GreaseSpot Cafe

A Poll to show Greasespot Cafe herbal / medical preferences

Kit Sober

You can't pick and choose!

Heath is work.

IMHO too many of us are lazy on the health building principles in what we eat, or how we do or don't exercise etc...and then, when there's a problem, expect a quick fix from the medical profession. Sometimes we get lucky and an occaisional antibiotic does the "trick".

I don't think that works most of the time. If most of us would put half as much effort into our health, and building healing in and squeezind disease out, we'd be better for it.

I'm not the one to speak as the voice of authority, though. What I did is not necessarily what I should have done. I know better now, but I still have years of necgect to negate...I wonder if it can be done!!!???

Mister P-Mosh:

"I do think that the natural way is the best means of prevention. I don't really believe in all the "shark eyeball, dandelion and poke berry" pills as a cure to cancer, the common cold, and depression. However, there is no question that getting enough vitamins and certain chemicals will help you be healthier."

All while exposure to many other chemicals will hurt you. I have seen a few men go down due to exposure to Cadmium, or lead, or radiation. Often times chemicals that are frequently used, will be harmful, but we just don?t know until many decades later.

I do tend to 'believe' in multi-vitamins (especially A, C, E), garlic and fresh vegetables.

On the other hand: Soy with all its phyto-estrogens, cows-milk with its hormones, fruits with their high levels of glucose, and red meat with what-ever (about the only red-meat I have eaten in years has been dolphin) in it.

I remember when HGB was sold in health stores and it wound up killing many people.

I'm not against using herbs or "natural" medicines, but I beleive you have to be careful as one poster says you don't just go around taking anything that comes along just cuz it says natural.

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... Dovey

Oh and Exxie, my daughter is a PA and assistant surgeon specializing in cardio-vascular deseases.

I usually go to her first cuz she is so intellegent and usually can give me a diagnoses or she will tell me what DR. to go to, as she knows the good ones from the bad or not so good ones in our community.

She saved my life once when I noticed that my heart was beating about 32 times a minute. She put me in a holter monitor and when she read the results found out that my heart was "pausing" over 900 times in a 24 hour period. I now have a pacemaker and my heart is beating just fine.

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... Dovey

Here's a selection of books that you might find interesting:

1. Back to Eden Jethro Kloss. This was recommended to me when I was.... You know where. It can be a difficult book to read, however, read it in sections. Kloss was raised on a farm. He was a contemporary of the Kellogg brothers.

2. Guide to Body Chemistry & Nutrition; Foods that Heal; Nature has a Remedy- all three books by Bernard Jensen. The great thing about these books is that they are an easy read.

3. The Food Revolution; Diet for a New America- both books by John Robbins (heir to Baskin Robbins). These books are a great overview of what has happened to our concept of food and how it is processed before it comes to the super market.

4. Nutrition & Physical Degeneration by Weston Price. This book is a little hard to find and the author, being a dentist, is not an easy read. However, the photos are very dramatic. In the 1920's & 1930's, Dr. Price went around the world visiting primitive populations and seeing the difference between traditional, nature-based diets and those that went civilized. This book, in 2000, was in its 14th printing.

A good, "get your feet wet" type learning experience is the School of Natural Healing's Be Your Own Doctor Course. It is well worth the money because it gives you a taste of simple remedies.

I have been asked about Nutritional Healing by Balch- it has some good information, but I would not rely solely on its information. Also Michael Murray, although from the nation's foremost botanical college, is also of the persuasion of inorganic treatments. I used to study homeopathy too, but thought that the Creator left us simply remedies and homeopathy was a little too difficult.

I mentioned more than two books so you could look for a variety.