GreaseSpot Cafe

was waycorps training a total scam?

GrouchoMarxJr

I had been told all sorts of "amazing" things before I went in but once I got there I was terribly disapointed.

I entered the 10th corps at Emporia and soon discovered that this "elite" training consisted of taking all the classess that I had already had 8 times each, trying to stay awake for about 3 hours of either "study hall" or someone trying to teach us how to pack a frickin' suitcase or how to shave "properly".

My food rations were cut approximately in half and the sleep deprivation took it's toll. I must admit that with all the running we did, I was in pretty good shape. The brow beatings from martindale and his flunkies wore thin with me after awhile.

The so-called "work program" was a total joke with so many people at Emporia and so little to do. They had me tightening screws on chairs for a month and when I finished the last chair I was told to do em all again. Several times I almost packed my suitcase and disapeared into the night...I should have.

And we paid good money for this?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The sleep deprivation worked because I think we were so tired most of the time, we didn't have the energy to challenge leaderships ways. "

I swear I still am tired from the Emporia days.

Having Bless Patrol then classes 4 hours later and having to stay up until 11:30 because of "After Meetings" and there was always one person at the close of the meeting "who wanted to share". You could almost hear the groan of the bored and the tired.

How about the people who could not carry a tune who "wrote a song?"

"I just wanted to bless everyone with this song I wrote." Then, two cats in a fight had better tone then the screeching to come.

One day, it was that time of month. I already had an extreme iron deficency. I had done "bless Patrol" until 4:00 am and we were suppose to be up around 5:30 (ish) for something.

I told them I was going to reevaluate why I was in the corps. I needed sometime alone. Ju*y B came to talk with me and was very cool.

She told me to go ahead and take the day.

I reevealuated by sleeping.

Sorry, I was yawning thinking about the exhaustion.

Uncle Harry is that what you learned? You are right, what a waste of money!! To think some around these parts are always flexing their "I am/was Way Corps muscles"

I thought ya all should have been some great scholars.

I am not suprised to learn it was all a big scam.

Thank you for being honest.

oops typo

Edited by AdiosMiCorazon

Now, now, let's be fair.....

All right!

All of you who were in the corpse or family copse, sing out!

The program ITSELF-were there blessings to be found of it?

I DON'T mean "when we had a day off, me, Maggie, and Johnny had

some of the sweetest fellowship time together". I DON'T mean

"this one person on staff was a special blessing to me".

THAT's almost accidental.

The programs were DESIGNED, organized, and regimented.

They included lots of stuff those of us who were not there never

saw. Lots of stuff.

Any of that stuff a genuine blessing?

Any skills you learned that you use now?

Please sing out!

(Not like the Chorus Choir-I mean, inform us.)

I learned how to cut a wedding cake. But the biggest lesson was how to lead songs. I spent four years total in the corps program to learn how to lead songs.

Phock you TWI!

And corps night? The most boring thing on the planet next to the after corps night meetings....

Someone would pick a part the scriptures showing us what it really meant. I NEVER saw how they got "there" (to the new definition). Then when I was about to drink drano to escape the boredom, we would break into groups to "share" how blessed we were with the research.

Some of those people would actually talk on and on about the enlightenment they "saw" in the teaching...

Dear God talk about beating a dead horse...

Watching paint dry was more entertaining...

The back of the room was dotted with folks standing to avoid falling asleep. They/we would stand there with water bottles, drinking water trying not to keel over from exhaustion and boredom.

Oh my GAWD! I hated Wednesdays...

OMG....LOLOLOL yes I agree with excie, tom, but, I'm sure you did take that class just forgot about it if you were in the 9th corps.

Snotty, ha ha ha

Now what does the mucous method have anything to do with being a leader? Sick, sick, I tell you!!!

OH and does anyone remember having to go back to the back forty to pick up little itty bitty rocks?????? That was the worst job ever!!!!!!!

Well, wait a minute I do seem to remember having to get a sledge hammer and take out a sidewalk...maybe that was even worse.....

Now what about gun training? I think some of the rifles I shot would not have been for hunting..whats up with that?

Or how about having to watch a woman in a movie trying to have sex with a dog that didn't want anything to do with her? Did that have anything to do with being a leader for twi? I guess for a sick place like twi it would!!!!

And some of you believe that this was truly God's ministry? The whole thing was a sham as most of us that were in the wc saw for ourselves through the wc if your honest about it!!!!

Wah wah wah! Somebody call a "wambulance"!

Amazing how people can come away with different perspectives.

I too went into the Tenth Corps, and I really liked it. I was never anything more than a TC in my last block so it wasn't like I was on a power trip or anything.

"Sleep deprivation"? Hardly. While working as a U.S. Merchant Marine aboard ship, I worked six hours on and six hours of around the clock for two weeks straight. That's 12 hours a day, seven days a week, and eighty four hours a week. And on my six hours off, I got to eat, socialize a little bit, and then most times I would be "called out of my sleep or off time" to either help tie up the ship, or let her go when leaving port, as well as be called out to help with some emergency in the engine room, be it a fuel leak, busted steam valve , or whatever. I averaged five hours of sleep most days and most of my waking hours were involved with intensely keeping an eye on dangerous machinery in order for the ship to continue safely on it's way. Now that was sleep deprivation. We would be walking zombies by the time our two weeks were up. Glad I had a little training in the Corps to be prepared for that...

