GreaseSpot Cafe

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" release date announced

Steve!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read the last one yet. Maybe on this break.

What I enjoy about Harry is he doesn't give up and I love the magical element of these books. I also like the success story of the author J. K. Rowling! Going from public assistance (on the dole in the U.K.) to being one of the richest women in the world!

• 6 months later...

I see a day of reading in many of our futures!!!

(and I ain't comin back to gs until I've finished the book...don't want the surprise taken away)

Chas...I SO agree!!! The movies are NEVER, EVER, EVER as good as the books!!!!

If my guess on who the Half-Blood Prince is correct,

I shall be smirking for weeks.

I've been throwing around a real dark-horse candidate since 1/1/05.

I'm hoping we'll also settle whether or not "Snuffles" survived the events of Book 5.

I say "absolutely", more than 1/2 the fans say "absolutely NOT".

I could've read it earlier today, our book supplier dropped off three copies this morning to put on our shelves at 12:01! But I just locked them in my bosses office. The hungry looks on the faces of the store's Potterheads was frightening. = 0

We weren't there for ten minutes before my daughter joined a card game in the music aisle. So I wandered around until I found a book, Camus' The Plague. I was just finishing the part where 6,000 rats a day were dying a gruesome death in a small French village by the sea, when our number (we were 298) was called. One thing I found out tonight is that I'm getting too old to sit cross-legged on the floor for more than half an hour.

We got the BJ's rate at the local Borders. Forty percent off for anyone who pre-ordered. It was crowded, for sure, but pretty sedate, considering. They had a whole system down to herd everyone through. Sort of reminded me of the contortions I went through for those Teenie Beanie Babies, cruising through every McDonald's drive-thru within a ten mile radius. (You just wait, satori. Your turn's coming. We'll see who calls who pathetic.)

I'd let you all know if the latest Harry Potter is any good, except I've barely seen the cover. It will be awhile before I get to read it. I'm third in line.

Reikilady: That's how my daughter got introduced to Harry Potter. I think she was still in elementary school (when was the first one published?), when she asked the librarian for a good book to read. Harry Potter had just come in, and my daughter was the first one to take it out. She's been hooked since. I mean, seriously hooked, like she (and now her sister) has read the whole series I don't know how many times. There was a major commotion in the house just a week or so ago when they both wanted the same volume. Amazing.

This has become a tradition - going to the bookstore at midnight whenever a new Harry Potter is released. The last couple of times, she did the whole costume thing, and had the party, and all that. This time, she bypassed all that, and just went straight for the book. I don't think she'll sleep tonight. Or tomorrow.

Steve: What's Spellbound 2005?

By contract the new Harry Potter book could not be sold until 12:01 A. M. today!

Two years ago, a small bookseller was going to let his customers get their books when he got the shipment and he was told that was against the policy of the release, etc.!

I'm reading Oak's copy of "Counting up and Counting Down" by Harry Turtledove and it is awesome.

I have to read the 5th one before I read the 6th Harry Potter book.