GreaseSpot Cafe

There I Was

outandabout

Outandabout,

What a wonderful story!!!

I was so sad icon_frown.gif:(--> that it had to come to an end. Can you make some stuff up...please... we won't tell.. and heck we probably wouldn't know the difference anyhow!

Hey, I finally showed some of your pictures to my hubby tonight. He recognized you! He was 10th Corps.

Well, Outandabout...it has been a slice getting to know you and your story. Keep up the great story telling. You surely have a gift for it.

I hope someday we meet. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by outintexas:

Wow! I did not know most of this stuff. I was still in during all this, and would be for much longer. This period would become known within twi as the "fog years."

Yeah, so we heard. Interesting, hmmmm?

quote:
Hey, I finally showed some of your pictures to my hubby tonight. He recognized you! He was 10th Corps.

A la, Say hi to hubby! Hope we meet too someday. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Thanks for the excellent account of a really weird time.

I was in San Diego at that time and was very close with Cliff and Johanna. I moved to San Diego in October of '86, right when it was hitting the fan big time. I never knew Cliff when he was gung ho in the way, but watched him and Johanna gradually turn away. It was a long painful process for them, as it was for all of us. Cliff tried to maintain ex twi meetings for awhile, but it was clear it wasn't going to last. They were my best friends in the 3 years I lived in San Diego. After I moved to LA, their marriage ended, and they've both started new lives . Last I knew, Cliff was in the Chicago area, and Johanna remarried and lives near her family in the NW.

Actually I'm not sure if you would remember me, as we never really knew each other. I came to San Diego in the fall of '86, and was really on the fringe of the way by then. I became very close with Cliff and Johanna right as they were going through the process of leaving.

I last saw Johanna in '95, when she visited me in LA for a few days. She then moved back with her family, met a guy who had kids also, and remarried. I last talked to her about '98, then lost touch.

Johanna is wonderful, and she helped me through a very difficult time in San Diego. She has the biggest heart, and I used to love to just sit and talk with her. I'm missing her laugh as I type this.

icon_frown.gif:(--> It's over? It's really over?? icon_frown.gif:(-->

I've REALLY enjoyed reading it, especially because it has a very happy ending! And thanks to that happy ending, I've gotten to know you! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Thank you for sharing your story with us O&A! You really are an excellent writer.

..and this was the great fruit of PFAL and vic's ministry as evidenced in Txx(MoT, or is it MUTT) and Bxxx(Barq or is it BowWow) Lxxxx's lives and leader...., er, leadership???????? My God what a FREAKING TRAVESTY!! and I know there were plenty more just like 'em...almost make me think Galen is right, all the corps were as$holes, 'cept that far more of the kork got pushed around by the muckety-mucks than actually pushed others around...

..I may be wrong, but it make me feel like saying, "rot in Hell, T&B L*lly....... mad.gifmad.gificon_frown.gif:(-->

Outandabout-

You stated so very well many of the things I felt so many years ago as a single female Corps grad. The loneliness...the unsurety...knowing that if you tried to explain what you were going through to anyone that they would just tell you that you weren't believing and trusting God.

It was hell.

Thanks for sharing your story.

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Tom Strange. I wanted to reply but I also wanted to sink a bit and let others go to the top.

But I am adding this Update -- Happy ending not all that happy. Hubby and I are headed for counseling as soon as possible. That's all I want to share about that.

Meanwhile, I have acquired two new therapists - a very astute female Ph.D. and a seasoned, wise psychiatrist who specializes in mood disorders (bi-polar falling into that category.

These days it's not uncommon to have the talk therapy (i.e. the non M.D. counselors) and a psychiatrist for analysis of and monitoring of one's condition and to prescribe meds.

The psychiatrist told me at first session: no more drinking and it's meds for life. (Derr, that's makes sense!) I said ok, "I've had enough."

Why didn't I do that sooner? A combination of the therapists I have had and me, plus the deceptive nature of my bi-polar thing that has long "normal" periods in-between the episodes.

As for drinking, it adds "fuel to the fire." Fine with me to throw out the fuel.

I guess God just brings us where we need to be when we reach out to Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Outandabout, it was great to read your story. I was a WOW in Clarksdale, MS that year you were in Greenville. You do not know how much JT and i would look forward to seeing you when you came to visit. I still shudder when I think of that place (otherwise known as the armpit of the universe.) I don't really think much about that year.

I remember meeting your husband at the ROA in 1985. I also got married that summer and we will have made it 20 years this coming Wednesday. All the time I was in TWI all i ever wanted out of life was a husband, home and family. On days when my kids drive me nuts my husband just looks at me and says "I gave you what you always wanted!"

A lot of people "just disappeared" that year in MS. One of the WOWs in my group left - his girlfriend drove down and picked him up. The one guy who made it all year with us died the next year in an odd home accident. One of the WOWs down near the coast killed herself and it just seemed like people kind of "dropped like flies." Mississippi was a very rough place. I remember we had black friends (a very big nono in MS) and we once went to see one of them at the K-Mart where he worked. He was fired the next day. Every call after 10 pm and before 6 am was an obscene/threatening call so we learned not to answer the phone. No one (I mean NO ONE) came to twig. We actually ran one class of 1 - 2 (only because the limb leaders wanted to have at least one class). I could not wait to leave and on the way out of town I gave the place the bird and have never even traveled close to the place.

It was great to see your story. I hope things go well with you - you were always a breath of fresh air and had a novel way of looking at life.

ja47646

Out and About - You story is out of this world. Its my wish for you that life always gets better from this day on.

I'm sure we met before. Every year at the ROA the only job I was allowed to perform was trash. I am sure we threw some bags in the back of the truck together.

JA, I remember going to Clarksdale, and I loved visiting you guys. One year you gave me a birthday party, bacause I mentioned it before I came over, and you all threw it all together. It was the sweetest thing! You guys were great.

I remember the two females but not the other two very well. (sorry). It was 1982!

I was so impressed the way you guys did the whole town door to door. It inspired me to try it though I didn't get as far.

Thanks for reading my sto-wry.

Outandabout --- What can I say, where do I start??? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I just spent the last two hours reading this entire thread, from the first post on page one, to the last post on page 5. Your story is incredible!! To have survived so much, and still *come out swinging* is such an awesome thing. icon_cool.gif

I never went through any of that in twi, like you did. From what you've related, and endured -- shows me that the heart and *gumption* of a believer transcends whatever a *ministry* may suggest, or teach as *all-truth*.

Thank you sooo much, for your sharing. Good Gawd -- I knew things were screwed up back then, but never really how badly (from a first-hand perspective) -- until your account about trying to *do the Word*, and getting shot down by the very

*ministry* that promoted it icon_frown.gif:(-->

David

quote:
But I am adding this Update -- Happy ending not all that happy. Hubby and I are headed for counseling as soon as possible. That's all I want to share about that.

Am praying for the both of you. And that's all I want to share about that! icon_smile.gif:)-->

David