GreaseSpot Cafe

Welcome to the Greasespot Cliche Festival!

WordWolf

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, the dreaded scheduler. My FAVORITE example of this stupidity was a guy in our branch who drove a delivery truck to grocery stores. They told him he should have his days mapped out a week in advance. The problem? He never knew one day to the next what he'd be doing! Well, they said "figure it out!" To this he replied "how?! I don't know until they tell me."

The solution?

No kidding

Wait for it

Fill it out with your best guess as to which stores they'll send you to and when. Then send a corrected one at the end of the week with what you actually did.

No, really! LMAO!

JT

For me it wasn't just sayings that became cliche, but certain words. One poster already wrote about the word "bless(ed)(ing)". There's many others that have "lost their flavor" for me because they were soooooo overused....

available

abundant

household

family

strength

present truth

leadership

Zion

man of God

knowledge and wisdom

established

received

plurality

higher ground

and many more....

I remember that on more than one occasion I was asked to make a card for leadership for some stupid class or function we had to attend. A bit of writer's block was stumping me on what to write for the inside of the card. My solution: a list of present truth buzz words that I could fashion into a greeting. You know the kind I'm talking about....

"It is with abundantly abundant joy that we, the household of God, stand together this great day on higher ground as we complete the Defeating the Adversary class that you have so lovingly made available to us so that we can be strongly rooted and grounded on God's Word, withstanding the wiles of our opponent."

(If that quote doesn't make some of you ol' TWI2-ers cringe in your chairs, I don't know what will!)

Chas, and to think I envied talented writers like you because your cards always sounded so good. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Those words set off triggers for me too. It really causes a problem with the church I now attend. They use some of those words innocently and sparingly, but I know I flinch every time they say one of those words.

I missed church on Sunday because I decided to go to the grocery store and take care of some errands early in the day. Some of my new church buddies called "just to make sure I was alright." I can't tell you how much that annoyed me. icon_mad.gif They most likely meant well and really were concerned since I haven't missed in a long time, but their calls sounded too much like the subtle inquisitions of TWIts.

They were so good at, "I'm just concerned about you....." "I just wanted to make sure you are ok...." etc. b.s. to find out how else they can meddle with your life.

What about the term "love bomb"?

Anyone remember that?

I don't, but Hubby, who was TWI-1, remembers it. (He still uses it but it's in regards to the raspberries he puts on Kristopher's tummy when they're rough-housing. He yells, "Love BOMB!" and then plants a big, wet "phtttthhhhhhbbblaaaatttt!" on the squealing kid!)

JustThinking --

You just gave me a great idea!

How about a version of "Present Truth" Adlibs?

That could be a scream!

"It is with (adverb)(advective)(verb)that we, the household of (proper noun), stand together this great day on (adjective)ground as we complete the (verb)the Adversary class that you have so (adjective) made available to us so that we can be (adverb)rooted and grounded on (possessive proper noun) Word, withstanding the wiles of our opponent."

"I just want to help you" creeps me out.

It was always followed by some humiliating trash, followed by demands and standards set so you were sure to fail.

Don't know if it was ministry wide or just a local nasty thing.

Belle--the telephoine call would have freaked me out, too.

Chas quote:

"JustThinking --

You just gave me a great idea!

How about a version of "Present Truth" Adlibs?

That could be a scream!

"It is with (adverb)(advective)(verb)that we, the household of (proper noun), stand together this great day on (adjective)ground as we complete the (verb)the Adversary class that you have so (adjective) made available to us so that we can be (adverb)rooted and grounded on (possessive proper noun) Word, withstanding the wiles of our opponent."

ROTFLMAO! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Chas, you are brilliant! Wayfers could play it on the way to the mall to witness. The advanced version would require that the terms of the day be used for bonus points. Remember when Craig learned the word "Regnancy?"

JT icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

If it's to be...It's up me! Boy if that isn't a codependent statement.

"God has no feet but our feet to walk among the almost dead." Talk about placing undue shame if you don't speak Gawd's Wouid.

Have a Happy HouseHold Holiday. Arrrg!

"All nine all the time". Bullshi@. How do you walk that anyway?

"Speak in tongues much." WHY? How can S.I.T build you up when your limb leader has just tore you a new one. Ohhh... spiritually...Nuts!

Don't get me started. It is those damn cliche that ruminate more in my head then the actual Bible. Now that's brainwashing.

SIT like a house on fire....

Oh boy!!!

Hey!!!

TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE HOSE

• 2 weeks later...

I thinnk My all time favorite was

"now that you've signed up for "THE CLASS", watch out the devil will really be out to mess with you"

THis was supposed to be encouraging??!???

I mean it is kind of like telling me that now that I'm driving to watch out becuase all the roads we be removed.

I wouldn't be driving

Sigh, too bad I wasn't able to use the same sense when It came to piffle