GreaseSpot Cafe

A bunch of glory-grabbers

skyrider

Growing up playing sports, we used to have a word for someone who took credit for others' hard-earned accomplishments........glory-grabber.

A glory-grabber was a fraud. He was a thief. He stole the spotlight, because otherwise he rarily was in it.

whenever twi boasts that they "taught me the word"......... I am reminded of my youthful teammates who called a spade, a spade. Hence....a glory-grabber. It was a detestable label and one that was hard to shake.

By sleight of hand, twi endeavors to interchange terms to mean something quite different. I guess it wouldn't work very well if they said, "Stand with the ministry that taught you pfal." SO.....?????

Besides.....who taught me "the word?" And, why is it in the PAST TENSE?

I learned truth from my church, my parents, my siblings, my friends, my classmates, my college buddies, etc. etc.

I also think that I'm still LEARNING THE WORD OF TRUTH.

So, twi.......you can spout your little cliches till you're blue in the face. To me, you are a "glory-grabber."

And, if that isn't enough.....let's all sing, To God be the glory great things He hath done, so loved He the world that He gave us His son.....

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

skyrider

Agreed, ex 70s.... It wasn`t untill I ditched all of those *formulas* and *principles* that required God to act in a particular fashion...at my bidding...that things started to click again spiritually...You know...it took 5 friggin years AFTER leaving twi before I started questioning the absolute *truths*....what a waste.

What she said and AMEN to y'all!

Great thread! They act like we were bumbling idiots before we were saved by twi. If they had their way we'd believe we were nothing and would be nothing if it weren't for twits. They want us to worship them - not God.

p.s. I'm glad sOMe one hasn't hijacked this thread like he is want to do.

quote:

Great thread! They act like we were bumbling idiots before we were saved by twi. If they had their way we'd believe we were nothing and would be nothing if it weren't for twits. They want us to worship them - not God.

In hindsight....the condescending attitude was rampant throughout twi's leadership. And, vpw was the worst of the worst. I was in a corps meeting where he threw a ....y fit for 20 minutes because some corps guy, with a low blood sugar problem, dozed off during vp's teaching. Why.....you'd have thought this guy stood up and flipped ole vpw the bird, or something??

And while we are on the subject of glory-grabbing......did ya ever notice how twi's bod courted the professionals, the athletes, the doctors and such? Seemed like twi was hot on the trail for new "pfal poster people."

And......I always thought it quite ironic that after Bud Morgan's film highlighting the Stauhal family, they soon up and split out.

Smart. Very smart people indeed.

skyrider

Sky,

quote:
did ya ever notice how twi's bod courted the professionals, the athletes, the doctors and such? Seemed like twi was hot on the trail for new "pfal poster people."

Man ... this made me hurl when I saw this.

Pretty much anything anyone with any affluence ... be it worldly success or monetary success TWI pretty much gave them the red carpet. And, no matter what these people did or did not do according to TWI standards was excusable behaviour. As long as they served a purpose ... everything and anything was acceptable.

puke, puke, puke, puke icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_mad.gificon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_razz.gif:P-->

Oh so glad I'm no longer a part of that double standard insane asylum!

quote:
Originally posted by skyrider:

quote:

In hindsight....the condescending attitude was rampant throughout twi's leadership.

And, vpw was the worst of the worst. I was in a corps meeting where he threw a ....y fit for 20 minutes because some corps guy, with a low blood sugar problem, dozed off during vp's teaching. Why.....you'd have thought this guy stood up and flipped ole vpw the bird, or something??

And while we are on the subject of glory-grabbing......did ya ever notice how twi's bod courted the professionals, the athletes, the doctors and such? Seemed like twi was hot on the trail for new "pfal poster people."

And......I always thought it quite ironic that after Bud Morgan's film highlighting the Stauhal family, they soon up and split out.

Smart. Very smart people indeed.

skyrider

Why, Skyrider,

You almost make it sound as if vpw was NOT some sort of spiritual

super-man, who bestrode the pillars of hq and shook the heavens.

You make it sound as though vpw was a guy who evaluated things solely

by his five senses, and only evaluated THOSE when it suited his own

purposes or his own ego.

Wierwille made me sick, the way he would chase after celebrities and people that he deemed as successful. I recall during corps week, Veepee dragged in Bob Richards, the olympic champion from the 50's...the guy who sold Wheaties for years on TV...he was a celebrity of sorts and Veepee was soooooooo impressed with himself because he roped him in. Richards went on and on about how impressed he was with twi...but after that day, I never saw him again.

Someone posted earlier about a poster they had showing a prof football player who had taken "the class". Does anyone remember anything about that?

Why have a poster about a pro football player up at a meeting if they are not respectors of people? Does it help my relationship with God to know that someone famous in someone else's eyes is in the same group? Their priorities are all screwed up!

There were definitely "celebrities" who took PFAL and were used in a promotional pamphlet, over and above the "TWI Urban Legends" about famous PFAL grads. In addition to Collins, Jim Schoenfeldt, then of hockey's Buffalo Sabres and Bob Donaldson, a rodeo clown were briefly around in the early 80's.

I am finding it ironic that twi couldn't rest content ("knowing they had THE WORD"), and had to have endorsements on top of it all!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I remember Collins, and Gahagan -- trotted out on stage at ROA, as if somehow their prescence validated twi, and vpw. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Speaking of twi being "glory-grabbers" -- who was the guy who was a sales rep for Martin Guitars?? He donated a coupla Martins to Way Prod. -- and it was made known to us poor peons, that Martin never endorsed anyone, yet they chose to do so in the case of twi, never letting us know that it was the rep who donated the guitars, and not the CFMartin company itself.

That happened back in '77 of so (not sure of the exact year), but twi was sure glad to add one more "feather to their cap". icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Yup,

He even had a tape of the Way Orchestra made for the occasion (secular stuff pretty much,...actually the only tape I could actually stand listening to for any length of time) and handed the tape out as a gift to those attending the ball. I was told that VP and Mrs. were the hosts of the ball.

Supposedly, the ball he was attended was an adjoining ball .. one that was going on simultaneously along with the other ball ??? Not too clear on this.

They always seem to give sketchy details about these events. Things seem to make their way to you via some rumour or word a mouth. Of course, things were usually blown right out of proportion by they time I heard them. But, they always seemed to be exaggerated to make the BOTs look like they were walking on water!!

There is no "one" inaugural ball. There are many that go on simultaneously with an average of 5000 people at each. The new President and First Lady visit them all during the course of the evening.

Wierwille was not invited to attend an inaugural ball or any other event by President Reagan, nor did he host an event.

"Invitations" to inaugural events can be requested from congressional offices. Apparently this is what Wierwille did. He is listed on a database of tens of thousands of others who requested and received invitations that year, including someone who called himself "The King of the Gypsies".

Karl Kahler discusses this in his book with quotes by people on the inaugural committee as well as former U.S. Senator Bob Dole. I quoted it somewhere around here but can't find it