GreaseSpot Cafe

grandma and grandpa.... what do you call yours ?

excathedra

not that I'M old enough to be one icon_wink.gif;)-->, right shell ? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

my mom called her grandmother "daddy's mommer"

seriously, when she would go up to her and ask her a question or whatever she would say, "can i go out on the sidewalk, daddy's mommer?"

we had other grandparents in our family called meemaw and peepaw (icon_wink.gif;)--> paw)

i called my one grandma "mommer" (momma) and my grandpa "poppy"

my mom asked to be called "daisy" but everyone ignored her

my sister is going to be a grandma and she is married to a polish fellow. they have adorable names but i can't remember them now. she is "struggling" with what to be called....

how 'bout you all ?

I told my son that when he has kids he should teach them to call me Aunt Linda. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But seriously, when we were kids, it was just the standard "Grandma" & "Grandpa," on both sides of the family.

My son, when he was little, pronounced Grandpa "Crappaw," and it sorta became a family tradition for my nephews to follow.

Exsie, I just got your e-mail today. Well, it was there, sitting in the e-mail box, but I don't check that address every day. You should have my private e-mail address, too, which isn't the one you used.

I'll send the other addy when I answer, which will probably be tomorrow cuz I've been all over hell and gone shopping for a new car today and I'm pooped and a little grumpy (just ask my son!).

Grandpa and Grandma...A step Grand-pa wanted to be called G-Dad and that was cool.

I am named after my Dad's Mom and so there was also "Little Susie" and "Big Susie." However, Before she passed away I was gaining very steadily on her height.

It's nice to remember my Grandma Susie... I always felt so loved and appreciated around her. She had an amazing back yard full of fruit trees, grapes, flowers, etc. and it was Las Vegas she was growing plants in. My Dad used to say that He had her put her thumb in the yard at every house we lived out to help things grow.

I called my grandparents, all four of them, grandma and grandpa. My children call their grandmothers ( my mom and step mom) grandma and their grandfathers (my dad and step dad) grandpa.

I called one of my grandmothers by her first name once and got spanked.

My girls also call them Mamooli and Papooli, the greek for grandma and grandpa.

I want my grandson to call me granny. icon_smile.gif:)-->

We always called our grandparents grandma and grandpa. We thought that's what everybody did. My wife called hers mamaw and papaw, but then she was raised in the South.

My sister's daughter was the first grandchild for my parents, and when she was just learning to talk she called my mother "Daney." Trying to say grandma, I guess, and that's how it came out so she's been Daney ever since, even to my kids.

My wife's mother wanted to be called "Mimi." I have no idea why.

Both grandfathers have always been "Papa."

I only knew my Mother's Mother, and she was "Grandma" to us.

We have one daughter, and our daughter and her husband currently have two sons.

On her mother's side, our daughter called her Grandfather "Didda", and her Grandmother "Nanny". Her sons call them "Pop Pop" and "Nana".

On her father's side (that's me), she called her Grandfather "Gramps", and her Grandmother "Gramma". Their sons didn't know "Gramps", but they call "Gramma", "Granny".

Our daughter's first son calls me "Grandpa" and his Grandmother "Lee Lee Grandma" (we're still trying to figure that one out!)

Our daughter's second son calls me "Poppy" and he was born after my wife died, so he doesn't know her.

They don't get to see their father's father much, but call him "Grandpa M****" (family's last name deleted for privacy) out of respect.

The older son calls his father's mother "Grandma number 2" (DON'T go there) and the younger son calls her "Crampma" (give him a break, he's only two).

At this point, I have no idea what they call their Great Grandparents on their father's side, but I'd bet it's something just as "special". icon_smile.gif:)-->

Just a thought...

Steve.

Â¥

Great Grandparents: Paw Tandy and Maw Sally and Paw and Granny

(did I mention I'm from the south?) icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Maternal Grandparents: Mama Nina and Paw Paw Last Name

Paternal Grandparents: Paw Paw and Grandma

Mom wants to be called Grammy if she ever gets to have grandkids.

My next door neighbor's granddaughter calls her "Bay Bar"

They had no clue where it came from and one night her husband said, "Babe, are you ready to go?" Jessica heard that and figured her name was Baybar, so that's what she calls her. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Gramma Fey and Muzzie...what a team they were.

They were my grandma and great-grandma. Muzzie had flaming red hair, but I only knew her when it was white. They lived together all their lives...Muzzie was widowed when my gramma was a baby, never remarried. My gramma was widowed with 5 kids when she was 40, never remarried.

Shellbert! We were always taught to address folks with the title that accorded them...Mr., Mrs., Dr., etc....yet, my paternal grandparents were "Gus and Stella" to most. Gramma Stell and Gus, never Grandpa. Why? Cuz that's the way uh-huh he liked it uh-huh uh-huh...lol.

...and speaking of Greeks...doesn't "Gus and Stella" evoke mental images of babushkas and Greek immigrants? Hardly the case there since they were both as Irish as Cormac. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Both of my grandfathers died when I was young, but my grandmothers were around for a long time. They were both "Grandma." If my siblings and I were talking, adn there was a need to distinguish between the two, they were "Granny B" (Beaton) and "Granny G" (St. George).

My (step)-grandson has three sets of grandparents. My wife and I are "Nanny" and "Poppa." I think my step-daughter's dad and stepmom are "Grandpa" and "Grandma." I'm not sure what my son-in-law's parents go by. (Since Jacob is only 18 months old, it's academic at this point. Everybody is "Pow.") icon_smile.gif:)-->

George

Both sets of my grandparents were Nana and Buppa. I think that goes back a ways on my mothers side. My parents inherited it when the next generation came along. My mother has since died, but after 30 years just about everyone everywhere (even us kids, friends, business associates etc) now call my father Buppa.

I'm a long way off since I don't even have kids yet

I only had my paternal grandmother and my maternal grandfather. They were Grampa Smith and Granny Furgason.

My son only has his paternal and maternal grandmothers - they are "Yia Yia" and "Nina". Yia Yia is Greek for grandma. Nina is his own little creation - she is Nana to all the other grandkids but mine (but then he calls his father "Dah-doo".)

I only had one living grandparent when I was a kid. He was my Mom's dad. His wife had died before I was born, and my dads' parents died in the thirtys. And so, we called my grandfather "Grand Daddy!"

Since I always called my dad "Pop", my kids got real witty and figured that if he was "Pop" to me, then he must be "Pop Pop" to them. Double it you know. And so, "Pop Pop" it was. They call my Mom "Gramma", although for some reason my 83 year old Mom thinks they call her "Gram", and always signs her name that way.