GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

I Get Knocked Down ?  Chubbawamba 

I don't know if it's the title or not.  I do know that I would have never got this (if I did) by the first lines

"Oh Danny boy don't cry for me" however.

Edited by Human without the bean

Close enough, Human!

The band IS "Chumbawumba." The official song title is "Tubthumping."

"Tubthumping" is a British slang expression somewhere for what happens in election campaigns- the candidate arrives and gets up to make his speech.  

The band's name came from  a strange dream one of them had. In the dream, men were called chumbas, and women were called wumbas. 

You clearly know the chorus ("I get knocked down, but I get up again, they ain't never gonna keep me down.")

Your turn, Human!

And let's not forget that "he drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a vodka drink

he's drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink".  I didn't know what Tubthumbing meant.  I figured it was getting too drunk to see or something.

Sorry.  There wasn't lots more lyrics to give.  Second verse like the first and then only the title was left with some lines.  "These Eyes" (are crying, These eyes have seen a lot of love but they are never going see another one like I had with you)  ~The Guess Who~

Last night, as I got home about a half past ten
There was the woman I thought I knew
In the arms of another man
I kept my cool, I ain't no fool
Let me tell ya what happened then

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Having Some Fun Tonight  ~Little Richard~

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did
And all this science
I don't understand"

Actually, the title was "Long Tall Sally."  But I'm easy.

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Actually, the title was "Long Tall Sally."  But I'm easy.

George

But that line is repeated in the song over and over right?  I only googled "having some fun tonight" after I posted to place Little Richard as the artist and briefly saw his name only that it's "having me some fun tonight" in the lyrics isn't it.  George, does everyone know how easy you are?  :biglaugh:

On 7/3/2021 at 12:08 AM, Human without the bean said:

Anyway, this is where it is at:

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did
And all this science
I don't understand"

i thought someone would pick up on this one by now so guess this will be a long long time.

2 hours ago, Raf said:

Rocketman

Elton John

Yes.

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

That's obviously a clue, but it isn't helping.  :confused:

George

Were you on a desert island while growing up George, one without power and electricity, no radio, no Walkman, no music, no contact with the outside world?  George, "And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week", or "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids" you could not have missed these lines from E.J.'s Rocket Man could you?  I hope you won't tell me that you've never heard of those lyrics before?    I'm astonished !

Hey George, don't take this post too personal, I have to make a little fun out of this, because I really can't believe it.

Edited by Human without the bean

I know the melody, but probably because the AM radio we had in my frat room wasn't particularly hi-def, I couldn't even tell you the words that follow "Rocketman" in the chorus.  I am better with some EJ songs (especially the covers); but I couldn't recite a line from "Tiny Dancer" or several other hits.  And I feel no less a man because of it.  :biglaugh:

George

If you'd marked that the "long long time" thing was part of the song, I might have gotten it.  I only know part of the lyrics of the song.  I remember something about the long, long time, and missing my wife,  and being as high as a kite, my friends, and zero hour 9am (I think.)      It's easy if you know the lyrics.

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I know the melody, but probably because the AM radio we had in my frat room wasn't particularly hi-def, I couldn't even tell you the words that follow "Rocketman" in the chorus.  I am better with some EJ songs (especially the covers); but I couldn't recite a line from "Tiny Dancer" or several other hits.  And I feel no less a man because of it.  :biglaugh:

George

From that song, I at least remember the line about Tony Danza.  "Hold me closer, Tony Danza!"  SOMETHING like that.  :)

You're welcome to make them as hard as you want (as long as you follow the rule that the song actually had reasonable airplay and isn't some obscure album cut), on this thread.  Of course, the point of Songs Remembered from One Line is to make them as easy as possible (which doesn't mean that we won't occasionally be stumped).  On the other hand, with only four of us playing, making it too difficult only brings the thread to a halt.

George