GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Really, I don't have a clue but it feels like it has a beat like it could be a ~Foreigner~ song like "Juke Box Hero", even though it's not it".

Well, you're right it's not Foreigner.   IIRC, it was possibly the biggest hit of a solo artist, who was related to other artists, at least one of whom had at least 1 bigger hit.    Overall, it's not the most famous song I've ever done, but it's a really nice one, and it did get airplay, mainly in the 80s, IIRC.  It also appeared on a movie soundtrack. 

"The place was jammed, the music loud.
I could see her face standing out in the crowd
As she winked at me.
Feeling good, I didn't care
All I could see was her standing there.
See the crowd got up, the band was playing
And in my mind I could hear her saying, 'I love you'. 
She could have been from anywhere.
She could have had most anyone"

"When I met her folks there was no surprise- 
Had her old mans ways and her mothers eyes. 
Silver spoons, she had everything. 
She'd leave it all just to hear me sing. 
I say, the crowd got up, the band was playing 
And in my mind I could hear her saying, 'I love you.' 
She could have been from anywhere. 
She could have had most anything."

"I gotta find a way inside her lovely world.
 I gotta see the day when I can really be sure shell be my girl'.
Her royal blood didn't mean a thing, 
even though our first-born might be a king."

Edited by WordWolf

Ok, this was Ivan Neville's  "Not Just Another Girl".   It was on the soundtrack of "My Stepmother is an Alien", and got some airplay at the time.  I went out and bought the "cassingle" of it back when.

The Neville brothers had their own careers, and Aaron Neville arguably had a much bigger hit with Linda Ronstadt singing "Don't Know Much".

FREE POST!

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Suite Judy Blue Eyes, CS&N (sometimes Y)

** A timely song in the wake of David Crosby.

Yep.  Sad to hear about the passing of David Crosby.   There are still many great rockers who are still around in their 80's as he was.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:00 AM, Nathan_Jr said:

Come down off your throne

And leave your body alone

I can almost hear the singer in the song singing it.  It may take me a few days.  I may hear it on the radio.  You never know.

16 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

I can almost hear the singer in the song singing it.  It may take me a few days.  I may hear it on the radio.  You never know.

Sorry. Here’s some more…

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years
Somebody holds the key

9 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

I think it's Steve Winwood isn't it?  Or Traffic.  I'll hone it down in a bit and get back to this.

You're on the right track, but it's not Traffic. Here are the rest of the lyrics without the chorus. The chorus is the title.

"Come down off your throne and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years
Somebody holds the key

Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and..."

Okay well I was thinking "Something's (or Somebody's) Got To Change"?   I'm gonna step back from this now.  I need to hear more of the song (in my head first) to get it.  It might be Procol Harum.

Edited by Human without the bean

30 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Okay well I was thinking "Something's (or Somebody's) Got To Change"?   I'm gonna step back from this now.  I need to hear more of the song (in my head first) to get it.  It might be Procol Harum.

It’s not Procol Harum, but it is an English band. They only recorded one album. IMO it’s a near perfect album start to finish. 

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It’s not Procol Harum, but it is an English band. They only recorded one album. IMO it’s a near perfect album start to finish. 

The name of the group doesn't really matter yet.  Once I get the title I should know the group.

46 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

The name of the group doesn't really matter yet.  Once I get the title I should know the group.

I got the group now, Blind Faith and just need to come up with the title.     "Can't Find My Way Back Home"  They're not really in my wheelhouse, I knew of them because a couple of guys I knew had their album.  I remember the cover is all.  I took me awhile before I could hear the song in my brain but like most songs, if you've heard them enough usually the lyrics become clear in your head enough to recognize.

Edited by Human without the bean

4 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I got the group now, Blind Faith and just need to come up with the title.     "Can't Find My Way Back Home"  They're not really in my wheelhouse, I knew of them because a couple of guys I knew had their album.  I remember the cover is all.  I took me awhile before I could hear the song in my brain but like most songs, if you've heard them enough usually the lyrics become clear in your head enough to recognize.

You got it!