GreaseSpot Cafe

i need bird advice, if anyone can help me

excathedra

I have a cockatial that landed on my roof about 8 months ago. My son spotted it and called to it and it flew down, came inside and has been here ever since. It's a male and whistles (we whistle back and forth to each other), have taught it to kiss and it will perch on your finger, shoulder, head, knee...wherever you place it. Was our FIRST bird also and had no clue what to do with it so went to the pet store to ask. Had to shut it in the bathroom while I went to the store to buy a cage, etc. so the "poop" was contained while I was gone icon_smile.gif:)-->. Has turned out to be a great bird pet. My cat sleeps on top of the cage at night (no...cat doesn't try to get bird). The bird actually whistles to the cat. The cat ignores the bird, doesn't try to eat the fish, the dogs ignore the cat and they all cuddle together actually.

I dont know how much you want to spend--I have a friend with an African Grey parrot (he is definitely not 'thousands'probably about $5-800) that is just shy of human--he greets me by name, laughs at my jokes, whistles just about every TV theme song he has ever heard, has a good sense of humor (he knows when to curse, give an exaggerated fart or kissing sound) and is a good affectionate pet. There is of course care and some training of the bird involved, but as long as you dont get a squawker, African greys can really become part of a family....when I visit he loves to come over, perch on my finger or shoulder, or just sit near me and talk---he also knows a few tricks -he plays dead if you shoot him and says 'got me! and he will ring exactly like the phone to get people to come into his room and then laugh at them when they do....

African Greys are verry smart--I saw a show on the discovery channel a few years ago where they actually figured a way to measure their comprehension and gave them a test based on colors, shapes and verbal commands--it confirmed what I already believed from experiences with 'Alex' -- they have the ability to think and interact appropriately.

Its uncanny at times-the timing of his comments.

As far as ex's son being too young--well maybe now, but the good thing about Greys is that they have a very long lifespan and could be with him for a very good chunk of his life.

They are definitely highly likable and lovable creatures

Dear Exie:

How are you doing? Here are a few things to consider about birds. While African Greys are great talkers they also get bored easily and they live real long. A bored bird can develop bad habits such as feather pulling and screaming. Parakeets are not really good talkers, but they are inexpensive and you can gauge if your child is responsible as a caretaker. Another choice not mentioned is a myna bird. They are great talkers and they do not live as long as parrots. However they are fruit eating birds so they have loose stools. Also they are not as cheap as they were years ago. I think the government has stopped the importation of wild birds from India. Best of luck with your new pet!

EWB

thanks thanks thanks and more thanks.

i would love to have a bird like that mstar, but no way i can afford it at the moment. i know i said i don't want to spend "thousands" and i've been offered one for around 875. but not yet, at the moment anyway.

anyway i'm still shopping around.

and i appreciate all your input. you are wonderful people.

i'm snowed in so i can't go visiting birdies right now.

?

i'm a new momma !!!! it's a cockatiel ! (don't know yet if boy or girl, it's too young to know)

it looks a lot like the sweethearts wrestlenot posted

it's grey and white and has orange cheeks, if it stays grey and white it's a girl, and if it stays only grey, it's a boy, or something like that

i think its name is going to be rascal

i never knew a few miles from here was a bird farm ~ they are all raised from babies. it was awesome. (and you bring them in to get them clipped and whatever for free) for the rest of their lives. and you can call them anytime for advice

there was an mstar type bird there. all he wanted was to be petted. we asked about him and they said "that's the old man." he's 70 years old and we've had him here since he was a baby

anyway i'm so excited and my son is beside himself

i wanted to tell you all thank you so much

this is one of the happiest days of my life icon_wink.gif;)--> ha ha ha ha ha ha ha really !!!!!!!

?