GreaseSpot Cafe

GreaseSpot Gems

Linda Z

How 'bout a thread for excellent GS one-liners? I so often see a phrase or a sentence here that succinctly says something so funny or so wise or so inspiring that I think it deserves to be quoted outside the thread it's in.

I've thought of doing this for months, but I saw one this morning that I'm gonna kick this off with:

From Yanagisawa, describing twi top dogs: "the half-mint eating, clove sucking aristocracy."

I loved that. What a vivid mind picture!

Anyone got more of these? I'm not looking for whole posts repeated here. Just single phrases or sentences that, in a few words, speak volumes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Linda!

There was one on the last GS. It was under VPW - Did he really invent the hook shot. I think the poster was HWY29

Something like this:

Yeah, he invented the hook shot, he was the first one to think of McDonald's, He saw it snow on a clear day, he plummeted to earth from planet Krypton and landed on a small farm in Ohio.

Anyone have access to the actual quote? It still makes me laugh.

Dot Matrix

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so very much, Linda Z

(Hot dry desert of Cleveland. That is a gem also!)

I was looking for a place for this by Psalmie from Greasespot I. I posted the whole "context" in Suzie's Kitchen in the Greasespot Gallery.

Whole thing, Suzie's Kitchen thread

So Suzie's kitchen is filled with nice recipies and helpful hints, and then along comes

quote:
:)Psalm One

HOW DO YOU COOK A ROAST BEAST???

well, um first, ya cook a whole pumkin and then ya rub it with Gingertea's cleaning cloth with lemon drops smeared all over it -- makes your house smell lovely.

(And i think if ya carve the pumpkin just right, it would make a great glass for all that Baileys) hic!

now as for the roast beast... well ya have to use Hope R's baby bottle brush to clean out all those nooks and crannys. DON'T ASK ME WHERE A ROASTBEASTS CRANNYS ARE!!!!

Soak the roastbeast in vinegar -- it will help it maintain it's color for years. Then Give it George Aar's beer.

Cook in cast iron cookware...cook for seven days, add the beans the last hour-- and drink a cup of kahlua--dump the rest in the pot. (WAIT! It's the other way around!)

And for that crunchy bottom, rub sugar on it when ya put it in the oven, use coffee grounds to get the smell off yer hands.

I think that's how it goes

For sure Greasespot Cafe has some great funny people.

I also noticed that one Greasespot denizen, 2life, is a Certified Laughter Leader. That's the nicest job I've ever seen.

For the good times Beer1.gif

Kit Soberangelkit.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Socks in "Christian Music" thread Christian Music thread

quote:
"Sincerity" was always one of those buzz-kill words that red flagged anyone's efforts as being sub-standard. I can picture Wayfers reading your words and thinking "but it's no guarantee for truth!" Yet, those people you saw were out, working hard, doing what they believed was right and at some personal expense to boot, not holed up in solitude enetertaining themselves like some Pharisees-on-bingo-night.

I always knew we would one day, "look back on all this and laugh," but I didn't know we would be looking at ourselves as ridiculous.

(At the time I thought we were really holy, not wholly holey.)

Glad I have the chance, again, to die free,

Kit Soberangelkit.gif

The course of the bubonic plague was turned by the concept of clean.

Some of the Greasespot computer wisemen have been posting some of their stuff to help us be more computer literate and, hopefully, keep our pcs going along more smoothly:

pc tips and tricks thread on Greasespot Cafe's pc forum.

Thank you so very much igotout, zixar et al,

Kit Soberangelkit.gif

The course of the bubonic plague was turned by the concept of clean.

"While they were talking about the Bible, why that was just fine. But when they stepped into the field of masterbation, well NOW they stepped into my field. Why I have dedicated my life to that field. I spent years doing nothing in my office BUT masterbating, spent hours and hours masterbating, day in and day out. Why I've forgotten more than they will ever even know about masterbating".

...Guess you had to be there.

Suz

• 3 months later...

Rottie posted this on the In Search of A Pet thread

quote:
You are so lucky you have a husband who loves dogs like that! You should see me and Nico. I have a single bed and we share. Me and my 100 lbs rottweiler. And she snores and farts. Who needs a husband?

Now, anyone that IS a huband or HAS a husband has to laugh at that one!

Dot Matrix

• 2 months later...

From our dear Adios:

"We have freedom of speach in this country. We don't have to tell our President we love him like those poor people in Iraq. Please try not to silence any voices, these are all the voices of the American people, this is why I love this country."

Bravo!

Linda Z