GreaseSpot Cafe

Priceless Corps Moments

tomtuttle

There were moments in the Corps, just like WOW stories, that were golden. Please feel free to add your "pearls of great price" ...

At the beginning our first year in residence in Emporia, one day after dinner whilst LCM was spewing as he was wont to do, one of our 9th corps sistren, M@rtha Shee&an, decided to light up a cigarette. After seeing the smoke rising, LCM SCREAMS over the microphone:

LCM: "What the HELL do you thing you're doing!!!!????".

M@rtha: "I'm smoking.".

LCM screaming: "Do you see any ASHTRAYS???".

M@rtha innocently: "No, I'll just use my plate."

• Upvote 1

Corps week 83 J K from Texas stands up and was talking about to many meeting and wasting time driving across Texas. Big head lcm goes off on him and starts in a rant. The mog vpee comes out and tells him to shut up. loy boy puts his tail between his leggs and walks off stage.

Priceless

Rome City - 4:00 AM

After a 25min lecture a voice from the back of the room.... You drug us in here in the middle of the night to yell at us for something that most people here know nothing about? Would it not have been better to talk to the person that did it at a reasonable hour? I just have one question...

Do we do any f@**ing thing right?

just a funny:

upon arrival to RC one of my corpse sisters from NY was shown her room, she said, "ok this is my closet now where is my room?"

she also, when getting to Tinny for Lead said,

"where are the bathrooms?" (when they motioned to her the great outdoors was her bathroom she was shocked)

suzie

I wasn't corpse, but- funniest thing I heard about was about the LEAD experience. Somehow, Mrs. Wierwille caught wind that the poor corpses couldn't freshen themselves at the camp. She got some young whipper snapper by the ear, and lo and behold, the ban against bathing was mysteriously lifted.

I hope this was not just another Vey urban legend..

It's pouring rain at corps week.....and one night, while the corps are sitting in the main tent, a section of the tent roof is sinking lower...and lower...and lower.

Geeze Louise!......they can't stop teaching on the main stage and TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. Nope! Nuttin's gonna stop em from holdin forth da verd.

Finally.....when someone saw the urgency of the situation moved a whole section of people on the right side......and Stxve Unrxxn or somebody on top of that tent, cuts a large gash for the water to drain out.

Later......lcm delivers scathing remarks that the pitiful corps can't STOP THE RAIN with their believing.

Actually, it was VP who put an end to the "no freshening-up" rule, because I was there when he did it. He came to our LEAD session and we had a campfire or some sort of get-together. If I recall correctly, he asked how it was going, and someone asked, "Why can't we even wash our faces and clean up a little?" And he said something like, "Who said you couldn't?" And the rule was put to an end.

What came up in the discussion was that once he'd been at a LEAD session and made one of his off-handed comments, and the LEAD staff had taken it as the basis for a new law. He told us what he'd actually said was, "Aw you kids need to learn how to get dirty." If I remember right, what prompted that comment was that people weren't getting into the whole rugged outdoors thing and were being kinda prissy about it.

He hadn't said anything about not allowing anyone to wash up, but as usual, there were some zealots present who interpreted his comment as some kind of revelation and made a new rule.

Sorry for the derail, Tom T, but I might as well tell the rest of the story. That was also the LEAD session during which Jack and Tina W and some others got the axe from LEAD staff. I think that's why VP was there, to "straighten out" LEAD. Later I heard him say he had been mistaken in firing them and that he'd listened to the wrong people. Sometimes he had a knack for that.

I was disappointed, because Tina was my LEAD Twig leader, and I liked the way she worked with us. One night while we were sleeping, I think only about 3 days into the session, she and the others who got fired were just sent away. So Tina, if you're out there lurking, thanks for being a great LEAD staffer! I was sorry you got treated that way.

quote:
Originally posted by skyrider:

Later......lcm delivers scathing remarks that the pitiful corps can't STOP THE RAIN with their believing.

Interesting...At an Advanced Class at HQ (around '95), there was MASSIVE rain. lcm (presumably the same one) said that some people were feeling bad because the heavy rain meant they weren't believing; he then said, "Oh, yeah? What about Noah?" The point being that they were believing to be PREPARED for the rain.

George

I wasn't corps either, but one moment that sticks out to me was during one of those classes that we had on a Saturday morning from about 9-12.

We were breaking for lunch, tired and hungry when the leader called on someone to pray to end the morning session.

