GreaseSpot Cafe

Priceless Corps Moments

tomtuttle

I remember we presumably scored PR points with the locals because we sent those nurses to some city meeting that included the school people and so forth. And I remember being in line two people away from inspection when it was decided the infestation was there. Yep, I remember the kerosene.

quote:
Didnt know if you were just making a smile or really didnt recognize JT. He is the one whose wife NT helped us out when we corps men raided the women in the VPW home and stole their huge plate of nachos.

Lifted, I was making a smile and really don't recognize JT. I also don't recognize the story about raiding the women in the VPW home and would LOVE to hear that one! icon_wink.gif;)-->

Thank you! icon_smile.gif:)-->

The 8th corps men at HQ decided to pull a raid on the women having a get together in the Wierwille home. It wasn't a panty raid, but a nacho raid...we all stormed in and out together, taking their big nacho plate in the confusion.

We had two women allies. First a couple of the guys went to Mrs. W. and got her permission...VPW was away from HQ at the time. More noteably, Naomi T., wife of coordinator JT, gave us the inside scoop on what they were doing and the fact that there would be the big nacho plate available.

A bit later, some of the women came up to us outside our trailer as we were snacking...heh heh...and NT was snacking right along with us, They looked at her and exclaimed her name in surprise like she was a traitor...which I guess she was. But everyone (I think) got a laugh out of it in the end.

This was in the fall of 1979.

I heard that story from macmarine ... he and Da**s Cro*ell were not Dana's roomies ... just did it for fun one night after Bless Patrol, as I remember. (They must have had more energy than I did after BP.) He lives locally and I'm pals with him and mrs. mac, so I will call him and will see if he is in the mood to write...

ToadFriend

On the corps camping trip in Kansas in March 1978, we were hiking across the countryside with all our gear (including our live chickens), and were settling down to our camping spot in the evening, having already pitched our two person tents (coed no less). As we milled around after a meeting, I pointed out the lightning on the northeastern horizon to our co-leader, fellow 8th corps and resident outdoorsman Jack W. He asked me my professional opinion of what it meant, and I told him it looked like a line of heavy thunderstorms. He didn't wait for me to tell him if they were headed our way (I didn't know, to tell the truth); but immediately with co-leader and 6th corps Dave B. directed us to gather up camp immediately. We did (it took a little time) and the whole group h9iked off (again carrying all out gear) to some empty farm buildings, making it just as the first raindrops fell. There we spent the rest of the camping trip, through the snow the next day, and that's also where we prepared our FRESH chicken dinners (but that's been gone over a few times).

It's also where fellow 8th corps and tenor JZ, with the whole group lounging around in the hay, announced out loud that he was changing his pants. When asked why he told everyone, he said "So those who want to turn away can do so, and those who want to look can look."

quote:
Originally posted by outandabout:

I heard about that trip. I was on the list but I'd already left for Texas! Guess I lucked out. I heard you guys almost froze to death in that barn.

It wasn't that bad to me, but then I am somewhat of a cold weather friend. Also, there was plenty of hay in the barn.

Besides the chicken dinners, which I may have to recount (again) if Shell keeps bugging me wave.gif:wave:--> , on that trip I took a sacrificial wet foot for my group. It was this exercise where everyone held onto a long rope as we hiked around a "hazardous" path. If one person let the rope touch the ground (or water), the whole group had to start over. I slipped on a rock crossing a small stream, and instead of using my arms to steady myself, I kept my grip on my part of the rope and let my foot slip down into the stream. I guess that was supposed to show how dependent we were on each other.

And then there was the "appreciate freedom" exercise, in which we were subject to the whims of our dictator, "Lord Dave" B. in my case.

Yeah, I went on that same type camping trip but at another time. I remember the "commie camp."

I dealt with it by making woven mats made out of long grass.

And yes we had to carry chickens around also. And I got to hold the feet of one while some one else chopped off its head. And yes, chickens run around without their heads.

Which reminds me of a time while I was at HQ and we went to Kipp farm and watched a goat get shot in the head and then some of us skinned it and took its insides out. It was mostly the nurses who could stand it.

I just walked around the barn while it was going on. I thought the whole thing was odd, and I felt sorry for the goat. Poor thing. It was just standing there looking at the guy before it got shot in the head. Makes me so sad to think of it now.

