GreaseSpot Cafe

Yet ANOTHER lawsuit filed against The Way International today!

igotout

• 18 years later...
On 10/1/2004 at 10:07 AM, igotout said:

McMullan, who has twice been arrested when he tried to visit the sites, said any proceeds from the lawsuit will be used for medical expenses of Wierwille’s widow.

Why would a former minister of TWI, one who seems to be M&A, feel compelled to provide for Mrs. Wierwille’s medical bills? Why would there be a perceived need at all? I get that he didn’t file the suit for personal gain, but of all charities!

Of the $millions victor extracted  from his dupes, was there no provision for Mrs. W’s care into old age?

Really? WTAF?

17 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Why would a former minister of TWI, one who seems to be M&A, feel compelled to provide for Mrs. Wierwille’s medical bills? Why would there be a perceived need at all? I get that he didn’t file the suit for personal gain, but of all charities!

Of the $millions victor extracted  from his dupes, was there no provision for Mrs. W’s care into old age?

Really? WTAF?

No...no provision. He expected the way international to care for her and since they aren't health care providers, legally they could not care for her. They used this legality an excuse to not cover any of her expenses either. They left that burden on the family. Thus, McMullen's charitable actions.

Edited by OldSkool

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

No...no provision. He expected the way international to care for her and since they aren't health care providers, legally they could not care for her. They used this legality an excuse to not cover any of her expenses either. They left that burden on the family. Thus, McMullen's charitable actions.

So victor himself didn’t make arrangements for her care? He didn’t provide for her? Couldn’t he have made a 3x5 card to remind himself to do this basic thing with the spoils of his grift?

What a mean man!

Everywhere you look there is a sign. Victor was NOT a THE man of god. Not even an A man of god. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So victor himself didn’t make arrangements for her care? He didn’t provide for her? Couldn’t he have made a 3x5 card to remind himself to do this basic thing with the spoils of his grift?

What a mean man!

Everywhere you look there is a sign. Victor was NOT a THE man of god. Not even an A man of god. 

Im not sure if he did or didnt, or that if he did, the way international could legally honor whatever arrangement he may have made. I do know they took it as an excuse to pawn her medical expenses off on her family.

Considering there's no question about rosa-lie getting free lawncare, boat care and housekeeping by twi staffers, I'm sure a little creative accounting would have covered for someone who needed vital services - who was so integral to twi's history. 

There was no question about twi not covering anything.  In fact, when she was being ushered off-grounds to an elder-care facility,

the news broke here.

All over past and current twi membership, suddenly all heck broke loose. 

All anyone could talk about WAS how twi threw Mrs W out in the street, or things along those lines.

Things got so out-of-control that twi contacted the GSC admin and insisted they be allowed to tell their side of the story, and have something posted by them ON THE GSC to settle this. 

I SWEAR I'm not making ANY of this up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Considering there's no question about rosa-lie getting free lawncare, boat care and housekeeping by twi staffers, I'm sure a little creative accounting would have covered for someone who needed vital services - who was so integral to twi's history. 

There was no question about twi not covering anything.  In fact, when she was being ushered off-grounds to an elder-care facility,

the news broke here.

All over past and current twi membership, suddenly all heck broke loose. 

All anyone could talk about WAS how twi threw Mrs W out in the street, or things along those lines.

Things got so out-of-control that twi contacted the GSC admin and insisted they be allowed to tell their side of the story, and have something posted by them ON THE GSC to settle this. 

I SWEAR I'm not making ANY of this up.

No sir you are not making any of this up. I was front and center for all of this when I was at HQ. In fact, unfortunately, Im the one who found her after she had fallen by the circle in back of the EOB when she was out walking. I saw her fall, called for help, and stayed with her until they arrived. She was somewhat lucid but very confused as to what was happening with her or even why I insisted (very gently) that she remain in a comfortable position on the ground until ERT arrived. I never saw her again and was a pallbearer at her funeral.

TWI is correct in that they legally cannot provide healthcare but are dead butt wrong for shuffling all her expenses onto her family and washing their hands of her. That was Rosalie all the way with a lot of consenting voices as usual. All heck broke out around HQ with the rumors and such. 

Just for the sake of accuracy, Ros-a-lie did pay for lawn care after the lawyers came through and educated them on running a cult legally but before that absolutely paid nothing. She paid a ridicouloously low price to have an entire 5 man mowing crew pull up with zero turn mowers and take care of her estate. But it was a paper trail that proved she wasnt taking private innurements. And I mean ridicoulsly low btw, so they failed the private innurement test on that note as you are supposed to pay market rate.

