GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Cafe -- Names we're known by (and icons)

Kit Sober

What is this thread for?

For any information you'd like to give regarding who and why and what of your forum / chat name history (who you were on WayDale/Greasespot Cafe I), and why you have the icon you use.

Kit Sober

On WayDale and Greasespot Cafe (and other places) my forum name is my given name is Kit Sober

(I could never have made this name up, although I have been asked if it was a TWI made up name like Maggie Muggins and Snowball Pete.)

Kit was given to me by my dad. His mother was Kathryn, but everyone called her Kit. Dad thought I should be named what I was going to be called, Kit was it.

Sober was given to me by my husband, Fred Sober. He got the Sober name because his great grandparents, coming from Poland as Soberiewsky landed at Ellis Island and had their name cut short.

My Icon of Elvis is because I think Elvis was a kindhearted Christian who should have been prayed for by the body of Christ rather than insulted by mainstream Christianity. LCM especially vilely insulted him, and then Paul Allen of WayDale got the gif for me.

Also Gaither Productions did a Christian History music/video release of Elvis,"Love me Tender" and it appeared to me he was somewhat vindicated by that.

I use my given name so anyone who may be looking for me can find me.

Kit Sober angelkit.gif

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Originally, I was logging in under the name of Enkratea. As my path/beliefs in life changed, so did my screen name. I am now WolfSinger.

Yes, I used to raise wolves and it was my alpha male that taught me the joys of singing for the sheer pleasure of it. It is part of who and what I am.

My icons? They are the same ones I used as Enkratea, and still denote my personal style (why not have some fun in life?).

WolfSinger

acat.gif

Well I use mstar1 because it is my name....uh .well.. hmmm...because the "a" through "l" stars where all taken .. no thats not it either...Actaully the name of my stained glass studio is MorningStar, a carryover from my way days. -sorta biblical, sorta visionary, ok its sorta hokey, a good mental pic anyway..

Once upon a time I had visions of starting a website and all that hohum, so when I first went on line I chose mstar1 because MorningStar, and mstar were already taken. (MorningStar Ive later found out is some huge corporation and mstar is a hooker in LA). The website has never happened-don't hold your breath.

By the time I got to Waydale I had already been mstar1 for a few years so I was used to it by then.

As far as the icon, I didnt have one for a long time because I didnt feel like figuring it out (hence no website). When we got to this new place with the easy pick pics, I chose Van Goghs selfportrait because

1.) I liked the painting

2.) He was a misunderstood, tortured, formerly religious artist, a visionary who was years ahead of his time,who didnt fit in society-- just like me

(..well some of it might be true..) I havent cut off any ears yet.

3.) the portrait itself actually looks somewhat like me

"Zixar" was a mistake, actually.

When I first discovered Waydale, their forums were hosted by ezBoard, which stores your login ID in a cookie in your browser, and a global ezBoard ID is good for all ezBoard forums. I had picked the Zixar ID for some other site that apparently had an ezBoard forum too, so when I posted the first time at Waydale, it automatically logged me in as Zixar.

The name came from an old Dungeons & Dragons character I used to play. It was a bit of a lazy choice, the character previous who got killed was Fyvar, (5R), so 6R or Zixar followed. Yes, there was a Sevenar, too. But by that time I got involved with this cult thing, and, well...

Anyway, the name stuck and was easy to type, so that's the story. Well, it beats the heck out of "Reece", anyway...

The dive bomber icon is a new choice because fasteel duplicated my old one. Not that it particularly meant anything, I just figured it would be easier for me to change to avoid confusion.

God bless!

Zixar the Accidental

(Apparently "zixar" actually means something in Polish, because if you Google it, the word appears in a lot of sites with a ".pl" extension. Go figure.)

Edited by Guest

As many here know, my real name is Hope.

Many years ago I was in a conversation with a few co-workers about the movie Sleepless in Seattle and I was referred to as Hopeless in New York-

I said life was hard enough without a negative nicname-- he called me Hopeless a few times then started calling me Hopefull because it is more appropriate to my personality and because I would not respond when he called me Hopeless, LOL!

