hire them to become a problem themselves or make more for me.

I do agree that there does seem to be almost a sense of entightlement in many younger workers. I am ceratin that teaching children how to work is the parents responsibility, not anyone elses.

"I am ceratin that teaching children how to work is the parents responsibility, not anyone elses."

And speaking of teaching children. . . .

Saturday I took my kids hiking. We brought along two boys from the neighborhood (ages 7 and 9). The younger boy would not listen to anything I told him regarding safety and poison ivy. Additionally, he antagonized the hell out of my 7 year old. I told him to stop and to leave my son alone but he refused to listen. Aaron finally had enough and turned around and decked him. Then this little boy had the nerve to look at me as if I should punish Aaron. (And normally I would, because I don't allow hitting). In this case I made an exception to my rule and told the little boy he got what he had been asking for and that I had warned him to stop.

The next day, another boy from our neighborhood was playing here in my home with my kids. This boy took a pair of scissors and cut a hole in one of our bean bag chairs and started pulling the stuffing out and throwing it all over the place!

I am just floored by how bad these kids behave in other people's homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It used to be, little ones might give their parents some trouble (testing and all) but at least they would listen to other adults when in someone else's home!