GreaseSpot Cafe

Women's Health Care

Shellon

When going for the gynecological tests that are needed for our continued health, are you aware that many centers and doctors don't provide all of the proper tests because of the costs involved?

Or many other excuses they tell us that we believe.

I have recently learned this the hard way.

1. When going for a mammogram, insist on images that include the lymph nodes, not JUST the breasts themselves. If the technician isn't turning the machine in an angled position as well as straight on, take notice and insist on the other as well.

2. When getting the pap/pelvic testing done, don't settle quietly for the standard tests. Ask, insist on a test of your uterus as well. The smear they take from the cervix is enough to show cervical or vaginal cancer, MAYBE, or at least vaginal abnormalities, but it doesn't tell them about your uterus. We tend to think that the tests they get with their swab and manual testing is enough for our total care, but it's not.

3. Insist on blood testing that includes tests for everything!! Not just iron, cholesterol count or any other of the simpler things. You have to ask for a Complete Blood Count that includes testosterone levels, thyroid information.

Too often we walk out of a physical exam feeling like they've taken great care of us, we did our part by showing up and we never hear from them, so it's all well and good.

Maybe not, ladies, maybe not.

Check your insurance policies, ask your health care professional. Most won't perform 'beyond the standard' because of the financial issues.

Other excuses you might hear.

You're too young for breast cancer/uterine cancer/bad paps/colon problems/blah blah blah.

They've been seeing you for 25 years and know you.

It's just your stress level, you need to find ways to relax and you'll feel better.

Bullshi+. If you know something is not right, then it's not. Find someone that believes you.

The age guidelines are just that, guidelines.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/booksh...Books/32/54.cfm

also note:

ask them to please freeze the plates that smash your boobs to hell and back just to keep you awake during that lovely mammogram. icon_eek.gif

also: when the doc crawls in to do the pap, make sure he has on his headgear with a flashlight and he goes in up to his elbows JUST to make sure he gets the full view, while he is scraping and grinding on the inside (just like the miners used to do, go for the gold!) icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

oh my, such fun it is being a woman!! icon_confused.gif:confused:--> anim-smile-blue.gif

someday soon I too will go for the full meal deal, such joy!! (every year is recommended BUT not always available for us poor folk)

suz

Shellon is right.

As someone who works in a rural hospital, I can tell you that there are many programs that are funded by the Feds that will pay for your tests. It actually SAVES a hospital money to do these screening tests for uninsured or underinsured patients than it is for them not to do them. Otherwise, they have acute patients with little/no insurance draining the resources of a rural hospital, resulting in a pile of bad debt.

There are pleanty of programs for men, too. Don't forget about colon screenings.

If you call your local hospital, ask for a care manager or social worker department. They will either have the programs in place or know who does. Often times hospitals will be aware of who offers what for programs, if they don't happen to offer it. Of course a non-profit hospital will be the most likely to have these programs...

p.s.

Some of the programs aren't just for people over 40 or whatever - some have a clause for people who have a family history of a certain disease - don't let age stop you from getting the tests you need.

Dear suz,

But I'm thankful I don't have to turn my head and cough!

Dear Shellon,

Thanks for this quote, "Bullshi+. If you know something is not right, then it's not. Find someone that believes you."

That attitude made me demand the blood test for Lyme disease, after having been told I had an unknown infection by one doc, and a possible fractured hand by another! I was also told by more than one doc that "it couldn't possibly be Lyme."

Guess again.

Regards,

Shaz

I'll just chime in here....seeing as how we pay the doctors to perform a service for us, that makes them (in effect) our employee (so to speak).

It is with that attitude that I approach the healthcare of my family.

If I want a test performed or a diagnosis ruled-out I make sure it is clear what I want and why I want it. I have only had one or two doctors tell me no, in which cases I got my family's medical records and went to another doctor who WOULD listen to me.

We know our bodies and our children's and family's needs...the smart doctors listen and do what we ask...the other doctors...we don't want em taking care of us, anyway..do we???

I'm not rude, I'm not difficult, I simply want my family healthy, whatever it takes...AND... I want what I pay for and nothing less.

Often, as women, we are too quiet, don't want to make a fuss.

We believe that the person with the stethescope and white lab coat knows it all, cuz they went to school and we're dumb and we don't know our bodies.

This is our health we are talking about.

When our children are sick and noone knows why, we take down whole buildings to find out. We demand answers, we insist on every test known to humanity.

Why not our own health? There are many ways to get the health care we need if we just start asking.

I have been watching a friend of mine, a woman, spend thousands on her sick dog but she's so ill that I don't know how she gets through a day.

She says she doesn't have the money to go to the doctor.

Bullshi+ again.

Oh and the " I don't have time" excuse. It will take a whole lot more time in the hospital when we are really sick and alot more time off work.

I've given up 9 1/2 hours of my time recently.

