GreaseSpot Cafe

Why Dallas........again and again?

skyrider

So, twi is making the bi-annual "pilgrimage" to Dallas.......again?

This has got to be the 5th or 6th time.....right? What gives? Since Bill Grxxnx got shipped off to Atlanta, can't anyone at twi step in and handle some conference negotiations?

Actually......IMO twi has settled on this location for the following reasons (and more):

* Central location -- therefore, it helps to "equalize" travel costs (flight fare) for those traveling the long distances.

* Board of directors get to escape the cold weather in Ohio and be wined and dined in luxury suites.

* Same location year after year.....cuts costs of sending in a team of twit people to survey all the variables.

* Twi attendance is FAR TOO SMALL to warrant an east coast/west coast scenario.

* Corps volunteers in Texas and surrounding states are expected to take a week off work and get their butts there to be the work force.

* Just goes to show ------ twi is dead. And, twi mocks religious organizations for being in a rut????

* Once again.......so much of twi's selection has to do with MONEY and CONVENIENCE for the bod. The attendees are probably tired of seeing the same conference room year after year after year.

Same location, same speakers, same message, same wayspeak, and same boring time.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_razz.gif:P-->

skyrider

Well, hmmmmm, uh........, cough, cough.

I don't think they have a better idea.

I went to Dallas over Thanksgiving in 1998. The hotel was nice, I had recently had double knee surgery and most of the dang place was marble flooring. I was on crutches, except for those moments I was completely vain. The hotel gave me a complete suite on the second floor, not far from the meeting rooms at the same rate as a double room. Just for the record....I asked them if they gave copies of our room service tabs to twi (back to the beer conversation.)

During 98-2001 I spent quite a few 3 week stints in Texas for work, mostly in Houston at the Galleria Westin. This Renaissance wasn't a bit nicer. I think twi must have a really good contract in place, that combined with the fact that the Renaissance must not have much of a Turkey weekend rack reserve. The hotel is very business class.....probably most of their regulars are there on business only, and don't spend their Thanksgivings there.

Don't even get me started on how hard the Dallas/Ft Worth airport is to navigate while one is on crutches and shlepping ones own luggage icon_mad.gif

ror

I'm not an expert on conferences, but I liked the setup of the Dallas location. Is it the Wydham Anatole?

Before they started trekking to Dallas, we had a few WIB's in Chicago at the Hilton. Beautiful Hotel (I was there this June for a grocery industry conference and trade show), but wasnh't set up to handle the flow of big crowds very well. You left the meeting rooms only to find yourself in narrow corridors. Dallas' meeting rooms let out into a roomy atrium; much better.

I gotta say that the so-called "meal packages" were a joke. I always ate better and cheaper in the reastaurants and kiosks.

I think they pick the Wyndham because it isn't near anything. You're basically stuck there once you arrive unless you have your own car, but most use the airport shuttles so they are limited to walking distance & you can't go very far at that because the break times are too short.

Isolation is my guess as to why they choose the Wyndham. That, and the Wyndham probably bends over backwards to keep the business since Thanksgiving is such a down time of the year.

quote:
Originally posted by skyrider:

* Corps volunteers in Texas and surrounding states are expected to take a week off work and get their butts there to be the work force.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_razz.gif:P-->

skyrider

I wonder how many surrounding states they need to get enough Corps? Even including "Corps Grads," there can't be that many left in Texas! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

George

The last one we went to was in Dallas - but it wasn't over Thanksgiving - I think it was Easter weekend. I never could go on Thanksgiving because it's my mom's favorite holiday - and I wouldn't want to miss having it with her.

Anyway - John and I cut out and went to the Sixth Floor Museum. It was way more memorable than the WIB conference - as well as more interesting and thought-provoking.

To any of you innies who might be going, get a cab and go check it out. I've fogotten the teachings - but remember the museum.

THW,

I went to the one in DC. I didn't register though. Just walked in. No one told me ahead of time about registering. I happened to be there for work and a friend took me. It actually was kind of weird. The workshops were actually useful. The main teachings were pretty defensive.

The only thing I remember was L***y P***arello teaching that we don't "preserve the Word, the Word preserves us." It was a swipe at the folks who left who said that is what they were doing.