GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

14 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Since none of us can name the song yet, please add more to the clue.  Another part of the song, or more of the same part, please. 

Sorry! I think I conflated this one with the one-liner game.

You say the hill's too steep to climb, chiding
You say you'd like to see me try climbing

You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb the hill in my own way Just wait awhile for the right day And as I rise above the tree line and the clouds I look down, hear the sound of the things you said today
Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd, smiling Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round, frowning
And who's the fool who wears the crown?
Go down in your own way And every day is the right day And as you rise above the fear lines in his brow You look down, hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart And you'll never walk alone You'll never walk alone Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart And you'll never walk alone You'll never walk alone  

29 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Sorry! I think I conflated this one with the one-liner game.

You say the hill's too steep to climb, chiding
You say you'd like to see me try climbing

You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb the hill in my own way Just wait awhile for the right day And as I rise above the tree line and the clouds I look down, hear the sound of the things you said today
Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd, smiling Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round, frowning
And who's the fool who wears the crown?
Go down in your own way And every day is the right day And as you rise above the fear lines in his brow You look down, hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart And you'll never walk alone You'll never walk alone Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart And you'll never walk alone You'll never walk alone  

Hint: 

Originally written, composed and recorded by this British band on their 6th album.

Not ringing a bell, sadly.

George

FYI, I'm in my mid-60s.  I believe Human is about my age, with Raf and WordWolf a few years younger.  My 'sweet spot" would be songs from about 1960 to 1980, though I know some other, later songs.  This is not to say that you shouldn't post any song you want (within the "must have had air time" rule); but the few players we have might not know more recent tunes.

33 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

George

FYI, I'm in my mid-60s.  I believe Human is about my age, with Raf and WordWolf a few years younger.  My 'sweet spot" would be songs from about 1960 to 1980, though I know some other, later songs.  This is not to say that you shouldn't post any song you want (within the "must have had air time" rule); but the few players we have might not know more recent tunes.

I suspected that was your sweet spot. I'm in my mid-40s. I"m a fan of your sweet spot. 

The record came out in 1971.

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

must have had air time

Though this song is regarded by many as the best song on the record and covered by many bands still to this day, it may not have ever received air time in the U.S. (I didn't consider this rule carefully enough.)

"Fearless", Meddle, Pink Floyd

Edited by Nathan_Jr

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

George

I may recognize songs through the 90s, and generally as far back as the 70s (unless it's really well known.)     A lot of songs I like, I can't post due to the "airplay" rule.   Unless you bought the album, you wouldn't know them.

I'm chiming in now after the fact and I like this song very much, however I would not have gotten it anyway.  I like the medley but I just didn't pay enough attention to the lyrics before.   Nathan you're still up if your want.  Good song, you stumped us.

53 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

"Just one more mornin'
I had to wake up with the blues
Pulled myself outta bed, yeah
Put on my walkin' shoes
Went up on the mountain
To see what I could see
The whole world was fallin'
Right down in front of me"

"Just one more mornin'
I had to wake up with the blues
Pulled myself out of bed, yeah
Put on my walkin' shoes
And went up on the mountain
To see what I could see
The whole world was fallin', right down in front of me

'Cause I've a hunger for the dreams I'll never see, yeah, baby
Ah, help me baby, or this will surely be the end of me, yeah

Pull myself together
Put on a new face
Climb down off the hilltop, baby
Get back in the race

'Cause I've a hunger for dreams I'll never see, yeah, babe
Lord, help me baby, or, this will surely be the end of me, yeah"

**I have no idea if this ever received commercial radio air play. Before my time. But I sure do love this era.

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I don't recognize this one, either.  Sorry.

George

I just don't think I'm good at this game. Trying to play to y'all's wheelhouse. And the radio air play rule will get me every time. I'm walking that tight rope between stupidly obvious and esoteric obscurity. My inclination will always be towards the latter, I suppose.

"Dreams", The Allman Brothers Band, The Allman Brithers Band, 1969

8 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I just don't think I'm good at this game. Trying to play to y'all's wheelhouse. And the radio air play rule will get me every time. I'm walking that tight rope between stupidly obvious and esoteric obscurity. My inclination will always be towards the latter, I suppose.