Thanks for bringing this up, Shell.

I lost a sister two years ago because she KNEW she was pre-cancerous and was AFRAID to go back when she KNEW her condition was worsening. She lost the battle to colon cancer (which our mother also died of 20 years earlier)which is DETECTABLE, DIAGNOSABLE, and TREATABLE if people will just go in and get checked and follow up!!!!

Now my only other sister (who's overweight and in poor health) will NOT get her but in to have a colonoscopy (She's 51)and her daughters and I are about to WRING HER NECK!

And yes, BTW, I had mine done when my sis was diagnosed and have a clean bill of health. Am supposed to get mine checked every three years (due to the family history), so I'm due this year.

On the women's OB/GYN stuff, I ALWAYS see a female doctor who specializes in wellness and prevention. The nurse/midwives and nurse/practitioners I've seen are WONDERFUL and much more thorough than ANY male doctor I've seen. But, that's just my experience and preference.

Good topic, Shell. thanks.

J.

Indeed, I saw five male doctors before going to the Midwife I see now.

Duh me, I have believed in midwifery since the birth of my second baby at home. Why I didn't think of it before......but she is the one that finally believes me and is getting things done.

We often think colon problems are men things, but it's not. Women need colonoscopy test as well.

As well men get breast cancer.

jardinero:

Being a servicemember I get my medical care as provided by local military bases. 'Family Practice' is available via a waiting list, where you can wait for an opening, once it is your turn then you can specify which doctor you want to be seen by for the remainder of your tour. From that point on, anytime you need an appointment you and your family will each be seen that one doctor or PA. Being a lowly E-6 I have never been placed high enough on such a waiting list to get my family to the top within the duration of any of my tours. Officers routinely are put directly on the top of those lists as soon as they report to an area, so their can immediately choose which doctor/PA will see them and their familys.

Anytime I get an appointment to see a doc it will be 'catch-as-catch-can', whatever doc has an opening within the next 2 weeks. The same for my family. If you have a condition that must be monitored monthly for the next six months, you will likely see a different doc each time. If there are no openings, they tell me to call back in a week.

Sometimes I [or my family] are seen by a military Doctor, or by a Navy Medic, or by a civilian PA, or by a civilian Doctor. That 'doc' may be a male or a female. Generally I do prefer the female 'doc's. The civilian ones are the best, the civilian doctors have attended 'internship' and 'residency' training; whereas military doctors often went directly into the military after graduating med-school. Of course medics have attended a military school, but they do most of their training OJT.

If it is just a bad cut or puncture I tend to take care of it myself. The last time Matthew cut-up his face badly, the PA on-duty in the ER could not suture his way out of a paper-sack, so I had to do the suturing myself. I do my own stitching as well, so long as I can reach and see the boo-boo. The last couple times that I needed stitches in the back of my head, they assigned these young medics to do the stiching, I would have prefered to have done it myself each time.

I cant really put my finger on exactly why, but I do prefer to be seen by female doctors, the ones with a real M.D. hanging on a wall somewhere.

Tell you something else too.

I go in for lab-work to monitor my liver-function due to cholesterol meds. Male docs will dig and dig for my veins, routinely turning my arm blue from hemoraging. Female docs almost 100% will find a vein first time everytime.

My veins are not hidden, I can get them to stand out, jsut some people can't get a needle into one without drawing hair around it.

Yes, I am sexist, but female docs are better.

Edited by ET1 SS

And.......if you are a woman that likes a midwife, s/he can do what a doctor can do, like a nurse practitioner if they are in a MD's office.

My midwife handles all of my health care and prescribes my medicines, as well. Her practice is in a MD's office.

My daughter's pediatrician is a nurse practioner, same thing; she does all meds. and diagnoses and is in a MD's office.

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies!!

Don't forget to INSIST to get a

CA 125 blood test

EVERY YEAR ...That means EVERY YEAR.

IF your DR. says you don't need it, FIRE him or her IMMEDAITELY. YOUR"E health is of no concern to them.

It is the blood test that DETECTS if there is the beginnings of OVARIAN cancer!!

VERY VERY important!!!!

I get one ever year now because in 1999 my CA 125 blood test was elevated, had to get one ovary removed.

I am post menopausal now , o/ o/ o/

but I still get one every single year.

The VA no longer argues with me about it.

IT gets done every year.

I am alive now! because I INSIST!!

I just asked Bonnie, she does not know if they do a 'CA 125' on her.

Each year they do a 'liver-function' test on me and I always ask the a PSA as well. They never think to order the PSA on men, unless the man asks for it either. Getting a PSA each year, wards off having to get the colonoscopy and/or the digital prostate exam. So I keep asking for the PSA each time they suck blood, their 4 vials of blood.

Bonnie goes in next month, for another round of tests, I will remind her then about 'CA 125'.

Ladies please remind the men around you to get their PSA tests done too.

:-)