GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

The band that did this song was once promoted as "Dodge City" while they were trying to get a record deal, because somebody thought their regular name wouldn't convince the record companies.            I once got them a little confused with Jethro Tull due to some record art resembling the latter group's style.

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The band that did this song was once promoted as "Dodge City" while they were trying to get a record deal, because somebody thought their regular name wouldn't convince the record companies.            I once got them a little confused with Jethro Tull due to some record art resembling the latter group's style.

Even more trivial, this song is often featured on one of my favorite TV shows (currently in its 15th season), as a pseudo-theme-song.

George

A know this one.  Song is in my head but its not coming to me.   "I can hear the voices say"............got it, Carry On Wayward Son, I'm thinking Kansas was the group.  Now whose the TV show in the 15th season, not sure.  Not Simpsons, not Supernatural, those are in their 30th and 20th something years respectively.  Cop show maybe.  CSI:  Crime Scent.  I don't know for sure.

Just now, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It is "Carry On, Wayward Son" by Kansas (AKA Dodge City?)

It is often used on the show "Supernatural."  It may seem as though it's been around 20 years, but it's only been 13.  (And it was almost cancelled after 5!)

George

I had it in my mind for some reason that Supernatural had been around for 19 years now and still going.  I like it was a trivia question that I obviously got the answer wrong.

New song:

Well, so 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
Because you look so fine
And I really wanna make you mine

I say you look so fine
That I really wanna make you mine

Oh, 4, 5, 6 c'mon and get your kicks
Now you don't need that money
With a face like that, do you honey

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This one seems VERY familiar.  In fact, I think the lines were more spoken than sung.  But the rest of the song isn't coming to me.

George

I'm surprised you both know this one.

Another spoken line in this song is "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" , and this song is by Jet. which is almost a 1-hit wonder.

15 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I'm surprised you both know this one.

Another spoken line in this song is "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" , and this song is by Jet. which is almost a 1-hit wonder.

This is the kind of songs I listen to most days if I am out and I have the tunes on.  I like Alternative.  Nirvana, Weezer, Cake, Pearl Jam, Jack White.  Unless I want to listen to rock n' roll or classic rock (that's called the oldies today) I listen to Alternative rock.  I  been listening to Alternative rock for almost 30 years so I know most of the songs that are from that period and the new songs that are around.  Like rock n' roll when it comes to harder rock sound like Alternative I like the older stuff more than the recent stuff.

WordWolf your up.

Those are some bands I listen to from time to time, but I didn't expect GSC'ers to join me there.  :)        BTW, I think of "oldies" as more "Les Brown and His Band of Renown" and other things predating Sinatra.  Then again, Mrs Wolf is a Sinatra fan, so that does shape my view somewhat.  As a Marx Brothers fan, I do acknowledge that some old-time stuff stands the test of time very well, whether music, or movies, or books,  and so on.     I tend to think I listen to anything between Norah Jones and Rob Zombie, with "I can make out the lyrics" as a hard rule for the hardest stuff, which is how RZ makes it in.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"I can make out the lyrics" as a hard rule for the hardest stuff, which is how RZ makes it in.

That always been a hard fast rule with me too.  If I can't understand what they're saying whoever they are, I tent to loose interest pretty fast.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, next one.

"He sure is hip, ain't he?
Like what's happening?
He's too much
Ride, Daddy, ride."

That's not enough to have anything click for me WW.

"The cats don't bug him cuz they know bettah,

Cuz he's a mean motah scootah and a bad go-gettah."

"He's the toughest man there is alive.
Wearin' clothes from a wildcat's hide."

"He sure is hip, ain't he?
Like what's happening?
He's too much.
Ride, Daddy, ride."

"Hi-yo dinosawruh.
Ride, Daddy, ride
Get 'em, man.
Like--hipsville."

11 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

It sounds like it is a song about some legend.  David Crockett or somebody else like that.  I have no idea but I probably have heard it before.

Yes it was- one who rode a dinosaur and wore wildcat- hide.     Davy Crockett might have been said to do the latter, but not the former.

When he got tired of dancing alone, he'd look in the mirror: "Gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman".

He looked up at her and said: "Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me! "

George

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Sounds kinda like James Brown, but that's all I have so far.

Not even close.

Let's take the average cave man at home, listening to his stereo.
Sometimes he'd get up, try to do his thing.
He'd begin to move, something like this,
"Dance...dance".

When he got tired of dancing alone, he'd look in the mirror: "Gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a woman".

He looked up at her and said: "Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me! "

George

Gitarzan was by Ray Stevens.  And this isn't it.  Here's the whole song, with the title edited out, whenever it appears.:

What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time
When the only people that existed were [EDIT] ...cave men...
Cave women...Neanderthal...[EDIT]. Let's take the average
Cave man at home, listening to his stereo. Sometimes he'd get up
Try to do his thing. He'd begin to move, something like this:
"Dance...dance". When he got tired of dancing alone, he'd look
In the mirror: "Gotta find a woman gotta find a woman gotta find a
Woman gotta find a woman". He'd go down to the lake where all the
Woman would be swimming or washing clothes or something. He'd look
He'd grab her by the hair. You can't do that today, fellas, cause
It might come off. You'd have a piece of hair in your hand and she'd
Be swimming away from you (ha-ha). This one woman just lay there
Wet and frightened. He said: "Move...move". She got up. She was a
Big woman. BIG woman. Her name was Bertha. Bertha Butt. She was one
Of the Butt sisters. He didn't care. He looked up at her and said:
"Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me
Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me!". She looked down on him
She was ready to crush him, but she began to like him. She said
(falsetto):
"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy". He said: "Wha?". She said (falsetto):
"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy". You know what he said? He started it way
Back then. I wouldn't lie to you. When she said (falsetto)
"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy" he said "Right on! Right on! Hotpants!
Hotpants! Ugh...ugh...ugh"

You don't need the artist's name, just the title.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge