GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

As long as they don't have Young's screechy voice, I'm okay with them.

There are different songs:

• Some I've never heard or heard of;
  • Some I've heard of but not heard.  If they're VERY famous, I might get them
  • Some I've heard, but never paid much attention to the lyrics.  There may be a repeated phrase that I remember.  (That's where "Our House" fits in.)
  • Some I know pretty well, but can't quite "hear" them.  That usually means I can't name the title or the performer.
  • Some I know the lyrics and the title but can't remember the performer.  That happens a lot with 70s songs.  I often couldn't tell you if it was "America" or "The Eagles," or "Earth, Wind, and Fire," or...
  • Then there are those that I know very well.  Usually 60s tunes, some 50s and some 70s.
  • Anything after the early 80s is a cr-pshoot.

George

I recognized "Our House" from the chorus there, but never knew it was CSN.   I'm not bad at some 70s tunes, but I'm best with 80s tunes.   From the 90s, there's a number I can recognize, but after 2000, very little. 

With 60s tunes, I may know a few.   It's mostly in what got classic rock airplay in the decades following.

18 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

As long as they don't have Young's screechy voice, I'm okay with them.

After looking at the song again it was a CSNY song after all.  But I don't think Neil Young contributed to it at all because he isn't mentioned as a musician on Our House even though it was on the CSNY album "Deja Vu". 

You take Sally and I'll take Sue
And we're gonna rock away all of our blues

Come on (come on, let me show you where it's at)
Come on (come on, let me show you where it's at)
I wanna show you (come on, let me show you where it's at)

The last time I was down there they lost my shoes
They had some cat shoutin' the blues
The people was yellin' and shoutin' for more
And all they kept sayin' was-a "Go man, go"

George

I'm gonna leave this city
Got to get away
Got to get away
All this fussing and fighting
Man, you know I sure can't stay

Now baby, pack your leaving trunk
You know we've got to leave today

Edited by Human without the bean

I'm going, I'm going
Where the water tastes like wine
I'm going
Where the water tastes like wine
We can jump in the water
Stay drunk all the time

Got to get away
Got to get away
All this fussing and fighting
Man, you know I sure can't stay

Now baby, pack your leaving trunk
You know we've got to leave today
Just exactly where we're going I cannot say
But we might even leave the U.S.A.
'Cause there's a brand new game that I wanna play

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Since Human hasn't posted another...

You may think I'm fooling
For the foolish things I do
You may wonder how come I love you
When you get on my nerves like you do
Well baby, you know you bug me
There ain't no secret about that

George

This is "PNK CADILLAC."  I'm familiar with Bruce Springsteen's version (and bass line), but Tina Turner was someone else who did this song.

Benefit of Mr. Kite  ~Beatles~   Just checked out the album Sgt Pepper.  I didn't have the name of the song quite right.  It looks as though it is officially titled "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"  If I'm considered a cheater I will understand.   I will leave that up to WordWolf. 

Edited by Human without the bean

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Benefit of Mr. Kite  ~Beatles~   Just checked out the album Sgt Pepper.  I didn't have the name of the song quite right.  It looks as though it is officially titled "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"  If I'm considered a cheater I will understand.   I will leave that up to WordWolf. 

If you came up with  "Benefit of Mr Kite-  Beatles"  BEFORE looking anything up, then I find that was fair, so honestly, did you?       

BTW, I would have accepted that as the correct answer.

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

If you came up with  "Benefit of Mr Kite-  Beatles"  BEFORE looking anything up, then I find that was fair, so honestly, did you?       

BTW, I would have accepted that as the correct answer.

You're asking me if I cheated and looked it up WordWolf?  I've only heard the song a thousand times and knew it instantly.   So no, I looked it up on the album jacket AFTER my first post because something was telling me that the song title wasn't quite right.   I couldn't cheat and then pretend that it wouldn't matter.  We've played games here and I'm having fun. I enjoy it.  I don't cheat.  What's the point?   I like to think that a display of honesty is virtuous.  What do say we lighten this up and not be so serious?  OK.  My turn next.  Give me a few thanks.

Boys, boys, boys.  Don't make me come over there. :nono5:

Human, I'm pretty sure that WW was saying that he believed you guessed the right song and then looked up the title, which was fine.  It was you who suggested that that might be cheating.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever HEARD of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."  Was it just an album cut, or did it actually get airplay?  (If it didn't get airplay, then WW technically cheated.)  :wink2:

George