• Like 2

TWI is a registered charity, is it not?  What are its charitable aims, as stated on whatever charitable body oversees suchlike in the USA, or would it be in Ohio?

While "care of the elderly" could be a charitable aim for some organisations (though not in TWI's constitution), there could be ways around that.... maybe.

:offtopic:

Y'all got me thinking.  About charitable aims.  Huh, I will start a different thread when I've sorted some things out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Twinky said:

TWI is a registered charity, is it not?  What are its charitable aims, as stated on whatever charitable body oversees suchlike in the USA, or would it be in Ohio?

While "care of the elderly" could be a charitable aim for some organisations (though not in TWI's constitution), there could be ways around that.... maybe.

:offtopic:

Y'all got me thinking.  About charitable aims.  Huh, I will start a different thread when I've sorted some things out.

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), charitable aims are stated in the following:

"The exempt purposes set forth in Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.  The term charitable  is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erection or maintenance of public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency."

Sooooo... advancement of religion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I'm confident (as a former accountant) if twi WANTED to take care of Dorothea, medically and financially, they could have gotten around it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm confident (as a former accountant) if twi WANTED to take care of Dorothea, medically and financially, they could have gotten around it.

I mean, it's really revealing when you think about it....revealing especially when considering the directors efforts with GSC.

Edited by OldSkool
  • Like 1

Thank you all for providing perspective and treating me like a golden retriever when I ask obvious, even stupid, questions. This is all so absurd, but I know it's true.

I'm dumbfounded... 

Mmmph...

just... wow...

no words...

except...

What does the Bible say about caring for widows?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waysider said:

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), charitable aims are stated in the following:

"The exempt purposes set forth in Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.  The term charitable  is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erection or maintenance of public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency."

Sooooo... advancement of religion.

I believe we touched on this before in another thread.

I find the inclusion of this phase in the tax code to be an egregious, contemptuous phuque yoo to the Fist Amendment, which is just a verbose way of saying the tax code 501(c)(3) is unconstitutional.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

25 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

which is just a verbose way of saying the tax code 501(c)(3) is unconstitutional.

I would be surprised if this particular point has not been thoroughly litigated already.

45 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

What does the Bible say about caring for widows?

That's a wonderful rhetorical question. (Therefore, I'll not look it up at this time) :wink2: :confused:

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Nor would I. The religious lobby is extremely powerful. Ever see The Family on Netflix.

No, but I read the book by Jeff Sharlet with that title... which is why I didn't watch the movie. :confused:

20 minutes ago, Rocky said:

No, but I read the book by Jeff Sharlet with that title... which is why I didn't watch the movie. :confused:

Ah, well, then surely you know that you know that you know. It was a docuseries, not quite a movie. Nonetheless...

We don't have enough Jeff Sharlets in this world. 

6 hours ago, waysider said:

The term charitable  is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed,

There ya go.  The "get out of accountancy jail" card.

Furthermore, and Nathan (I think) raised it above: there is a religious duty to care for widows and orphans.

Though their "get out of scripture jail" card would be this (1 Tim 5:3-4, 16)

3Honor the widows who are truly widows. 4But if a widow has children or grandchildren, they [the children or grandchildren] must first learn to show godliness to their own family and repay their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.

16If any believing woman has dependent widows, she [the widow's daughters] must assist them and not allow the church to be burdened, so that it can help the widows who are truly in need.

but - but - but - we're family, aren't we?  Ah, right.  All brothers and sisters in Christ.  So we don't have to care for our sisters, is that it?

Except that they forget

17Elders who lead effectively are worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

And Mrs W had been a "teacher" in many ways (some honorable, some less so) in her own right.  So therefore, she needs "double honor."  What does "double honor" mean, anyway?  They honor VPW; they should honor his widow (the double honor?? arguably) also.

Disgraceful.

Now that RFR has retired/been retired from being Prez, I wonder what she is doing for healthcare needs.  Perhaps her health is reasonable at the moment.  Will she get some kind of free support from TWI?  Or did she get (on a need basis, of course) sufficient to provide a pension plan and insurance cover for increasing health needs?  

Seems likely that she won't have put herself in the position of being thrown under the bus, as Mrs W was.