GreaseSpot Cafe

E-mail Scams

Sudo

Do you guys get these things?? I seem to get 'em all the time. I got one today and instead of just deleting it outright as I normally do... thought I'd post it for all to see.

I'm thinking folks might want to post some of these things THEY are getting. You wouldn't think ANYONE would fall for these things but I'm told they do. A fool and their money. Lately, I've noticed their using the religion angle....

Dearest Beloved One,

I am Rev. Benedict John, 78 years old,from the Republic of Ireland. Formally the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Dioceses.

Ever since,I have been helping the orphans in the orphanage, motherless homes and less previledged across few African countries.I have donated some money to orphanage in Sudan, South Africa,Cameroon,Mozambique and liberia with the money I inherited from my late father who was into diamond and crude oil business.

But,it is sad to let you know that I been going through series of illness from auditory(hearing),multiple sclerosis and from cancer of the liver.Before I got ill and relocated to my country Republic of Ireland,I have some money amounting to Seven million two hundred thousand united

states dollar (US$7,200,000,00) only with Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc.The funds is safe.I have been using the bank for over twenty years now.

I will be going to the hospital anytime for major operations.Except it pleases God,the chances of my survival is slim.God has specifically told me to help the less previledged people with my money.Please I solicit for your help to receive the money,invest it profitably and use it wisely for the less previledged people in your country.If you can receive this money and carry out this soul surviving transaction,kindly email immediately

your following contact details:

a.Your complete names

b.Your address

c.Company name if any

d.Private telephone number

e.Private fax number

f.Private email address

g.Your brief profile

h.Your Photograph

When I receive your above information,I will furnish you more details on how the funds would be claimed by you from the bank.Thereafter,I will give you instructions on how the funds will be invested and distributed among the orphanages and less previledged in return.The Lord has already told me that I would find a trustworthy person who can carry out this soul

surviving transaction.

My private email is (rev.benedictjohn@christianmail.org)

While I await your response,may God bless you and your family.

Thank you.

Rev. Benedict John.

L'email piщ cool del web?

tu @3000.it ! Fatti subito la tua mail, и gratis! http://mail.3000.it

I got this one today. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings,

You may be surprised to receive my letter. However, I got your contact as a result of my desperate desire for assistance. Though this mail is unsolicited, I pray you to be humane and consider it. I have decided to contact you for confidential, urgent and rewarding joint business.

My name is BENSON DUDU, I was a Personal Assistant to the Late Democratic Republic Of Congo President; LAURENT KABILA, who was assassinated. I am sure you must be aware that his son, Joseph Kabila was sworn in as president. This news which was reported by most international media including CNN as you can see herein:

http:/ /www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/africa/01/26/congo.kabila/

http:/ /www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/africa/01/16/congo.coup.04/

I am passionately contacting you based on the need for a trusted and honest person, who I can entrust with the sum of US $12,800,000 (Twelve million, eight hundred thousand US Dollars).

Source of the money:

The late president and I secured this money in a security firm, in my name before his death. Now that he is late, I want to transfer the money out of the security company because of the insecurity of the money, for investment in your country. I cannot travel out of the country where I am presently on asylum as I have not got travel documents to do that for now, hence I am asking for your assistance to have this money in your care pending when I will secure travel documents to come over to your country.

If you accept this offer, we shall share the money as follows: 25% for you, and 75% for me.

I have all the title documents to the fund, which I can transfer to you to enable you have assess to the money. Be assured that this is risk-free and

legitimate. Please advise me on your position immediately and take note that I want this kept very confidential as I do not want anyone to know about my where about and the trace of the funds.

I await your prompt response, as I may be able to access my mails

regularly. I have an experienced lawyer who will undertake the legal procedure for the transfer of the money to you.

Regards.

Benson Dudu.

My alternaive email {b_d_benson@yahoo.com.au}

http://www.epost.de - das Kommunikationsportal der Deutschen Post

First,

they have to FIND my e-mail address. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I average about one piece of spam every 2 months, not counting stuff

from legitimate mailing lists I'm on. Actually, that's one piece

every 2 months at most.

I never post my e-mail address publicly. The only one I ever posted

anywhere it can be found is reserved JUST for public stuff.