So I am used to being called Hopefull and when I found Waydale in late 1999 (or was it 1998- I can't remember!)it was a way to use my name but stay incognito for a time.

The kitty, well I have 2 playful felines named Max and Simon.

Thanks for asking, Kit Sober!

[This message was edited by Hopefull on July 31, 2002 at 11:17.]

[This message was edited by Hopefull on July 31, 2002 at 11:19.]

Edited by Guest

My handle…

I decided not to use my real name here because many people that come here have a strong disliking for someone else that has the same middle name as my first name…

I choose Zshot because it is one of my favorite types of shots to hit when I play racquetball.

My Icon…

I nice person here at GS sent me the icon and another nice person helped me put it up.

I started out as Herbal1 which seemed to confuse folks when they tried to whisper to me cuz the 1 sorta looks like an l. My choice of that nic was based on my beginning studies in holistic healing and reflected an area I wanted more knowledge of, herbal meds. As I looked into the field I got distracted tho by life and began to delve more deeply into the correlation between the mind and body and spirit rather than into herbology and hence never really did much studies in that field. I'd still like to look into it but as far as my lifes direction goes, I think I'd rather listen to someone like masterherbalist who has decades of experience and constant study to guide my choices rather than me. I;ve got enuf on my plate as it is...

I've morphed into several very odd characters from time to time, I won't say which ones they are cuz I may need them one day, but usually it reflected some sort of nonesense going on in chat and my pitiful attempt at making light of it.

HerbalMike on the other hand reflects a vague discomfort I had with posting anonymously. No real mystic moment here, I just felt it was time to speak my mind and put a real person behind the words while still maintaining a level of anonimity with the casual observer.

herbie the luv bug Mikey,

I was Amie Friend for a couple of years while I was still in TWI and had to post incognito. (I wonder if the WayGB knew that? Well, they do NOW!)

The night we got kicked out, I went into the chat room signed on as Amie Friend, told everyone to watch, and re-logged in as HopeRich. Now, this name is not because I am "rich in hope", but because my name is Hope Richeson. Works for me.

Unreal there are two "Hope's" here. I only knew one other in my TWI years, and it wasn't "FULL". Hey, if I could get her to post - think of how confused everyone would be!!!

Hope R. color>size>face>

P.S. I have also posted under my husband's name at times because he was logged into the computer! I have also posted for a couple of friends who, for various reasons, can not.

Edited by Guest

Shortly before leaving der Weg the bottom dropped out of my life. Every facet of my existence went sour.

I fled to spend time with a wonderful and trusted friend, and wanted to establish a new internet account there. Since I knew I would be rebuilding a new life and I wanted anonymity....I wanted to use "chrysalis" - you know... that thing between caterpillar and butterfly in some insect species. The name was taken...but I was determined, so I corrupted the spelling of it...and "krysilis" was sprung into being.

When I came upon Waydale, I used that name for a login...not expecting to stay very long....but I did stay around (who could resist). The subject of icons came up there one day, and I requested a butterfly to flutter by....and some wonderful person (who is still nameless) sent this butterfly to extwi, and he posted it for me...and so I am today.

In fact, as the balance of my life unfolds, I am more "krys" than my given name - and some folks who know my given name, use krys instead.

BTW - - if any of you know who the person is/was to donated my butterfly, will you please speak up? I would like to thank him/her. Looking at that icon has helped me focus on what I was and what I am becomming...and this individual deserves some kudos.

Kit,

I've been doing forums or as they used to be called.. bulletin boards since 1992. Back then there were few people with connections to the internet. Most folks used local BBS's or a nation wide dial up service. The biggest one back then was Prodigy but there were many others.. Compuserve, Delphi and one hardly anyone used or even knew about called America On Line. My how a few years makes such a difference in the computer world.

I used Prodigy Classic and they had great bulletin boards but they required you to use a first and last name. Wanting to use a pseudonym, I used the name Sudo Nim. Pretty clever, I thought but then it doesn't take a lot of cleverness on my part for me to think I'm just sooo cute. Hee-hee!

