GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI has sued me, and I hope TWI's attorneys like to ski

pjroberge

adios:

Thanks for the statute. Here is that part of my response to TWI previously

quote:
Your last claim of cybersquatting under the Latham Act is again without merit. Sec. 1125 clearly states: (4) the following shall not be actionable under this section: (A) Fair use of a famous mark by another person in comparative commercial advertising or promotion to identify the competing goods or services of the owner of the famous mark. © All forms of news reporting and news commentary

long gone:

Your last 2 posts were not accurate or worth responding too. You make wild accusations and say it is to give me a dose of reality.

I appreciate a reasonable discussion but yours are not. BYE

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think about all the churches that call themselves, the church of jesus christ..........then look at the mormons, do you think they go after everyone?

i would love to see the way try to have a copyright symbol after "the" and "way" in the merriam webster dictionary.

they seriously need to get off their high horse and realize that they are a cult and inflict nothing but despair on people.

Looks to me like that prohibition is only against the quotation or publication of the mark by a legitimate news site. In other words, if a news commentator wanted to comment negatively on Coca-Cola, he could not be held liable for using the term "Coca-Cola" in his article, even though it might negatively impact Coke sales.

Registering the domain name in bad faith is clearly prohibited. You might be able to claim using the mark on your site in commentary or reporting, but the site name itself has no innocuous news use.

I think you're going to lose and lose big on this, Pat. That's your right, of course, but it's going to make all ex-TWI sites and organizations look bad in the process.

PJRoberge is correct, I believe, in his position he has the winning edge on this case. TWI did not go after the domain name, they criticized heavily any use of the internet and even forbid us to use it, lest we be marked and avoided. He used the .com as a tool to speak about the Way, so the reality here is that a dot.com called wayinternational.com or thewayinternational.com can be ABOUT the Way International, and not at all belong to them. I don't think TWI has a very solid case. I do believe it is harassment, and I wonder if there will be enough evidence of that to countersue TWI. I have used PJRoberge's sites for years and it helped me emotionally and mentally. I give the deciding and logical edge to PJRoberge.

quote:
B) (i) In determining whether a person has a bad faith intent described under subparagraph (A), a court may consider factors such as, but not limited to--

(I) the trademark or other intellectual property rights of the person, if any, in the domain name;

Pat isn't the registered trademark of the way in the domain name?

It took me five minutes to research this topic briefly and I will tell you this. It is common practice for the lawyers to send you a registered letter asking you to stop using and close down the domain name. If the person refuses (like you did) then a law suit is filed in federal court of the state the domain was purchased. It does not matter that they did not think to buy it at the time and that you did and you certainly cannot sell it to anyone else including TWI.

Pat, I think they can really win this and the loss to you can be great. Please rethink this. I am not saying this to you out of any malice, but out of concern for you. Just give it to them.

quote:
Your last claim of cybersquatting under the Latham Act is again without merit. Sec. 1125 clearly states: (4) the following shall not be actionable under this section: (A) Fair use of a famous mark by another person in comparative commercial advertising or promotion to identify the competing goods or services of the owner of the famous mark. © All forms of news reporting and news commentary.

Pat,

Zixar's interpretation of © is correct. Yours is not. The reason TWI cannot go after Pawtucket for having an "About The Way" forum is precisely because of ©. But there is a substantial difference between that and registering "thewayinternational.com" as a url. If you called it "thetruthabouttheway.com," you would be on stronger footing. Any reasonable person who goes to "www.thewayinternational.com" has a reasonable expectation to access a web site owned and operated by The Way International. You are deliberately capitalizing on that expectation in order to provide information that would lead people AWAY from TWI.

Under your interpretation of ©, I would be able to start a website called "thewaymagazine.com" and specifically use that site to provide information against the interest of The Way International. They would sue me if I did so. And I don't know if they would win or not, but they should win, because I am deliberately capitalizing on their trademark in order to defame them.

For those who argue that the Mormons don't sue anyone who uses "Church of Jesus Christ," why don't you try this: register: "churchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.com" and see if you don't get sued.