Plus, I check Snopes every few days for the latest scams. Usually my

news beats the e-mails in reaching me. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It seems to me Sudo, that what you have there is an evolved version of the "Nigerian Bank Scam". I used to get them so often about three years ago it was drivin me nuts! In fact, I read the first one innocently (from "Mrs. Sani Abacha" widowed wife of one time Nigerian VIP), and thought briefly on it, but quickly checked out Snopes.com, and got really p.o.'d about it and wrote them (the scammers), a scathing letter in return.

And after that, I began a file on all of the scam letters that came my way just for fun. I actually have a huge file of these lying letters that is entitled "Lying Africans". And what I used to do (but haven't for a long time now), was each time I would get one, I would add that letter to the top of the Lying African list, and then send the whole batch of letters in "pasted on" form back to the scammer and let them know that; "Now you too are at the very TOP of the Lying African file which is being sent directly to the United States Federal Bureau Of Investigation Mail Fraud Division!"

I thought it was really funny after awhile, because many times, the same "deposed Democratic and very Christian" leaders would come up, but it would be signed by a bereaved mother the next time around, or, a son and daughter, or some crapola. I still have that list Of "Lying Africans" letters somewhere. Want a copy? Haha!

On a sad note however, apparently, there have been a few Americans who have followed through on the scam, and had actually gone over to Nigeria where they met with the scammers, and then were murdered for the goods and money that they had in their posession. I guess the real goal of the scammers is for you and I to divulge our bank account numbers so they can somehow get into it and steal our money.

One time I wrote this one guy back who had claimed that he was a Christian Missionary, and I simply read him the riot act about being a LIAR with Bible verses included, and he actually wrote me back and told me that he had in fact lied, but that he was so sorry for lying and using the name of Jesus on order to try and steal. He said that his country was in the middle of a civil war (Sierra Leone), and that his was an act of desperation, "And so, Sir, could you please send me some money anyway?" I wrote back to him and forgave him, but only told him that he could pray and that God would meet his needs according to a list of Bible verses that I shared with him. If I could have trusted that he was really being honest, I might have actually sent him a money order of some amount. But, I, we, can't really afford to get involved with someone who may well be "still scammin".

Oh, and it seemed as if almost all of the letters started in the subject line when it would come into my e-mail box with "Urgent" or "Urgent Assitance Need" or some such crapola..

I have several e-mail addresses. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

One I use for anything that could possibly generate spam and I get about 500 pieces a day at that account. (Thank you Yahoo for your spam filter!)

One I use only for family and friends. I have never gotten spam at that address. I hope that continues as I have a few friends who forward a joke along with all the e-mail addresses of everyone who has ever received that joke.

One I use for GSpot and other forums. I hardly ever get spam at that one either.

I don't even open e-mails in the spam folder and I hardly open e-mails from people I don't know.

Snopes is great, though. I love reading about the latest and greatest b.s. going around. It's just so sad that so many people actually believe them. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Johnny,

Re:"He said that his country was in the middle of a civil war.. that his was an act of desperation, "And so, Sir, could you please send me some money anyway?"

I imagine that works for him in so many cases, too, though it AMAZES me.. I mean simply AMAZES me that anyone would fall victim to the scam. I know it must seem heartless but I have little to NO sympathy for anyone who falls for these schemes.

I've seen news magazines like 60 minutes do THEIR BEST to make (especially the elderly) the victims sympathetic but Gawd I just can't imagine it. Folks falling for these shcemes are usually counting on getting big bucks for doing next to nothing.

sudo

New one today!! Why so many from Nigeria I wonder...

SIR,

IT IS WITH A HEART FULL OF HOPE THAT I WRITE,

SOLICITING FOR YOUR STRICT CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY

VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING CONFIDENTIAL AND TOP SECRET. YOU HAVE BEEN

INTRODUCED BY A FRIEND IN FOREIGN OFFICE OF NIGERIAN CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND

INDUSTRIES, WHO ASSURED ME OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITIY TO EXECUTE A

TRANSACTION OF GREAT MAGNITUDE.

I AM AN ACCOUNTANT WITH BEACON NIG. LTD. A FOREIGN OIL

COMPANY BASED IN LAGOS, NIGERIA. BEACON WAS INVOLVED IN PROSPECTING,

DRILLING AND BUNKERING OF OIL AT HIGH SEA (OFFSHORE), WITH

EXPATRIATE CONSISTING MAJORITY OF THE STAFF STRENGTH.UNFORTUNATELY, THESE

EXPATRIATES GOT INTO AN ILLEGAL SALE OF OIL AND THE MONEY FROM IT TRANSFERRED

THROUGH A SECURITY COMPANY OUT OF THECOUNTRY BUT WITH A SECURITY STAMP ON IT. T! HE

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA DISCOVERED THE ILLEGAL DEAL, REVOKED THEIR LICENCE

AND THE EXPARTRIATES WERE REPATRIATED.

