GreaseSpot Cafe

How many times did you sit through pfal?

GrouchoMarxJr

I was actually told that the more times I sat through the class, the more spiritual I would become. I probably subjected myself to it at least 20 times in my 13 year involvement.

We pretended that the class was more than it was, just as we pretended that we were more spiritual than the guy sitting next to us, taking it for just the third time...when we had had it over a dozen times...what a stupid ego trip that was.

The truth be told, I was bored out of mind after the second or third time taking it. I would usually volunteer to do refreshments just to get out of the room and have a cig. Some of those sessions were akin to the chinese water torture. Especially session 4...the dreaded 4 crucified...where the cornfield preacher with the skinny tie would go on and on and on and on...malefactors, thieves...AAARRRG!

Looking back on it (been out 17 years), the way we all fussed over these stupid classes was sorta like a guy who buys a car and never drives it. He just studies the owners manual...over and over and over and over.....

Lol...it was WORSE on audio...which was the way I endured it the most...shiver

All of us staring at the same stupid posters...like they were so enlightening....bu tts sore...dying for a cig....

I must have taken it a minimal of 25 times...and yeah I faked the enthusiasm as well...after the 3rd or 4th time of taking the class....I quit trying to figure out why I didn`t *get* it...I kept taking it over and over...thinking that was the key to spirituality and having my eyes enlightened....I brought new folks and told THEM it was great too...because THATS what a spiritually mature person did.

I never DID get it...just hyped it up cause I wanted to be spiritual too.

And if you were a "volunteer" on the crew of a piffle class, it was even worse.

I was the chart-flipper for one piffle class, I forget if it was just for a few sessions or if it was for the whole thing.

One session I had great difficulty staying awake. And that's not such a good thing when you are being stared at by 30 people. I pumped 4 cups of coffee during that 10 minute break!

Another session, there was a sickth corpse grad among the attendees, St*ve Kunkl*, and he was trying to get me to crack up. So finally he put his index finger up to (but not in) his nostril, circled it around as if he was in there digging for gold, and made a big circle with his arm, finally ending up with his index finger and imaginary booger in his mouth. It was all I could do not to wet my pants in front of the class - I dashed out of there so fast, ran outside, and just lost it.

I can't remember a time when I was on the crew where I didn't almost fall asleep during one session or another.

• 1977-78: once
  • 1978-79: maybe four times, on the crew each time
  • 1979-80: probably another four times, crew again every time; two of them ran in my house
  • 1980-81: WOW year - one class (we were pitiful) - I think only two of the "new students were "witnessed to" by our WOW family - the other five were duped by the WOWvets and locals before we got there mid-year
  • 1981-82: three - coordinated one
  • 1982-83: once - then took an extended TWI break
  • 1990-91: once - my oldest son was in the class, six out of eight people were children of grads
  • 1991-92: No classes run in Nebraska
  • 1992-93: No classes run in Nebraska
  • 1993-94: Twice. My second oldest son was in the first one, but we had to drive to Omaha for it. The second was run by the WOWs; I had a guy in it that I was "undershepherding", and had to get a dispensation from the Trunk office or maybe the archangel Michael to have him in the class
  • 1994-95: Three times. The last year of PFAL in TWI. Was Assistant Coordiantor twice. The final one ended just days before we all left for the ROA.
What's that, twenty?

We were usually, if not always, told that there was always more in the class to learn. After a while I figured I must be dense, or unspiritual, or something to be missing the new stuff that I should be seeing. By the tenth or twelfth time I started straining at gnats looking for stuff, and coming up with new slants on things out of the air.

Funny, I usually saw the "actual arrors", and other goofs in PFAL, but either convinced myself that there was more to it than I was seeing, or excused them somehow.

The three-hour long sessions were rough on most people, but were defended by all as the "best" way to do it; of course until WayAP came along and the sessions were shortned to two hours.

Once I somehow recollected them all and it came up to 25 times. That doesn't include sessions I sat through separately.

One time we were running a class in a townhouse I was living in and our next door neighbor came over to complain about the noise he was hearing from our house which was "the same voice going on and on." Yup, that says it.

owww my butt hurts....here I go my eyes can't stay open....oooh here comes a joke, gotta laugh...when's the break so I can get 10 minutes of freedom... my that plant in the corner has a yellow leaf that needs to be plucked out...there go my eylids again............................................................

17 times with my rump plunked in a folding chair from the first second to the last! Once on the floor in an overflow room in the July heat...and more times than I can count when I was on a crew and popped in and out of the classroom. My middle name was coffee cans and styrofoam cups.

I lost track after 35-but it's easily over 40, and of course it was better everytime, as I always heard something I never heard before, and was more spiritually mature.

Actually, I can't believe I sat through those 4 hour evenings night after night after night, struggling to stay awake, and as often as not just being there in the name of 'grad support', as the boredom of the class was preferable to the rantings of that year's leader.

Let's see, at 12 sessions per class (15 for several years, thank you) ,with 40 classes being a conservative estimate, that comes to a minimum of500 nights listening to the same class.... WHAT THE HECK WERE WE DOING!!!

Oh well, he hasn't cracked up yet-in the automobile.

I remember when I would meet someone from another area...

As part of the meeting ritual - invariable the question would be posed: - "How many times have you taken the class?"

This of course was to establish the spiritual pecking order - especially if you were non- Corps.

Even with your own cup, the coffee usually tasted like it had been sitting on the burner for about 3 days, after being strained through a pair of dirty underpants.

I recall, during one of those mercilessly short 10 minute breaks...the new students were standing together telling jokes...I stepped forward and told them this joke..."What did Spock see when he looked into the commode?...the captains log!" icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I thought it was pretty funny (still do)...the corp leader overheard me and took me aside...he REAMED ME OUT ROYALY! Took away my position as "assistant class coordinator", and told me that I had a serious "problem". I think back on all that stuff now and I just shake my head and laugh. icon_cool.gif