Diazbro,

Yes, the amateur lawyering is the same thing for which Pat is being criticized. The difference is that we're not being dragged into court, he is. I could spout off legal theories and strategies until the cows come home and it makes no difference. This man is going to court, but before doing so, insists on arming his enemy with as much ammunition as possible.

Now Raf,

Don’t forget to mention to have a history of having anti-Mormon sites and stating your intent was to draw people away from them!

The claim of being a (cough) news group would hold up in this case if there hadn’t been such a history to show intent. To become one after the fact I think will work to their advantage.

Mark Sanguinetti wrote,

"However, Pat would have prevailed on "the Way of Christ".

Maybe Pat would have prevailed.

A case involving use of the words "The Way" in the name "The Way of Christ Ministry," however, would have involved questions about the use of a phrase that is quite more arguably generic than the phrase "The Way International."

Not only does the phrase "The Way International" less mistakably (than the phrase "The Way") have the New Knoxville group as its referent, the domain www.thewayinternational.com has, in limit and extent, the exact wording of the heretical sect's trademark (less spacing and capitalization).

There is only so far that TWI can go on cornering the phrase "The Way". Darn phrase came straight out of the Bible. Why are they not suing churches in Ohio that are not at all associated with them called "Church of the Way" or "The Way of Jesus Christ" or some other phrase?

Hey, Can PJRoberge sell his domain name to an overseas internet freak (outsource it) and let the Way track that down? PJ gets rid of it, says he doesn't have it, and the name gets sold all around for like a buck a person. When the Way catches up with that guy, he sells it, and so on. Would they still hold PJ responsible?

Can we all sue TWI individually, one at a time, for all the mental torture and abuse we suffered under this organization? I know it was "our choice", but the deception in the beginning fooled all of us, didn't it? I mean, there is still a lot of mental torment these people are handing out to ex-Wayers, like those who just want to visit the cemetary there.

Touche Eagle. Normally, when you have a trademark of such a generic and very undistinctive phrase as, "The Way". You have this trademarked with distinctive graphics and you can only use this phrase as a trademark with these distinctive graphics.

Hey Pat, I would, I would, I would icon_smile.gif:)-->

It would not surprise me if TWI went in front of Judge Judy after they pay out for all these lawsuits. At least I don't think wayfers have been told not to watch her yet. She is one that would tear their *** up.

Raf said:

Yes, the amateur lawyering is the same thing for which Pat is being criticized. The difference is that we're not being dragged into court, he is.

>>

Is this accurate ? I mean I don't think he

is being "dragged" into court. In fact

he appears to be welcoming it.

>>

I could spout off legal theories and strategies until the cows come home and it makes no difference.

Well I guess thats part of my point. Since

no one here is a lawyer aren't all the references to various statutes, and laws just

an exercise ? If I were Pat I don't think

I would take someone's interpretation of the

various laws as gospel. On the other hand I

think the point has been made that people here

don't take Pat's interpretation of the laws

as gospel either.

Diazbro: the term "being dragged into court" is a colloquiallism which means you're the one getting sued. Pat didn't initiate the lawsuit, he's the defendant. Therefore he's getting dragged into court. That he decides to walk in rather than get dragged in is inconsequential to my point: We're not going to court. Our legal theories cannot be used by our courtroom adversaries because... we don't have courtroom adversaries.

Pat doesn't need to listen to our amateur legal theories. That is very true. But he also doesn't need to go online and announce his legal theories to the whole world, especially knowing that his courtroom adversaries are observing every word. This isn't a game. This isn't just a thread. This is a lawsuit that in some way threatens this man's livelihood. And for what? A domain name? Give up that issue and what has TWI got on him? NOTHING. Why do you think TWI has not gone after Paw? Because they CAN'T!

Pat can continue his fight without thewayinternational.com.

The point of telling Pat to knock off the amateur lawyering is not about disagreement with his position (some agree and some don't). It's about encouraging him to do the smart thing and not hand ammunition to the enemy.

Greetings from Chicago.