SO, BY VIRTUE OF MY POSITION AS THE ACCOUNTANT OF THE COMPANY, I HAVE IN MY

POSSESSION DOCUMENTS CONTAINING INFORMATION ABOUT FOUR OF THESE TRUNK BOXES

DEPOSITED WITH THE SECURITY COMPANY. THE CONTENT OF THESE BOXES IS TWENVE

MILLION AND FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS (US$12.5M).

I HAVE PUT IN AN APPLICATION WITH THE SECURITY COMPANY TO TRANSFER THESE BOXES TO

THEIR CORRESPONDENCE OFFICE IN AMERICA OR ASIA WHICH THEY HAVE OBLIGED. AND BEING

THAT THIS DEAL WAS BEEN CARRIED OUT BY FOREIGN FIRM, I NEED A TRUSTWORTHY

FOREIGNER LIKE YOU THAT WILL ASSIST ME TO A LOGICAL CONCLUSION OF THIS PENDING

BUSINESS WHICH BOTH OF US WILL BOUNDTO BENEFIT EARNESTLY. ALL I NEED FROM YOU IS

TO STAND BEFORE THE SECURITY COMPANY AND SIGN AS ONE OF EXPATRIATES TO ENABLE

YOU CLAIM ! THE MONEY AND PAY IT INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.

PLEASE, NOTE THAT THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% RISK-FREE,

FOR EVERY MACHINERIES HAS BEEN PUT IN PLACE FOR SUCCESSFUL

CONCLUSION. REMEMBER, THAT I HAVE WITH ME ALL THE NECESSARY

DOCUMENTS THAT WILL PROVE THAT THE MONEY IS FOR US. I EXPECT YOU TO BE

TRUSTWORTHY AND KIND ENOUGH TO KEEP MY OWN SHARE, WHEN THE MONEY HIT YOUR

ACCOUNT.

I HEREBY AGREE TO COMPENSATE YOUR SINCERE AND CANDID

EFFORT IN THIS REGARD WITH 25% OF THE FUND AFTER THE TRANSFER AND 5%

(PERCENT) WILL BE SET ASIDE FOR ANY EXPENSES BOTH LOCAL AND

INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION, TELEPHONE BILLS ETC. WILL BE SETTLED FROM THIS

PERCENTAGE, WHILE 70% WILL BE FOR ME AND TWO OF MY COLLEAGUES. THIS DEAL WILL BE

CONCLUDED WITHIN SEVEN (7) WORKING DAYS.

I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU,

AND SOLICIT YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY IN THIS TRANSACTION. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THE

RECEIPT OF THIS PROPOSAL.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

DAGOGO BEN.

NB: Please include y! our Tel & Fax NO. in your reply

e-mail. ( dagogobb@netscape.net )

Verschicken Sie romantische, coole und witzige Bilder per SMS!

Jetzt bei WEB.DE FreeMail: http://f.web.de/?mc=021193

As someone once said...

"A fool and there money are lucky to come together in the first place".

What motivates the people who are suckered into these scams is: They believe that they should get something for nothing.

My mother taught me that, If something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Edited by Zshot

I get these occasionally too. They are worthless SCAMS!!! Just delete them!

For a while, a friend of mine and I were answering these e-mails and getting these guys to call us long distance from overseas or wherever. We would string them along until they caught on that we were intentionally wasting their time and doing it to cost them as much as we could before telling them what bottom feeding scum suckers (etcetera) they are.

Not recommended though. We quit doing this when one of "them" threatened us and e-mailed us proof that they weren't kidding around as we were.

Technobyte

I've gotten this one several times. I think this guy needs to work on his story a little. He says his father was poisoned to death by his business associates and then he wants me to come to Benin to "stand as my late fathers business partner." Yeah, I'll get right on that.

PERSONAL LETTER

COTONOU-BENIN

WESTAFRICA.

PERMIT ME TO INFORM YOU OF OUR DESIRE OF GOING INTO BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU. I GOT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS THRUOGH THE INTERNET AND DECIEDED TO CONTACT YOU WITHOUT NO HESISTATE TO CONFIDE IN YOU FOR THIS SIMPLE AND SINCERE BUSINESS HENCE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND AS WELL.

