GreaseSpot Cafe

10 Things We Don't Know About You

Shellon

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you guys liked the photo.

Yes, we do look serious, don't we? So young and earnest.

Belle, I like you, too!

Hiway, you're hardly an old fart. The ex-hippie part I don't know about. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I liked The Standells, too. Larry and his wife were very kind to open their beautiful home and garden to us for our wedding, and all the guys in the band were fun and played for the reception gratis.

I love that dirty water, Boston you're my home.

Well, not really but a COOL song.

Sidnote, there was an amplifier brand named Standell, no connection to the band. I had one the size of trunk with a speaker bottom, 4 X 12, the whole thing was about 6 feet high. I was about 16 or so at that time and when my band would play I loved to stand in front of it on "10" and FEEL the music. Oddly, my hearing is still very good.

Linda Z, great photo. You look so sweet. Thanks for putting that up.

Speaking of Dirty Water---About 10 years ago I joined about 1200 other guitar players on Bostons Esplanade to play Dirty Water in an attempt to set a world record....(we fell a little short), but it is the theme song of the Red Sox...

I smoked a joint with Muddy Waters in between his sets in the early 70's

I went to bluesman Robert Johnsons birthplace today in rural Mississippi.

mstar, you're my idol! A j with Muddy Waters?! Did he hotbox? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I'm doing a flashback here, with the photos and the smoke. mj's a guitar player. I will pass this on, then, from 1971 then, Wichita, KS. socks plays pool. Or did, at one time.

pool_ks.jpg

OMG, this is awesome! Y'all have to be the coolest greasespots I know.

Okay, it IS Dirty Water. I may not know the title but I can belt it out pretty well in the car if the CD is up so loud you can't hear me. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

MStar1, they have the greatest blues festivals in Mississippi. I used to go to it every year and was usually a major minority but always had a great time and great smokes. icon_wink.gif;)--> My little brother used to frequent some lesser known holes in the wall and one of them was a favorite of BB King. He met him on quite a few occasions jamming there.

Love the pic, Socks! Thanks for sharing it. You do look like quite the pool shark there.

quote:
Originally posted by socks:

Sidenote, there was an amplifier brand named Standell, no connection to the band. I had one the size of trunk with a speaker bottom, 4 X 12, the whole thing was about 6 feet high. I was about 16 or so at that time and when my band would play I loved to stand in front of it on "10" and FEEL the music. Oddly, my hearing is still very good.

I remember begging my parents to buy me a Standel amp. It was called an Eliminator, or Abominator, or something like that. It had colored plastic push buttons on it.

I'm real glad now that they said no, but at the time I didn't think I'd live to the weekend without it.

They'd have been happy to buy me that little Fender amp that I'd give anything to own now, but it was way too uncool.

Thanks Belle, I think the look says "Please don't scratch, please don't scratch, please don't scratch!" icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I hesitate to put it up but figured what the heck. It's nice to see that much hair on my head as my current battalion of soldiers have taken some hits these last years, and although they can skirmish with the best of them some good men have been lost. (head down in respectful silence, those in back shield your eyes from the glare icon_biggrin.gif:D--> ). Proud ones they were, and will always be remembered for fighting the Good Fight to their last breath.

Satori, they were big honking things alright. But if you're gonna ride the dragonfly you need wind! The one I had was gray-blue, with silver knobs seems like. I think I couldn't keep the payments on that honker and moved over to a Fender Deluxe, a sweet little amp then and still.

Ha! Probably jardinero. Patches, and patches on the patches. It was a '60s' thing I think. Disco flares hadn't hit yet icon_biggrin.gif:D--> But they were clean. icon_cool.gif

Okay, I think I sorta derailed things here...sorry, Shell.

Lemme think of one to nudge us back on track.

Hmmm.

I'm terrified of most insects. Centipedes and millipedes are the worst, followed by silverfish and any kind of beetle that has anything on it remotely resembling pincers.

*shuddering even to type those creepy bug words*

I'd sooner give Fear Factor a million dollars (yeah, like I have a million dollars) so I wouldn't have to eat a bug than to put anything as disgusting as a cockroach in my mouth.

Spiders don't really bother me. Go figure.

Yes ex-no bananananana's -just a quirk of mine--

--and i have been pleasantly surprised Belle backroading through Mississippi and the deep south for the last week --the music has been even richer than I imagined ---you can feel the history...

isnt anyone else curious abouts socks'

l.-i.t.e.i.a.w.h.l.?

Here's one I just found out yesterday.

My Hebrew name is Leah Bas Nahum (which I think means Leah daughter of Nahum). My cousin was cleaning out some things and came across the certificate of my "becoming an honored member in the faith of Israel". Sort of like a Jewish birth certificate. My Grandmother must have had it done when I was born and then my cousin must have ended up with it when she died.

Anyway, it was kind of a cool suprise to find in the mail yesterday.

Oh yeah and my birthday is Adar I 30, 5727.

HUuuummm don't know if I can come up with, 10.

1. After working for 20 year as an RN, I figured out I hate it and retired.

2.I am an video playing fool, esp Final Fantasy.

3.Found a stray foo-foo dog. Nobody claimed her, so now she is MY foo-foo dog. And must be with me at all times. I hate foo-foo dogs. I like real dogs, like Labs or a great dane. icon_eek.gif

4.I love to read, we have had to order pizza many times because I lost track that it was supper time. And hubby thinks I am supposed cook for him?! Wait just one more chapter dear icon_wink.gif;)-->

5.I love to garden. And this year hubby must build me a real fence, so the dogs won't dig it up. You want supper honey? Where's my fence?!?!

6.I would love to go to New Zealand, but it rather a long way to paddle. Kidlet has a penpal over there.

7.I am trying to learn to paint. So far I have produced a landscape that really looks more like Abe Lincoln on a bad acid trip. sheesh.

8.I really really hate bats. The mammal not the wooden one. They are just creepy.

9.Huuummm I think I really think I may need to get a life....

I just remembered this today as we were waiting to find out if 1000Names won the ugly truck contest. . . .

In my younger pre TWI days, I got to go back stage at a Go Go's concert and take pictures of the opening band (I can't even remember who it was now - oh yeah Helmut) for an interview. I was only able to take one picture of the Go Go's, but I did get to see them running around in their underwear getting ready for the show. Too bad I wasn't a guy, probably would have enjoyed in more then. icon_wink.gif;)-->

I was one of the 100,000 people who participated in the first Earth Day at Union Square, NYC in 1970. I was 15 and took the train into NYC from Rye by myself to do so.

I went to Union Square by myself again today. I went for a booksigning by Christo, the artist, at Strand Bookstore. It was over when I got there. But a pots and pans drummer in the Port Authority subway station made the trip worthwhile. I danced a bit with the brothers and sisters.