GreaseSpot Cafe

There I Was

outandabout

• 3 months later...

Outandabout,

Hello from Rochester! Yes some of us, for mysterious reasons have remained in sunny Rochester.

I remember you well and have fond memories of those years. I talk with your brother from time to

time and am so glad to hear about you and your family. My prayers are with you and yours. Thanks

for sharing. Hope to see you in chat.

JoAnn

Out & About...like the others thank you for your "story"..Like David M..I too never went thru anything close to what you expereinced...the funny thing about reading what you wrote was how awful FUNNY alot of this in looking back at it...what we were taught to think & poor dear you...following thru on it causeyou can't go any further than what you've been taught" all that B.S...there's aday coming that God almighty will reward you for your wonderful faithfulness..I sure applaud you dear one!

• 2 weeks later...
I was a WOW in Clarksdale, MS that year you were in Greenville. . . .

You do not know how much JT and i would look forward to seeing you when you came to visit. I still shudder when I think of that place (otherwise known as the armpit of the universe.) . . .

A lot of people "just disappeared" that year in MS. One of the WOWs in my group left - his girlfriend drove down and picked him up. . . .

The one guy who made it all year with us died the next year in an odd home accident. " ja47646

JA47646 - i read your post and suddenly remembered that I knew a guy when I was in NY state who went wow to Mississippi - and I think it was Clarksdale in the early '80s (may have been 1980 - the same year I went wow to arizona). He returned to NY after the WOW year & shared a house with a couple of other believers - all of them wow-vets. This guy died suddenly in a home accident around 1982 or '83. I remember him saying that Clarksdale, MS was not a very pleasant place to be, but he treasured his WOW family. He was a really nice pure-hearted guy, an unfortunate loss. That was so long ago . . .

per

Edited by Peruser

It's been a while since I stopped in...partly because of my late spring and summer drought...and partly because of my long time ago TWI departure...that is, the only part I can really identify with is near the beginning...that first 8th corps residence year. Now I can get out of my slightly selfish mode and add my prayers for the now and near future.

• 5 months later...

Out and About,

Thank you for your personal testimony of the tribulations endured while in twi.

I saw you repeatedly doing your best to serve God throughout your story, but never getting the credit you deserved.

You did an awesome job in describing it all and I am thankful for every word.

I'm sorry you went through so much hell, but thankful to God you found your way out.

• 4 weeks later...

What a story!!!!! I wish you well....My heart went out to you as well as my prayers. :cryhug_1_:

• 9 years later...

There I was. Sitting on the floor outside the cafeteria of a college campus waiting to apply for a job there. Next to me sat a young man named Steve and we began talking. Steve told me about a fellowship that he ran around campus and during the conversation I told him I might show up sometime.

To make a long story short, I eventually did show up a few months later, after bumping into Steve over and over and Steve asking me again and again, and Steve coincidentally moving in next door of all things.

I had been on a spiritual quest for years. I grew up in a home with an atheist scientist father and a mother who was probably Christian but one would never know. I have yet to know if I will see her at the Return.

When I was 20, before I got witnessed to, I had met a guy in my dorm who was into Yoga and I became entranced with the possibility that there was more to life than the physical realm. After all, I had lived the Existential despair for years of experiencing life as absurd, and then later finding that a group of philosophers had defined it already.

Starting with the Yoga guy, I eventually went on to: Astrology (I studied it and got my chart drawn up), The I Ching, and Zen Buddhism. I would go to visit the local medium. I took a Tarot Card class, and did Transcendental Meditation for two years, faithfully meditating my two sessions a day. One day I even put on a sari and chanted with some Hare Krishnas in the Student Union.

Dog is barking to get out of his crate. To be continued but don't know when.

• 2 months later...