I AM BOBSON, THE ONLY CHILD OF LATE MR AND MRS. PIERRE KWAME.MY FATHER WAS A VERY WEALTHY COCOA MERCHANT AND A POLITICIAN BASED IN ABIDJAN THE ECONOMIC CAPITAL OF IVORY COAST. BEFORE HE WAS POISONED TO DEATH BY HIS BUSINESS ASSOCIATES ON ONE OF THEIR OUTING TO DISCURSSED ON A BUSINESS/POLITIES OF THEIR PARTY.

HOWEVER,MY MOTHER DIED ON THE 21ST OCTOBER 2001.MY FATHER TOOK ME SO SPECIAL BECAUSE I AM MOTHERLESS. BEFORE THE DEATH OF MY FATHER ON 29TH JUNE 2003 IN A PRIVATE HOSPITAL HERE IN ABIDJAN. HE SECRETLY CALLED ME ON HIS BEDSIDE AND TOLD ME THAT HE HAS A SUM OF US$ 25.2,000,000.00 (TWENTY FIVE MILLION TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND U.S.A DOLLARS) LEFT IN ONE SECURITY COMPANY IN (COTONOU FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BENIN) REGISTERED AS OUR FAMILY TREASURE OF JEWLIRIENS AND DOCUMENTS FOR SECRECT.

THE SECURITY COMPANY DO NOT KNOW THE CONTENTS OF THE TRUNK BOX AS PHISICAL CASH IN DOLLAR.

PRESENTLY THIS IS WHERE I HAVE BEEN RESIDENTS FOR PERIOD OF TIME NOW FOR ME TO GET CONTACT WITH A TRUSTWARTHY PERSON WHOM WILL HANDLE THE TRANSACTION WITH ME ALSO BECUASE OF THE REBELLE WAR GOING ON IN IVORY COAST TILL TODAY.

ALSO MY LATE FATHER, EXPLAINED TO ME THAT IT WAS BECAUSE OF THIS WEALTH HE WAS POISONED BY HIS BUSINESS ASSOCIATES AND DUE TO POLITIES AS WELL.

THEREFORE I SHOULD SEEK FOR A FOREIGN PARTNER FROM ANY COUNTRY OF MY CHOICE WHOM SHALL HELP ME CLEAR THE CONSIGNMENT FROM THE SECRURITY COMPANY FOR AN INVESTMENT PURPOSE, (SUCH AS REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT/BUY OF SHARES/STOCKS AND TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION)

RIGHT NOW I AM HONOURABLY SEEKING YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS.

1)TO COME DOWN HERE IN COTONU BENIN AND STAND AS MY LATE FATHERS BUSINESS PARTNER AND CLEAR THE CONSIGNMENT FROM THE SECURITY COMPANY.

2)TO SERVE AS THE GUARDIAN OF THIS CONSIGNMENT.AND TO MAKE ARRANGEMENT FOR ME TO TARVELL WITH YOU TO YOUR COUNTRY AFTER THE CONSIGNMENT HAS BEING CLEARED AND DEPOSIT WITH ANY LOCAL BANK HERE FOR THE TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS INTO YOUR ACCOUNT IN YOUR COUNTRY AS BEEN CONCLUDED.

YOU SHALL BE GIVEN 25% OF TOTAL SUM AS COMPENSATION FOR YOUR EFFORT/INPUT AFTER THE SUCCESSFUL TRANSACTION.

MOREOVER, YOU CAN INDICATE YOUR OPTION TOWARDS ASSISTING ME AS I BELIEVE THAT THIS TRANSACTION WOULD BE CONCLUDED WITHIN THREE (3) DAYS YOU SIGNIFY

INTEREST TO ASSIST ME AND YOUR ARRIVAL HERE IN COTONOU BENIN AS THE MANGEMENT OF SECURITY COMPANY ASSURED ME.

HOPING TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON THROUGH THIS EMAIL ADDRESSE PLEASE.

THANKS AND GOD BLESS AND YOUR FAMILY.

YOURS FAITHFULLY.

BOBSON.

ORPHAN.

And today... the Almighty gets invoked to get my money.

PLEASE CONTACT ME URGENTLY ALSO YOUR MOBILE PHONE AND FAX

33 MARINA,LAGOS.NIGERIA.

Telephone:234-802-3714808.