"Dreams", The Allman Brothers Band, The Allman Brithers Band, 1969

The airtime rule just gives everyone a chance.  I was a big fan of the Captain and Tennille.  Obviously, "Love Will Keep Us Together" would be well-known to all.  "Muskrat Love" and "Do It to Me One More Time" less so, but still not unreasonable.  "(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman" was a cover.  Most would guess Aretha Franklin as the artist, which would also be acceptable.  On the other hand, while I find "Broddy Bounce" adorable, I don't think it ever got airtime.  Unless you bought the LWKUT album (or heard C&T in concert), you probably never heard it.

George

Sometimes the oddest things can REMIND you of a song, but they won't give you a correct answer, for that matter.  "The VIking Kittens" may remind one of "the Immigrant Song" or "Fell In Love With a Girl", but neither song would count as "Viking Kittens" because neither was actually RECORDED with them, nor were they actually broadcast. A LOT of people have seen a video of one or the other online, but that's not the same thing.

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I hope we haven't scared him off...

George

Nope. Sorry.

Since important works in Psychedelic Rock from 1969 and 1971 don't resonate, I'm switching gears here.

Originally written and reordered in 2003, but is sounds much older than that, dare I say, timeless. Covered by many. Genre is Americana, though some would say Bluegrass.

"Oh me oh my oh, look at Miss Ohio She's a-running around with her rag-top down She says I want to do right but not right now
Gonna drive to Atlanta and live out this fantasy Running around with the rag-top down Yeah I want to do right but not right now
Had your arm around her shoulder, a regimental soldier An' mamma starts pushing that wedding gown Yeah you want to do right but not right now
Oh me oh my oh, would ya look at Miss Ohio She's a-runnin' around with the rag-top down She says I want to do right but not right now
I know all about it, so you don't have to shout it I'm gonna straighten it out somehow Yeah I want to do right but not right now
Oh me oh my oh, look at Miss Ohio She a-runnin' around with her rag-top down She says I want to do right , but not right now Oh I want to do right but not right now"
Edited by Nathan_Jr

18 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This actually does seem vaguely familiar.  Maybe I heard it on a country station.  (I grew up in the Midwest, but I've been in Texas 40 years.)

George

Miranda Lambert covered it. If it made the mainstream "country" station, it got there by her. She's pretty popular, right? 

3 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Nope. Sorry.

Since important works in Psychedelic Rock from 1969 and 1971 don't resonate, I'm switching gears here.

Originally written and reordered in 2003, but is sounds much older than that, dare I say, timeless. Covered by many. Genre is Americana, though some would say Bluegrass.

"Oh me oh my oh, look at Miss Ohio She's a-running around with her rag-top down She says I want to do right but not right now
Gonna drive to Atlanta and live out this fantasy Running around with the rag-top down Yeah I want to do right but not right now
Had your arm around her shoulder, a regimental soldier An' mamma starts pushing that wedding gown Yeah you want to do right but not right now
Oh me oh my oh, would ya look at Miss Ohio She's a-runnin' around with the rag-top down She says I want to do right but not right now
I know all about it, so you don't have to shout it I'm gonna straighten it out somehow Yeah I want to do right but not right now
Oh me oh my oh, look at Miss Ohio She a-runnin' around with her rag-top down She says I want to do right , but not right now Oh I want to do right but not right now"

This singer/songwriter won a Grammy in 2021 for best folk album, and she won a Grammy as producer for O Brother, Where Art Thou? in 2002.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Forcing it to fit all together - that’s the original work.

17 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I could probably name a few Grammy winners, but not any for a given year.  To be fair, I wouldn't do much better with Emmy or Oscar winners... :rolleyes:

George

"Look at Miss Ohio," Soul Journey, Gillian Welch, 2003  (Pronounced with a hard 'G')

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_Welch

I hope you'll check out Gillian Welch. Amazing voice, amazing writer.

Ok. Back to the early 1970's. After three courses of meat, here's your dessert...

"I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow 
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin' 
And I was out on the road late at night
I'd seen my pretty Alice in every head light 
Alice, Dallas Alice 

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari 
Tehachapi to Tonapah 
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made 
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed 
And if you give me weed, whites and wine 
And you show me a sign 
I'll be willin', to be movin'