GreaseSpot Cafe

How many times did you sit through pfal?

GrouchoMarxJr

There I was, I had just finished the advanced class and was now fully instructed in carrying on a two way conversation with the Almighty. I had stood faithfully for several years and had taken the foundational class at least a dozen times up to that point. I had applied myself to the goals of study, prayer and fellowship with great earnest. This did not go un-noticed by the leadership...I was now spiritually ready for the awesome responsibility of.....

FLIPPING CHARTS! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Whoahh UH,

That is one helluva question.

I began to count the times...

Whew Lourdy have the mercy

I was in for TWInty years. At least one a year minus three (for missed sessions) would be 17.

Assistant Class Co at least 5.

And those times the TWIg was to host several sessions ~~~ tack on another 3

!6 mm was my first. Then did the audio and video gigs. Then there were those with "The Day JC Died" (or someping like dat).

One of the audios were quite entertaining. The Chart Flipper during one of the mid sessions began to zone out somewhere. Eyes appearing to grow wider and wider only to slowly succumb to the gravity of bordumb the droning Teacher. Eyes now thin slits and the head ever so slowly attracted to the table. And then as if someone ZINGED him with a cattle prod a few times, he was quickly at attention... and then the cycle began again. About the fourth drowning, he was O U T. Chin on chest.

His jaw dropped

His mouth an O

And then the rythem of a snore began a slow heavy breath developing into quite a chain saw ripping through wood.

Oh yeah, we let it go to the end man. I was the Clas Co and was sort've instigating the humorus scene.

Well the whole class could not contain the comedy held with in and we burst with laughter.

He woke, almost fell off the chair.

Well enny way, we backed the tape up, as if that was utterly necessary.

So, at least TWInty Five times.

hmmm~~~ Ya know It was the word thing

Or sumpn' like 'dat

I fergit

quote:
posted by Geo:

I knew a Norwegian girl who was a W.O.W. in Duluth, who I think taught the class live a few times. Damned if I can remember her name now. Irene something, I think. Dave (Miller) help?

George -- the only "ethnic" lady I can think of is Elsa, and if there was an "Irene", I got out before she was here. But -- when you were here, there was no Irene (that I know of), and if I recollect correct, Elsa Ericks*n is the only person I can think of who was here (good gawd -- she still may be -- I don't know!!), but I don't think she ever taught the class.

At least not here. Nothing "live" ever has happened here that I am aware of, and I have been in this town for nigh on 25 years now. All "live events "that were ever offered (in them there days), happened in the twin cities.

You got me thinking now. I just spoke with Mary, the other day, about some other stuff, (yea -- we are still on speaking terms with each other, even after 20 years of divorce). And also, I thanked her for her decision for you to take out part of the roof, and put in that skylight icon_biggrin.gif:D-->) Now -- we'll see if she remembers who you are talking about.

She is just coming up to speed about things that happened back in the 90's about twi, but has a better memory than I about what happened in the '80s!! So if she comes up with something, I will surely let you know. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Oh --- and to answer the original question --- I sat through the class about 10 times (plus or minus a few).

I figured that the class was a jumping off point to other seminars offered by twi, so I did not concentrate so much on the class, as I did on the other outreach courses which followed.

I was just "following orders" --- icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Yes Heikki was Finnish but he spent some time in Oslo and later married my former Branch Leader Penny Jameson.

The class was taught by a Norwegian Corpse Grad in Drammen near Oslo but for the life of me I cannot remember his name. I attended one session when I was visiting a guy who we witnessed to during my WOW year in Hull and who took the class later.

In Norwegian Piffle is KLIO - Kraft for et liv i overflod.

Despite my poor Norwegian it was quite easy to follow but as I was familiar with the session that probably helped!

Christoph Stoop was Dutch Ex.

Back to the subject...

Session one was always, and I mean ALWAYS, the time that the main hook was thrown...and you all know what I'm talking about icon_wink.gif;)-->

CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE PREPOSTEROUS !

This doctrine of convienience emerged from the cornfield preacher at about the same time that they incorporated and decided to make a living by running a cult. Contrary to his previous teachings, der fadder in der werd decided that Gawd decided to make an exception to the old testament law of tithing and apply it to Christians...sorta. I mean, could you do less than a servant? What a "hook line"! C'mon, give the old adulterous drunk some credit here...he was a master grifter! He could talk a hungry dog off of a meat wagon...and when it cam to talking you and me out of our money...he was the master of disaster!...and it all started with that little red book...FIRST assignment of pfal...the very first frickin' thing that twi hit us with was...gimmee your dough.