Good Day,

l am Mr.Chris Kolade, Civil Servant in the Ministry of Health. l know

this proposal will come to you as asurprise because we have not met

before either physically or through correspondence. I got your contact

from our chamber of commerce here in Nigeria and have no doubt in your

ability to handle this proposal involving huge sum of money.My father

Chief Isama Kolade (Now Late) was the Royal Head of my community, ELEME

(an oil rich town) in Nigeria. My community produces 5.8% of the total

crude oil production in Nigeria and 0.5% of the Dollar value of each!

barrel is paid to my father as royalty by the Federal Government.

My father was also the Chairman of ISAMA Special Oil Trust Fund. In

his position as the Royal head and Chairman of the Oil Trust Fund, he

made some money which he left for me as the only heir to inherit.The

money is Eighteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars(US$18.5).

This Money originated from the accumulated royalties between 1976-1998

Due to poor banking system in Nigeria and political instability as a

result of past Military rules (1985-1999) ,he deposited this Money in a

Strong Room/"VAULTS" with an open beneficiary in a security company

pending when he would finish arrangement to transfer it abroad.He was

planning this when he died late last year of Heart Attack.

Just before my father died he called my attention to the money and

charged me to look for a foreigner who would assist me in the

transfer/investment of the funds abroad. So l would be very gratef ul

if

you could accept to help me achieve this great objective.I promise to

give you 15% of the total funds transferred to your vital bank account

as compensation for your assistance. Five percent (5%)has been set

aside to take care of all expenses we may incure during the

transaction.

To indicate your interest,contact me urgently and confidentially for

more information and the roles you will play in this business. All the

legal Documents concerning this Money will be sent to you as soon as we

agreed ether.Please I will appreciate that you send your telephone/fax

numbers to enable me contact you immediately for discussions.

May the almighty God bless you.

Yours faithfully,

Mr.Chris Kolade.

A lot of this type of E-mail fraud is from South Africa or the former Soviet Union. Another common trick is to entice people to give up their social security number or bank account number. No bank or investment firm will ever send out an e-mail asking people to verify their account or any other excuse to get them to give their personal information. The latter activity is called "phishing".

Find where to report E-mail fraud at http://www.elsop.com/wrc/complain.htm

Report phishing at reportphishing@antiphishing.org

All of these type of scams are just the internet equivalent of the old, time-tested, "pigeon-drop" con.

That scan was demonstrated in the opening scenes of "The Sting", if you remember. Total strangers come across a whole bunch of dough and don't know what to do with it. "Well, if you'll just put some of your money in with it, I'm sure we'll all come out of this smelling like a rose", the stranger assures you.

And so it goes. Like has already been stated, if it sounds like it's too good to be true, it almost certainly is...

• 1 month later...

New one just today.. I guess they get some hits.

Dear Friend,

Complement of the seasons.

This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the

fact that we have not yet met. The message could be strange but real if

you pay some attention to it,I could have notified you

about it at least for the sake of your

integrity.Please accept my sincere apologies. In

bringing this message of goodwill to you, I have to

say that I have no intentions of causing you any

embarrassments.

In order to transfer out (fifteen million pounds

sterling) from our

bank here I have the courage to look for a reliable

and honest person who will be capable for this

important transaction, believing that you will never

let me down either now or in future.

I am the auditor of a bank here in London,United

Kingdom. There is an account opened in this bank in

1995 and since my inception into office in 2001,

nobody has operated on this account again,after going

through some old files, I discovered that if i do not

remit this money

out urgently, it will be forfeited for nothing.

The owner of this account was Mr. John Hughes who was

a foreigner and

the Director of a chemical service here in London, a

chemical engineer

by profession and he died since 1995.And then, since

2001, nobody knows

about this account or anything concerning it, the

account has no other beneficiary and my investigation

proved to me as well that his company does not know

anything about this account and the amount involved is

(15,000,000.00) pounds sterling.

I want to transfer this money into a safe foreign

account abroad but i

don't know any foreigner, i am only contacting you as

a foreigner because this money can not be approved to

any local bank here in United Kingdom, but can only be

approved to any foreign account because the money is

pounds sterling's and theformer owner of the account

is John Hughes and he was a foreigner too.

Thank you as I anticipate your response.

Alex Goodman

Book yourself something to look forward to in 2005.

Cheap flights - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/flights/

Bargain holidays - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/holidays/