GreaseSpot Cafe

Priceless Corps Moments

tomtuttle

Moments I enjoyed:

• First week of first year: potatoes had been lifted out of the ground on some field near the hen house. We were all invited to volunteer for work picking up the potatoes. We new recruits soon found that volunteer meant do it anyway. But it was one of those lovely golden evenings and it was soooo nice being out in the field. (Cleaning out the hen house during the same evening wasn't quite so much fun.)
  • Cleaning out Emporia (Euphoria, LOL!) ready for the auction. We worked hard. At least this work had purpose, unlike much "busy-work". The CC was very relaxed and we had some great evenings telling stories and roasting marshmallows.
  • Scrubbing dusty chairs outside Founders in readiness for the Rock - a brilliantly sunny day - just great for a water fight with the hose!

And this one:

• Swimming was banned after dark in the pond near the Wierwille household on the grounds it might disturb Mrs. W. Well, it was a really hot night and being the rebellious sort, I led a younger Corps friend into error by proposing a quiet swim. Nobody ever found out (confession time here!!!) and it was really lovely.

Not quite the same category as the early posts on this thread, hardly even "priceless" but memorable good times nonetheless.

In the fall of 1979, the corps women had a get together in the Wierwille home. We men decided to pull a raid and swipe the big plate of nchos we knew they would have. We couldn't have done it without the permission of Mrs. Wierwille (hubby was away at the time), who gave us permission with only the request to be careful and not break anything. And, we also had the inside help of a "traitor", Naomi Townsend. After the successful raid, several of the women found us while we were standing around munching on the nachos, and were shocked by the presence of Naomi standing and munching with us.

Later that fall, after hitching back to HQ alone from LEAD, arriving late on a saturday night, I pulled a solo rain on the pantry and filled myself, since I was starving. It's not like I took food that didn't belong to me, though. I founf a stash of tasty leftovers from Thanksgiving two days before that actually had been labelled to save for returning LEAD people. In fact, they never did give us that as a group, so I must have had some kind of revelation.

• Upvote 1

We had morning fellowship every day at 5:30AM in Fellow Laborers. All 50 of us met in the basement of one of the apartments for prayer, mannies and announcements. We sat cross-legged on the cold concrete floor and struggled just to appear to be awake after our usual 5 hours of sleep. (Hooded sweats were quite handy for disguising one's true state of awareness.) Immediately following the meeting, we jogged, en masse, "to the big tree and back" down a totally darkened rural road. There was a rather large drainage ditch that ran on either side of the two lane country road. One morning, on the way back from the tree, a rather high ranking member of the limb staff fell into a deep sleep, while jogging, ran about 100 feet and then ran straight into the ditch, as all those around him watched in disbelief. It took him several seconds to figure out where he was and what had happened.

• Upvote 1

Moments I enjoyed:

• First week of first year: potatoes had been lifted out of the ground on some field near the hen house. We were all invited to volunteer for work picking up the potatoes. We new recruits soon found that volunteer meant do it anyway. But it was one of those lovely golden evenings and it was soooo nice being out in the field. (Cleaning out the hen house during the same evening wasn't quite so much fun.)
  • Cleaning out Emporia (Euphoria, LOL!) ready for the auction. We worked hard. At least this work had purpose, unlike much "busy-work". The CC was very relaxed and we had some great evenings telling stories and roasting marshmallows.
  • Scrubbing dusty chairs outside Founders in readiness for the Rock - a brilliantly sunny day - just great for a water fight with the hose!

And this one:

• Swimming was banned after dark in the pond near the Wierwille household on the grounds it might disturb Mrs. W. Well, it was a really hot night and being the rebellious sort, I led a younger Corps friend into error by proposing a quiet swim. Nobody ever found out (confession time here!!!) and it was really lovely.

Not quite the same category as the early posts on this thread, hardly even "priceless" but memorable good times nonetheless.

This was a nice and sweet post. I think it is important to share good things we remember too. As for Mrs. W, I wonder if it would have really bothered her for people to awim at night or if others decided that for her. I saw a lot of that going on. Some legalistic person would resent others having fun and make up a rule in the name of someone. Just wondering.

I was "privvy" to this. It happened at lunch one day (in an outside tent). I was there to volunteer for camps. We were working very hard and actually it was very fun. I got close to the other volunteers. The CC and his wife at this location in my opinion were very egotistical, full of themselves and manipulating. But they were very popular, people seemed to worship them and hang on their every word. But I could see something strange and scary going on. There were people(and I never knew who they were) that would report to the cc's things other people said and did. The situations I knew of were exagerated. The wife of the CC once acted like she was getting revelation, when in truth someone had reported it to her. She was actually worse than the husband. I saw their kids misbehave and frequently be disrespectful. (Behavior that would not have been tolerated by anyone else.)

Well anyway, we were all in a flutter because the MOG was coming all the way from HQ. We worked very very hard to make everything perfect. That day at lunch, the CC got up to confront us. He didn't yell but he was so demeaning. He told us how terrible we had all done, the place was in a shambles, we were not believing, we were selfish, we did not know how to bless people and had really hurt the heart of the MOG who had come all that way to see us. He wouldn't be surprised if the MOG turned around and left because of how off we were. (This was the gist of it, I don't remember it word for word at this point.)

In the distance we could see this MOG coming towards the tent in a golf cart so he stopped talking. When this MOG came in he told everyone how glad he was to see us all, what a great job we had done, he was so proud of the location because of our hard work, he felt so loved and welcomed, he would not want to be any other place but where he was now. He then shared a funny story of how he had locked himself out of his cabin in the middle of the night and had fun hanging out with bless patrol because his wife could not hear him knocking on the door.

The CC sat there with a frozen smile on his face. I saw him for the deceitful and dishonest man he was. He was just trying to bully us and it backfired on him. I knew it wasn't the first time he had lied to manipulate and degrade people. I wonder if his wife had fed him that though, I wouldn't have put it past her. She was a piece of work in my opinion.

Point being-it was a priceless moment.

Edited by crystalclearblue