The guy started with the normal stuff, then got intense and went on and on and on...and for the greatestness of the Word like it has never been known...

and on ... and for our father in the word....

and on ..and for each and every WOW worldwide...

He was going for a couple of minutes when finally a voice yelled from the back of the room Let My People Go.That got people laughing, broke him out of his trance and we were finally able to eat

Priceless corp moments......

For me, there are two kinds of corps moments. The priceless moments that happened in the course of way corps TRAINING, at a root location or LEAD and, those kind of PRECIOUS PRICELESS CORPS MOMENTS that happened to ME while I was in the Way Corps---on the field, or in residence.

My first year in residence (Waterbuffalo you may remember this...) around this time of year, one night at dinner, JAL was up pontificating.....the av guys had CHARIOT OF FIRE soundtrack playing in the background. JAL is DRONNING on and on......and two 11th corps guys.....get up and pretend to be the chariots of fire runners........in SLOW MOTION around the perimeter of the dining room!! JAL all of a sudden realized he was being AN IDIOT!!! And gave into the rest of us.......it was a moment that will always be there for meicon_smile.gif:)-->

A great personal in residence moment-----the summer of 1983 at hq, it was my first year in residence, almost to my interim year. I was in a cast (I had broken my ankle at Emporia MONTHS BEFORE, but along with the broken bone, I had 3 torn tendons.) My assignment that block was DISHROOM (yeah I know.)

We were setting up the 1400 place settings in the osc lunchroom.....we had the "Teacher" by the orchestra playing on the tape cassette. We set the entire meal up pretending we were BALLERINAS!!.....after all......we were THE DISHROOM QUEENS. Walter Cummins LOVED THAT.....he walked through about 50 times just to laugh at us.

The way sucked, was evil......and insidiously ruined peoples lives.....some of the people, were the most valuable human beings God ever dreamed of.

Radar

dear sweet marth, still my bud....

she also went to those early early early morning meetings in her pajamas until she got reproved.... i think she really believed she was in a big way home.... i love her

please someone please tell the story when richard thomas had the guy stand up from the 10th in the afterglow meeting to give him back his nametag (bless patrol had turned in) and he confessed (not knowing he had not really been caught for missing the sunday night service) "i was in the closet, sir...." oh tell it, please. if not i will have to try. it's one of the very best....

9th corps ice cream bowl. where is fastbuck ? they made darlene (our assistant coordinator) cry.....

tooooo much funny stuff

carry on, i'll be back later

15th Corps First night in Res. In Emporia. We all finished eating. JAL did his little speech after dinner. He asked if there were any questions and they had better be important questions. Only on person raised their hand. If I remember right JAL said this had better be a good question. I can't remember who it was. Asked the question. What time is breakfast? I think the whole 13th and 15th fell on the floor laughing as JAL turned 15 shades of red.

One story that I heard about the corps....

A guy had a reputation for falling asleep during the loooonnnggg

teachings.

One time our poor Eutychus was listening to vpw go on (and on.)

Once he fell asleep, his neighbor tapped him and whispered

"He just asked you to speak in tongues and interpret."

Immediately, he sprang to his feet in the middle of the

teaching, loud enough for the whole room.

" Lo shanta vea lo shanta" (or equivalent).

He was interrupted pretty quickly by vpw, who said

"Sit down and shut up."

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

excellent justloafing !!!!!! lmao

Funny thing. JAL probably went over everything we needed to know. When he said it had better be a good question. I could not even fathom a question to ask. Whoever it was and if they are on this board. I give you a 2 thumbs up. It was classic.

I told this long ago on Waydale, but I'll repeat it for those who weren't around then.

We had a member of the "sunset Corps," Clarence G., in our Corps. Clarence tended to fall asleep in class. Nancy Duncan was teaching in the chapel, and Clarence was sitting near the front of the room at the end of a row, on the aisle.

Suddenly, Clarence, who was sleeping, fell out of his seat and rolled right into the aisle. He was fine, and we all had a good laugh.

One priceless Corps moment M.D. F**t was a part of ... final year in-residence at Emporia, early December on a Sunday morning ... beautiful snowfall. At the 10:30 fellowship, Michael shared scornfully about how some people loved snow, but that he grew up in Ohio, hated shoveling it, etc...went on for quite a while (and this was the 10:30 "service" in the Ambassador Room). After that we went down to lunch in the Dining Hall and Dr. Wierwille shared after lunch that while he had been listening to the 10:30 on a setup in his motorcoach, he thought he was in church, and proceeded to rail upon Michael and talk about "the treasures of the snow" mentioned in the Bible. Michael never complained about snow again in public, I will bet!

