GreaseSpot Cafe

11th Corps

Dot Matrix

What I really need today is to hear the song Chariots of fire and watch two guys running through a lunchroom in slow motion, That would make my day complete.
You a sked for it, you got it...except it is just one guy running slowly to Chariots of Fire

I went on the second group of the year from Emporia our first year and then ou final year I went from Gunnison in November and got back just in time for thanksgiving.

I have always called it BLEAD outdoor academy because the staffing was so horrible every session someone came home having spilt some blood, There was always a broken arm, foot, leg, hand. neck, rib etc etc.

Looking back at the safety procedures they used for climbing were criminal. They were so unsafe I am surprised nobody was killed.

I went on the second group of the year from Emporia our first year and then ou final year I went from Gunnison in November and got back just in time for thanksgiving.

I have always called it BLEAD outdoor academy because the staffing was so horrible every session someone came home having spilt some blood, There was always a broken arm, foot, leg, hand. neck, rib etc etc.

Looking back at the safety procedures they used for climbing were criminal. They were so unsafe I am surprised nobody was killed.

OUt There - maybe you and I were in the same LEAD group.

And you may want to re-think that last sentence - there were casualties.....just not on the rocks..

You are absolutley right, my bad.

Since I make my living climbing I have always been appalled by the things they did at BLEAD. I told Kevin Smythe that things were wrong. Of course I got the worst BLEAD evaluation possible, Almost got me kicked out my final year. It's funny, If you questioned anything you were in danger of getting a sack supper and a ride out to Highway 75. I guess we had to be Corpse grads before we were allowed think and speak.

Safety was not something that was high on the list. I don't understand, what was the purpose of going to Tinnie?

I did love the opening speech when we got there - There is no Drugs , Tobacco or Sex at BLEAD - Damm, I was hoping for all three.

I did love the opening speech when we got there - There is no Drugs , Tobacco or Sex at BLEAD - Damm, I was hoping for all three.

It may not have been any safer but WHAT A WAY TO GO! :evildenk::biglaugh:

when was that? i went out, i think the last two weeks of october our first year. i know the group right after me had tons of snow. (we had great weather.)

Edited by sprawled out

when was that? i went out, i think the last two weeks of october our first year. i know the group right after me had tons of snow. (we had great weather.)

I think I went two groups after you. It didn't snow while we were on the mountain - but it did snow either while we were hitching there or back and making it through the pass was tough.

Looking back - we were crazy for doing that.

I went to Emporia the first block and then on to Gunnison for the second. AS soon as I got to Gunnison I was sent to BLEAD. It snowed hard on the way back we made it over the pass just before it was shut down. My hitching partner was Marsha Green - she was really cool to hitch with.

By the way. I spent my dou with a cow next to my shelter. I kept thinking of killing it and eating it but it seemed like alot of waste for one, maybe two Filet Mignons, and a rack of ribs.

Out There - I was at HQ first block and Gunnison the second - then in Emporia for the duration...sigh :unsure:

I wanted to go to Rome City but now that I've heard some of the stories - I am thankful I was never there.