GreaseSpot Cafe

Holy Blood, Holy Grail

The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons took about two days each to read... great style the author has... (and I read them in the order you suggested to Ex10 HopeR)...

Now, I'm reading HB,HG... it's hard... all factual and historical... man, these guys bombard you with their data... but I'll get through it... it certainly is interesting...

anyone else read it? Wasway? did you read it?

She's the kind of a girl that makes the "News of the World" Yes you could say she was attractively built.

I'm only through about the first 100 pages or so and it's been all about The Knights Templar... I'm assuming that it will get into the others as well (just from what I read in The Da Vinci Code)

She's the kind of a girl that makes the "News of the World" Yes you could say she was attractively built.

Yes Tom, I read it a long time ago. I remember it being a difficult read and having to go back into the book several times to keep on track. But in the end I found it to be worth the effort..

I just picked up the DaVinci Code this morning over at half price books and will strart it after West Wing is over tonight.

dance.gifdance.gifdance.gifdance.gif

ship.gifw.gif

• 2 months later...

***oops, this is really Abigail, not 1000 Names***

Tom,

I'm reading it right now. I FINALLY got to his hypothesis. While I have no idea if he is correct or not, he does make some good arguments. He is very correct about how unusual it would have been for a man living during Jesus' time to not marry and have children. I also find the holy grail stuff very interesting, being an avid reader of all things King Arthur. icon_smile.gif:)-->

But it is a difficult read and I will probably have to read it again to get a better understanding of everything he is trying to say.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Just for a bit of total madness, I was at a conference the other day and the head of the Legal Dept of Random House UK was one of the speakers. There has been a court case in the UK where the authors of HB,HG are suing Dan Brown. The speaker told the delegates that Dan Brown and Lee Teabing and ... (sorry,what are their real names??) are, by a roundabout way and through multiple acquisitions, both published by Random House.

So in effect it has been RH suing RH for breach of copyright. All deny it was a publicity stunt.

Sorry, Tom,

but both "the Da Vinci Code"

AND "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"

are made up of whole cloth.

Here's the summary on the book and its ideas...

http://experts.about.com/e/h/ho/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail.htm

Here's from the wikipedia entry on it...

"The “Priory of Sion” which was listed as “fact” in Holy Blood Holy Grail, never actually existed.

Far from having a “history (that) spanned more than a millennium,” the Priory was a hoax created by an anti-Semitic French pretender to France’s throne, Pierre Plantard, a convicted con-man, in 1956.

As part of his hoax, Plantard had planted two sets of forged mediaeval documents: one in the French National Library, and another in the 1967 book Le Trésor Maudit de Rennes-le-Chateau. (For more details, see The Priory of Sion, Rennes-le-Chateau, and Pierre Plantard). The documents were taken as factual by the authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which led to many of the false claims in the book."

"In 2005, UK TV archaeologist Tony Robinson narrated a critical evaluation of the main arguments of Dan Brown and those of Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln, The Real Da Vinci Code, shown on Channel 4. The programme featured lengthy interviews with many of the main protagonists. Arnaud de Sède, son of Gérard de Sède, stated categorically that his father and Plantard had made up the existence of the Prieuré de Sion, and described the story as 'piffle.' The programme concluded that, in the opinion of the presenter and researchers, the claims of “Holy Blood” were based on little more than a series of guesses. The authors of the book itself have also backpedaled in recent interviews, claiming that they were only presenting a

'hypothesis.' "

Here's a lengthy review that addresses a number of points...

http://www.equip.org/free/DH028.htm

This one was in the NY Times originally...

http://www.cesnur.org/2004/davinci_nyt.htm

Here's a short, sweet, commonsense review...

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/b...115/book2.shtml

If you like, we can dig into the claims and how they originate from fiction.

• 4 months later...

The HB HG and Da Vinci Code are based on entirely fictional data. The books both make it appear as if it is real. Very faulty. It doesn't surpise me what was found in Wikipedia, though I find that source questionable a lot. But not this time.

The HB HG and Da Vinci Code are based on entirely fictional data. The books both make it appear as if it is real. Very faulty. It doesn't surpise me what was found in Wikipedia, though I find that source questionable a lot. But not this time.

That's why I included a bunch of links for those who wanted to look over some documentation.

I wouldn't have included the wiki information if I didn't own a FEW books that made the same points.