GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Vaguely familiar...

George

It shouldn't be that vague.  I'm pretty sure I've heard the song thousands of times.  And just to be clear, I am not living in a foreign country. I live on the West Coast of the United States.  I've heard this song three or four times a week for probably the last 2500.  Do the math, 4X 2500 = 10,000.

Edited by Human without the bean

Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think its a sin, yes

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

33 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I'm sorry. I know I'm out of turn - I've read the rules. But as a Southerner, on principle, I'm compelled to interject. The submitted answer is not accurate.

Indeed.  You are correct Nathan_Jr, I missed that WordWolf gave the name of the band wrong.  It is possible that The Allman Brothers recorded it also.  Good catch.  I'll let WordWolf clarify before we move on.

Edited by Human without the bean

23 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Indeed.  You are correct Nathan_Jr, WordWolf gave the name of the band wrong.  It is also possible that The Allman Brothers recorded it.  Good catch.  I'll let WordWolf clarify before we move on.

I don't believe it's possible they ever recorded it. I'd be astonished and humbled and even confused to find out they did.

Let's see if Word Wolf can get it right.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, Human without the bean said:

Indeed.  You are correct Nathan_Jr, I missed that WordWolf gave the name of the band wrong.  It is possible that The Allman Brothers recorded it also.  Good catch.  I'll let WordWolf clarify before we move on.

I found a few musicians who have covered "Sweet Home Alabama", accomplished artists.  I think both of them have received adequate air time on the radio thus, they would become alternatives to the original artist.    I believe that was an amendment to this thread although I wasn't able to find the actual post about this rule.  But having played for a while now, I know it is the rule or guideline.

Yes, Leonard Skinerd (or the band of his students)  initially recorded "Sweet Home Alabama." However, anyone who performed it is a legitimate answer for this thread.

So, acceptable answers would also be "Alabama"  (off of "Skynrd Frynds")  or the Allman Brothers (off of "Winning Combinations-The Allman Brothers and Lyrnyd Skynrd.")

Whew, that was a close one!

On 9/9/2022 at 2:02 AM, Nathan_Jr said:

I'm sorry. I know I'm out of turn - I've read the rules. But as a Southerner, on principle, I'm compelled to interject. The submitted answer is not accurate.

BTW, there's only  "out of turn" if you're posting a new song when it's someone else's turn to post a song.   Any discussion relevant to the songs is all appropriate. Hopefully it doesn't take over the thread, but sometimes it's neat to discuss a song or album for a moment before moving on.   And "the answer was incorrect" is important to post ASAP, particularly if the person whose turn it is said otherwise.

Say, Nathan?   Are you interested in taking my turn and posting the next song?  You would pick a song, not tell us what it is, and post part of the lyrics (probably looking it up online to make sure you had them correct.)   We would have to try to guess the correct title and artist without looking up either.

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

BTW, there's only  "out of turn" if you're posting a new song when it's someone else's turn to post a song.   Any discussion relevant to the songs is all appropriate. Hopefully it doesn't take over the thread, but sometimes it's neat to discuss a song or album for a moment before moving on.   And "the answer was incorrect" is important to post ASAP, particularly if the person whose turn it is said otherwise.

Say, Nathan?   Are you interested in taking my turn and posting the next song?  You would pick a song, not tell us what it is, and post part of the lyrics (probably looking it up online to make sure you had them correct.)   We would have to try to guess the correct title and artist without looking up either.

Note that any artist who performed the song (and actually had air time, not just some deep album cut) would be a correct answer, as long as those exact lyrics are in that artist's version.  Covers don't always have exactly the same lyrics.

Also, feel free to try "Songs Remembered from One Line."  The artist isn't required for the answer.

George

17 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok.

You say the hill's too steep to climb, chiding
You say you'd like to see me try climbing