Another one JAL shared with us: he once introduced Dorothy at a Corps wedding, as "Mrs. Ermal Organ" after introducing Rhoda as the piano player.

TF

quote:
Another one JAL shared with us: he once introduced Dorothy at a Corps wedding, as "Mrs. Ermal Organ" after introducing Rhoda as the piano player.

I heard that someone once introduced Emal and Dorothy as "Mr. and Mrs. Dorothy Owens" at a limb meeting. Surely there was hell to pay for that...

I just remembered one of the funniest things at the end of my first year in the Tenth Corps. The Eighth, Tenth and College Div went to see the Kansas City Royals play the Detroit Tigers up at Royals Stadium.

We all sat together and our going there was sort of a "treat" before we all went out on the field. We all had bags of popcorn from the snack shop corn popper, and we commenced to watch the game. At one point, I think it was Jeff Pro*asco and a couple of others started throwing a little bit of popcorn at eachother in a little harmless outdoor fun.

And then, one of our "elder Corps" bros, Craig Cus*ing*am, goes down to where these "sophomoric" first year spiritually immature 10th Corps were "spiritually out of line" and begins to reprove them. This guy goes on and on about how "we are The Way Corps, and an example to all who see us! You are an embarrasment to the Corps..." and on and on and on. He was on his soapbox and all who could see were watching a "true mini-mog" in action! He was probably thinking that God would make a special place for him in Heaven for taking such a mighty stand against the adversary!

We who were near were thinking about how stupid this "reproof" sounded, and since it was coming from this particular guy, we weren't surprised. And then, Linda MacDuffy, comes down the aisle between the bleachers behind this guy when he wasn't looking, and dumps her whole bag of popcorn on this guys head!

Well, he whips around with fire in his eyes, only to find Rev. MacDuffy laughing and shaking her head at him! He was seriously confounded as the entire Way College erupts into uproarious laughter! And then, as if on cue, the biggest popcorn fight that I ever witnessed or will ever witness in my life ensued right there on the spot! Popcorn was flying everywhere, and it was beautiful man, just beautiful. And other baseball fans were looking at us and laughing and enjoying seeing such a huge group of people having so much fun together. God I love that woman!!

Edited by Jonny Lingo
  • Upvote 1

This may be old light to the 9th, but NEW light to the other generations I bring it to ...

After the evening spew at supper one evening in Emporia, Russ S&nior raises his hand. George & Darlene H were at the headless table.

Darlene: Russell, do you have something to share??

Russell: I have someone I would like to lift.

Darlen: OK, go ahead.

So Russell turns towards the guy sitting next to him and lifts him up out of his seat.

Darlene: Russell S&nior, please meet with me & George immediately after the meal in the sonlight room ...

This is more of a WOW story than a Corps story although it involved my corps coordinator on her second year (out on the "field").

At WOW training at the Rock of Ages we were told no drinking for the year and we could not work outside our city. My corps coordinator was one of the greatest believers I have ever met (to this day and this happened over 20 years ago). Also, she hated rules and regulations that didn't make sense and if they didn't make sense to her she would break them and suffer the consequences.

Anyway, we had a really hard time finding a house especially since we had three young (under seven) children (none mine) in our family. Also, ten days in, my WOW brother splits.

So we finally get our house (no furniture) and we decide to celebrate. My corps coordinator comes back after calling our limb coordinator to let him know we had found a house and moved in. She says, " I told him we were going to celebrate"......but I didn't say how as she with big smile on her face lifts her newly purchased six pack of Bud out of her grocery bag (Note: kids were asleep). I knew right then and there everthing was going to fine....and it was. Many, many people got born again that year.

Also, a related story, we were told we could not leave the city for work. We had to stay in the city. So two weeks in, our money is running low because all of us were having a tough time finding employment to work around the kids school schedule. Anyway, I take this job for a day... moving furniture.

I show up the next morning and ask the mover what time we will be back....he says 7 PM. I am thinking great...I'm gonna make some money. I get in the truck and we start driving..as we leave town I ask him where we are going....I find I am not only leaving town for the day but leaving the state!!!

When I came back home, someone ask where did you move furniture....All I said was "you don't want to know.....but look at all the money I made (wink)!!!

• Upvote 1