So I've used "Sudo" on all forums I've been on since. I've been an outie since about 1987 and have no family in, so anonymity is of no concern for me. My real name is Daniel Bowden which most old timers here already know but what the heck.. I'm used to using a 'handle' so I decided to stick with 'Sudo'.

I'd have one big hissy fit if I caught any of my kids giving out their real names or personal info on any internet forum or chat room so I have no problem with anyone's wanting to remain anonymous. I just don't worry about any kind of internet stalker bothering a soon to be 50 year old man.

sudo

I wanted to use a nic rather than my real name, but I wanted a hotmail address to match. I went to hotmail.com and tried a bunch of different names and nicknames until Righteous Brother worked. Then I came to WayDale and logged in as Righteous Brother. Lo and behold, no one had taken that moniker yet. So, there you go.

I am not a card carrying fan the Righteous Brothers, but I am a fan of that genre of music. So the name kinda sat well with me.

As for the icon, well, I like to golf. Maybe one day I can get together with "Golfie" for a round or two. I hear there are some pretty nice courses down around his way.

We left the Family Corps in the fall of 1997. I utterly enjoyed our times at the Indiana Campus. The training we received enabled us to handle the challenges we faced once we left. I'm thankful for that time. But I could never go back.

Anyways... for now I choose to remain anonymous. I'm not holding any big corporate secrets or anything like that, I just don't want my name spread all over the place. A lot of you already know me and respect my privacy as I do yours.

For those of you who don't know me, you can always click on my signature and we can talk off forum.

I stop by here pretty much every day to look around. Don't post a whole lot. ( Unless Ron hits a hot button ) Usually the point gets made without my intervention anyway so there is no need for me to add to it.

Great thread Kit. I look forward to reading it as it develops.

RB

I typed this when I was chinson:

I've explained my handle before....I have NO imagination. In college in 95, they assigned email addy's...mine was chinson...so when i signed onto Waydale...I signed on as chinson. My name is (as most of you know) Cindy Hinson (maiden name: Boydston)

When Waydale closed and GS opened...I kept chinson....why not??? I have since divorced, but kept my last name cuz I have four kids and it's just less hassle. I've toyed with changing my handle...but haven't found one that moves me yet. (i'm still lookin, tho i've been told to never change it by some GS pals!)

As for my icon....I don't think I've explained Tigger yet.

Tigger is one of a kind, he is himself with no excuses, yet he is also very positive, loving with his friends, direct with those who aren't his friends, and FULL of energy.

I admire Tigger...named my first car after him when I was 17....Tigger is a long-time love of mine...so I looked until I found an icon of him that fits my feelings regarding life.

Tigger bounces!!!!!

and if you know the tigger song....ya know it all!!!

If I DO change my handle...I'll make a huge production of it to salve my friends who like 'chinson'....ok???

New handle explained on page 7!

[

Edited by Cindy!

I am/was involved in a medieval reinactment society called the SCA, Society for Creative Anachronism. This is my persona that I take on at events or gatherings. I am 1500's upper class englishwoman. I got the name though from a romance novel and the pronunciation for megan(mee-gan) from the actress that played Anne in Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, the movies and tv series.

I am a cancer and therefore guided by the moon. So a solar eclipse is befitting, plus it just looks cool.

I did a project about the moon as a symbol for a mythology class that I took a year or so ago.

all the world is but a stage

I had asked my son to name a girl kitty I had got.

he said mary who is his baby sister name .

I said to confusing as who is who ?

he said how about mary jane?

mj for short.

ok.

A few years later I found out it was the popular name for pot. uuummm

welll I am still thinking about it maybe not sure could be. actualy probably.my son honestly.

so I can remember the name and who I am is why I used it

now everyone who knows us will know who I am.

do not know how to do a picture.

wish I did

I threw a dictionary up into the air. When it fell open I tossed a coin onto the open page where it came to rest on the word...

I have no idea what it was. As I walked up to read it, I tripped over the dictionary sending the coin flying, and the book fell closed when it landed across the room. Dang it!

So I stopped allowing random universal forces to control my cyber-destiny and picked "satori" because I like it.

I've offered other explanations in the past. But this one isn't true either.

Edited by Guest