GreaseSpot Cafe

Phone Hookup Shenanigans

Mister P-Mosh

This has probably already been discussed, but do you all remember the phone hookups?

Those things were a joke. You have to wear a suit and tie just like if you went to TWI headquarters, clap when the people on the phone clap, and stand up whenever the person "leading" the phone hookup would imagine that it sounds like someone is walking on stage over the phone. I hated that later on these things became mandatory monthly deals, and the teachings got worse and worse (I stopped getting tapes shortly after LCM was gone, and never was found out.)

Also, it was funny to see the hookup leader trying to lead a song to be in sync with the phone hookup.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

most boring thing ever evented

The most boring invent evented. Uh oh, I think I'm derailing my own thread really early on.

So yes, I do agree with you that they were extremely boring. Not only that, but they'd have us donate a few dollars that supposedly somehow paid for the long distance call. I don't know about you, but somehow $2 a person for about 20 people seems like a REALLY expensive phone call. They either kept the money for other purposes, or rerouted the calls through Zimbabwe and Afghanistan. That would explain the bad quality I guess.

quote:
You have to wear a suit and tie just like if you went to TWI headquarters, clap when the people on the phone clap, and stand up whenever the person "leading" the phone hookup would imagine that it sounds like someone is walking on stage over the phone.

This must have been long after my time, because I never heard of this, but I can't believe that people actually did this.

If somebody had told me that I had to put on a suit to listen to some bozo on the phone, I would have laughed my a*s off.

When I was in, one of the main draws for people was that you were not expected to dress up for any occasion. You didn't have to put on a tie for a Sunday teaching. That was what the Lutherans and the Methodists and the Baptists and the Presbyterians and the Catholics and all those other "phony" denominations did. The true believers of the rightly divided Word of God were so above that sort of thing.

The only time I recall anybody even suggesting how people should dress was the one time that VP came to town. Had to impress the man, you know.

quote:
The only time I recall anybody even suggesting how people should dress was the one time that VP came to town. Had to impress the man, you know.

Pirate -- yea, same here. The BOT were "passin' thru" back in the mid 80's, and we were exhorted to "look our best". icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

The place they chose to meet us, was a roadside park, so they didn't have to go too far from the road they were traveling on. Definitely a suit and tie kind of place!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

In the late nineties we had a dress code--casual (jeans), casually nice (no jeans), casually elegant (dresses, nylons, sport coats, suits.) Even children were expected to follow the dress codes.

We went to a weekend camp/limb meeting in 97 that was 'casually nice', so the kids couldn't wear denim shorts.

Eventually household fellowship was deemed 'casually nice' so no jeans or tank tops etc there.

Branch/ limb meetings were casually elegant, so we were as dressed up as the local churches on Sunday.

I went to a Jehovah Witness meeting one time, and did dress up for it. Only reason I did so was to look "normal", so I wouldn't be "descended upon" by the folks there, who would see my "lack of following the dress code" as a sure sign of an "unbeliever". icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate1974:

This must have been long after my time, because I never heard of this, but I can't believe that people actually did this.

It was. I don't know when you were in, but I remember as a kid when they started doing this. There were a lot of things people did that you wouldn't have believed.

quote:

When I was in, one of the main draws for people was that you were not expected to dress up for any occasion. You didn't have to put on a tie for a Sunday teaching. That was what the Lutherans and the Methodists and the Baptists and the Presbyterians and the Catholics and all those other "phony" denominations did. The true believers of the rightly divided Word of God were so above that sort of thing.

I remember that as well. When I was younger, that was one of the "cool" things about TWI. It definitely changed over time though.

quote:

It got ridiculous. The differences between "dress your best" and "casually nice" were beaten into our heads like they were retemories, and we had to know them clearly. Then there was the protocol such as standing when any member of clergy/way corps entered the room, but only for the first time. If you were teaching or leading, you would have to dress at least "casually nice" which would be khakis and a collared shirt. If you went to any limb functions that were not at a park, you would have to "dress your best" which is suit and tie. Even classes would be like that, although I think "casually nice" for all but the first and last segments, which was when you were supposed to wear suit and tie.

So yeah, it was stupid.

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

quote:
a collared shirt

What's a collared shirt?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Is that one of those "thingies" that has all those buttons attached? icon_eek.gif

It's a green shirt that you put in a salad.

Errr, bad joke. I mean a shirt with a collar. Like a button up shirt or a polo shirt.

I really disliked going to those things. I had 2 kids about 3 & 2 so I had to sit upstairs in the bedroom, fully nicely dressed so that I could listen over the extension box. The worst part was that the bedroom was right over the living room so the kids had to be very quite & not make any noise or stomping for 1-1/2 hours.

Sheesh!

Miss you more Miss Sexie.

"A real riot..." I just broke a tear over that statement. Such sincerity, such love, springing forth from the virgin Mother of the 9th corps thread, in whom we live and move and have our being.

She knows who is standing, and who is not. She knows when you are sleeping, she knows when you're awake, she knows when you've been bad or good, so be good, for goodness sake.

I wonder if Tic and TJ had to refrain from the watering of the shrubs at HQ during the SNS ...

All this "spiritual protocol" reminds me of a picnic we had one of our first days in residense at Emporia. What a godly decision, to have an outdoor picnic behind Vaudeville library, wind gently blowing through our hair at 55 MPH, napkins and hamburger buns flying like Toto in the tornado, like a sunflower to the sun ...

We had to be dain-bramaged, all except me & Ex ...

I remember having to get dressed up for corps night hook-ups. Now that I think of it, that was pretty stupid.

I also knew of a rev who wouldn't allow his wife to wear blue jeans at home. I think they're divorced now.