Edited by GrouchoMarxjr

"CHRISTIANS SHOULD PREPOSTEROUS !

This doctrine of convienience emerged from the cornfield preacher at about the same time that they incorporated and decided to make a living by running a cult."

That would make sense. Wasn't the time that they incorporated about the time that the ABS stopped being handled on a grassroots level & all started being funnelled directly to HQ to then be sent back out to the areas as we had need, err, that is never to be seen again?

You all gave up too soon. Fifty is the number of times that you have to take the class to really start to understand it & become spiritual.

Proverbs 30:15a  ¶The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give.

quote:
Originally posted by TheSongRemainsTheSame:

... and then the cycle began again. About the fourth drowning, he was O U T. Chin on chest.

His jaw dropped

His mouth an O

And then the rythem of a snore began a slow heavy breath developing into quite a chain saw ripping through wood.

Oh yeah, we let it go to the end man. I was the Clas Co and was sort've instigating the humorus scene.

Well the whole class could not contain the comedy held with in and we burst with laughter.

Omigish, that's hilarious.

I also recall one class coordinator telling me about the time one of the class helpers being unable to contain a certain, silent-but-deadly toxic gas, apparently from indulging in a generous portion of pepperoni pizza the previous day. I guess the expressions on peoples' faces were priceless...

Danny

Did we take ourselves too seriously? -

During one of the score of classes I was in we developed a small problem with the audio tape; I foget exactly what it was, but the class coordinator decided that we needed to switch tapes.

At that time we always kept a backup tape running in sync with the main tape, so we had one ready to go.

The head honcho decided that he could not wait until the end of the segment, a mere five minutes away, nor did he want to just pop the tape out and switch 'em.

Noooo...the tape was running on a small tape player plugged into the main sound system, and the backup was running on a similar tape player. What he decided to do was have two of us crawl under the table where the tape player was located - one of us poised to yank out the original player, and the other ready to immediately plug the second in...all of this to happen on an extended VP dramatic pause that Mr. Spiritual knew was coming up (he'd taken PFAL quite a few times)

Amazingly enough, it worked perfectly, and no one knew what had happened! But looking back I marvel at how we took a simple procedure and turned it into the Allied landings on D-Day.

quote:
Don't spend any time on real issues but we can't have an audio glitch

Too true-We had a traumatized Vietnam Vet who was hearing voices, a recovering heroin addict, a prostitute, and a schizophrenic fundamentalist on heavy meds in one class and the focus was to keep the chairs straight, over organize the refreshments and to start on time at all costs.

Damn-- we were spiritual.

The irony of all this class stuff is that it really has nothing to do with anything except getting sucked into the cult.

As if.....Jesus Christ went around signing people up for a class. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> There is something very wrong with the whole premise, IMO. As others have mentioned, knowledge of one man's bible rantings have nothing to do with "spirituality" or being there for those in need.

Oi vey.

...Sorta like when you hear an old song that you haven't heard in years...suddenly you are singing along, word for word...even when you can't stand the song! It has burned it's way into your circuitry. Each session of pfal has it's own triggering mechanisms, that will reopen the passageways into cult hell. A stroll down memory lane, if you will, only Freddy Krueger is your tour guide. Thanks to the skinny tied cornfield grifter, we all have, as a permanent reminder, an emotional scar, similar to Captain Picard's when he finally escaped the borg...standing on the observation deck of the Enterprise, staring off into space, he finally understood the value of his individuality. icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
Originally posted by UncleHairy:

...Sorta like when you hear an old song that you haven't heard in years...suddenly you are singing along, word for word...even when you can't stand the song! It has burned it's way into your circuitry. Each session of pfal has it's own triggering mechanisms, that will reopen the passageways into cult hell. A stroll down memory lane, if you will, only Freddy Krueger is your tour guide. Thanks to the skinny tied cornfield grifter, we all have, as a permanent reminder, an emotional scar, similar to Captain Picard's when he finally escaped the borg...standing on the observation deck of the Enterprise, staring off into space, he finally understood the value of his individuality. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Ah, yes...

the closing moments of

"Best of Both Worlds, Part II".

That perspective sure puts a new spin on "ST:First Contact", no?

I think we can all empathize with his insight and his burning

rage at the borg in that movie....

(almost all of us, anyway.)