And what was that all about anyway? To teach us to be more heartless?

Outandabout,

I felt many times we were put in these surreal situations to make us numb.

After awhile, even when terrible things happened 'in the world' or to people inside or outside of TWI, that I was pretty much indifferent. I felt inside that to show any emotion would be me 'out of control' or 'lacking in control'.

Please carry on with the moments.

I just wanted to let Outandabout know that I understood what she was saying. wave.gif:wave:-->

quote:
And what was that all about anyway? To teach us to be more heartless?

No O and A,

I don't think it was to teach us to be heartless. I think it was to teach us where it was that our food really comes from. My wife, while at the Indianna campus, was to kill chickens, and inparticular, pull their guts out after they were dead.

And so, when my wife and I duck, quail, pheasant, or ptarmigan hunt, she knows exactly how to dress out the bird, and we share the task as needed.

I think that just because The Way Corps was something that was a negative experience for some, it doesn't mean that everything in it was designed to make us a more lethal form of "evil people".

Many many of us eat meat, and even though it is nicer not to see the crittur that died for our meal, I think that if we ARE going to eat meat, then it behooves us to know just what really happens to an animal that is butchered for food...

I helped C Geer shoot some goats, and then butcher them, and it was an education for me that I am thankful that I had...

I have to agree with my pal Johhny here. I'm a city gal who used to visit my grandparent's farm. They slaughtered stuff, and then we ate it. No big deal. And all my uncles hunted, and we ate what they killed, etc. I guess it just depends on how you grow up, and what you get exposed to.

But I have to admit, chickens are gross. but at least they don't scream like rabbits do. Gawd, I grew up totally uncivilized......

I agree with what Johnny JumpUp says.

I remember, in the corps, it took me a couple of days to "accept" sacrificing one of our younger corps girls for PassUnder. As I posted in the 9th corps section, "I'll follow the man of god, wherever he wants to go..."

Why does the name "GOZER" come to mind?? (Hint: Who ya gonna call?)

quote:
Originally posted by ex10:

But I have to admit, chickens are gross. but at least they don't scream like rabbits do. Gawd, I grew up totally uncivilized......

How about lobsters? People say they scream. I have never heard one scream. If they do they are still yummy with a glass of champaign smile.gif:)-->

• 2 weeks later...

At Emporia a groups composed of some of us 8th corps and some C. of E. students spent lots of spare time learning and rehearsing a song and dance routine to "Joyfulness" over a month or so , but we never fully completed or performed it. One of the problems is that we four men were getting our steps down pat quickly, but the women were having lots of problems.

Maybe I ought to try one of those step dance machines.

My wife, of the Seventh Corps, tells a funny tale that occurred during one of the meal times there.

Apparently, Ann Marie (O'Reilly) Romaine, and some other gals put together a trio or quartet where they sang in sweet harmonies for the Corps, College Div, and staff there at The Big E (Emporia). They sang at meal times and I guess for some of the meetings.

Well, the boys, not to be outdone, put together their own little vocal group. According to her, Jeff Pittinger, and a couple or few others, began to practice some songs. One day, during a meal, somebody got on the microphone and said something to the effect of; "Ladys and Gentlemen, normally we hear songs from "Quiet Seas, but today we present to you the awesome male vocal group known as "TIDAL WAVE!"

And Jeff Pittinger and Company came out and started singing some cool song or another. And apparently it was hillarious as well as excellent!

Now surely some of you Seventh Corps folk out there remember who else was in that illustrious group? Could it be that this may have been the "not so humble beginnings" of one of my very favorite Way Bands, "The Redemptions"? Man, I'll tell you, I just loved The Redemptions! They were fabulous! "Get Ready Cuz Here He Comes!" "My God", red crushed velvet suits, and etc.

Anyway, my wife, Mrs. Lingo, remembers "Tidal Wave's" first introduction as one of her favorite "Priceless Corps Moments"....

• 4 years later...

Bumping this thread, because it looked like good fun. Perhaps new Cafe arrivals from earlier Corps could add fun recollections.

Like Scout on post 128, under the LCM reign, good times were few and far between. You earlier Corps seem to have had so much fun. You were better "educated" too, at least some semblance of it: before all the people with knowledge had been run off.