GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

I could fill the lines in between with the chorus and the song title in them but I'll just reveal this.

Artist is ~Elton John~ and the 11:07 song is the opening track from his double album "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" .  Titled Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding the first part of it,  some five minutes is an instrumental until it breaks through with Love Lies Bleeding.  I still feel this track has one of the most powerful intros in rock n' roll music.  Amazing musician and artist is Elton John and as amazing also is his lyricist Bernie Taupin who writes all of his songs.  I'm sure both you guys know the song now.  I'll post another in a while.

Edited by Human without the bean

The papers said Ed always played from the heart
He got an agent and a roadie named Bart
They made a record and it went in the charts
The sky was the limit

His leather jacket had chains that would jingle
They both met movie stars, partied and mingled
Their A&R man said "I don't hear a single"

"Don't know what's coming tomorrow
Maybe it's trouble and sorrow
But we'll travel the road sharin' our load"

"Through all kinds of weather.
What if the sky should fall?
Just as long as we're together
It doesn't matter at all.

When they've all had their quarrels and parted
We'll be the same as we started."

35 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I think it's "Side by Side."  It's an old standard, so just about anybody could have sung it.  Let's try Dean Martin.

George

For a moment, I thought you were going to refuse to give an artist's name, thus posting an incomplete answer. 

This IS "Side By Side."  Dean Martin IS one of the artists.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Really don't mind if you sit this one out
My word's but a whisper your deafness a shout
I may make you feel but I can't make you think
Your sperm's in the gutter your love's in the sink

George

Your wise men don't know how it feels

to be THICK AS A BRICK.

-Jethro Tull (or Ian Anderson post-Tull.)

Ok, storytelling time.   Some people thought of "Aqualung" as a concept album, which it wasn't, so their next album WAS one.  "Thick As A Brick."  The version of the title song everybody knows is the radio cut, which is the usual length of a song.  The album cut was one side of the album, which just gets rolling as the radio cut ends.

One of the things in the album is the cover, with a newspaper showing an article on a local child, Gerald Bostock.   Decades later, Ian Anderson recorded "Thick As A Brick 2".  a concept album whose cover asked "Whatever happened to Gerald Bostock?"   In the album, we don't find out definitively what happened to him.  Several possibilities are offered, and different songs explore different paths his life may have taken,  after tragedies, or just living a normal life.  My one objection is that Gerald never seems to have a happy life, if the songs are to be believed.  All his possibilities look unhappy, either in a small way or in a large way.   I don't like the implication that people living normal lives can't be happy because I don't believe it... to say nothing of how he never catches a break.

Anyway, I was discussing possible parallel lives, alternate turning of the wheel, and then logged in to be reminded of that.  Funny how that happens, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Pina Colada  Is his name Paul Young?

This IS "Escape (the Piña Colada Song)." 

I can't find "Paul Young" singing it, it was by Rupert Holmes and covered by others.  However, since you got the title so quickly, I'll let that go.

Your turn!