Food rations in the Corps cut in half? Hardly. I lost weight because I had quit eating like a pig and ate some pretty good food instead. Much healthier than the "death in a bag burritos" from Seven 11 that is used to eat almost daily on the field. I remember big hot steaming bowls of potatos, parsnips, carrots, and sweet potatos that we put butter, sea salt and cayenne on. I remember chicken, and calves liver and onions which to my delight none of tyhe girls ever wanted to eat, so Brice Shirley and I one time got to eat the whole platter, haha! Hey, it wasn't any Shoney's buffet, but it wasn't so bad!

I enjoyed the challenge of getting up early in the morning and trying to beat the challenges dished out to me in the Corps training. And what in the world is wrong with Richard Thomas trying to get us to remember to turn off our lights on Corps night in order to save electricity? I do that with my kids all of the time. What we went through was nothing like the discipline required in the U.S. Marine Corps, which I have not had the honor of being a part of. But I know plenty who have.

I liked the challenges of 10 minute teachings in the morning, making cardboard cars, and study hall and taking notes. I liked the challenge dished out to me by going LEAD and lightbearers. I just got an e-mail from a guy that I witnessed to when on Lightbearers in Springfield, Missouri. He is no longer with The Way (thank God), but continues to thank me for leading him to our Lord Jesus Christ. Just meeting him was worth the going into the Corps.

I enjoyed the intense challenge of being on the tent crew with the Florida Tent Company with Dave Tseusdy and his hard working Haitian employees Wally and Pierre. Now THAT was some serious work, and we Way Corps that were assigned to that crew that year were ridiculed by these two Haitians as being of "number ten" quality as far as workers went. They had an objective viewpoint that we were lazy and talked too much. It was funny, because not being Way people, they had no concern about whether their "reproof was loving" or anything like that, they just laughed and said pointedly; "You guys all numbah ten! Too lazy! Talk too much!" and went merrily on their way. So when we heard that, Sangat Baines, Alfred Covington, and Bill Berryhill and I were humbled and decided that it was not right for us to be so lazy and followed the lead of these two small black Haitian work horses who spoke a funny sounding patois and got our lazy butts in gear. And after many blisters and sore muscles, were finally crowned by Wally and Pierre as "number one" workers, which made us very proud, and, enlightened in the ways of the "work ethic", i.e., "don't talk, work!"

That experience in the Corps changed my life for the better. I use the "push push push" principles in my life all of time. Maybe what we were supporting could be called into question, but the "hardship" of being in the in residence program was hardly a hardship.

Oh, could I have learned this elsewhere? you may ask. Well certainly! But I learned so much of this in the Corps, and it was good for me and, for many of you all as well...

And now...here it comes! Flame the .... outa me!

Well, Johnny, I agree with you. The "corps experience" was what we made of it for ourselves, I think. For me personally, our 1st year in-rez was radically different than our last year. It got better as time went on.

I hated all that MAL crud, and honestly had one foot out the door while that was all coming down. If it hadn't been for my dear friend, Daggoo, (where are you, Daggs?) and her wicked sense of humor, I probably would've taken the whole thing waaaay too seriously. icon_wink.gif;)-->

I remember having some really fun times, and overall, had a blast while in. I loved LEAD, didn't even mind the hitchiking, hung out with some great people, (Sangat included, he was a swell guy, cute too icon_wink.gif;)--> ) and laughed ALOT. The running was even ok, and I enjoyed the physical challenge of it. Honestly, I've never run 10 miles since then. But I can say I did it, while in-rez.

The classes were ok, and I read alot of the bible that I probably never would have otherwise. I always managed to have jobs that were fun, kept me busy, and allowed me some "self-structured" time to catch a nap here and there. icon_cool.gif

Overall, there were some unique opportunities to challenge ourselves if we wanted to. Of course, I was really young, so maybe that gives me a different perapective than those who were older and gave up jobs, career, put off having kids, and other stuff.

I think it was different for each of us, depending on so many varying factors... But I know I was a much more "mature" person when I got out, than when I went in. For what it's worth. icon_cool.gif

Yes, Parsnips. Bob the (farmer in our Corps) got up and gave us a little rap on parsnips that evening as well. Bob whatever his last name is ( he had a wife too), is the one who met a Kansas Farmer who needed help getting in his crop of squash which resulted in a bunch of the Corps going to help him before his squash crop got over ripe on the vine which further resulted in The Way C of E getting a truck load of squash for our dining delight, which, I thought was also pretty cool. That was the first time I started to like squash.

What was that Bob guy's last name? It's on the tip of my tongue...

And no doubt my friend Tom Strange, the parsnips were probably a one shot deal, but they were really good and I remember them distinctly...

And how about "cabbage soup" my dear Ex10? Yuck...