GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

except for the smart ones like tommy strange and da rock :)

:)

Bill Ney, Sheila Toney, Mark Gagnon: where did they all go? I know about Sheila getting deprogrammed; funny how even though she was probably in a better place than we were, I still don't like the way she was forced to go there.

I hope they're okay.

Happy Graduation! :dance: I wore a peasant dress, and sported my first perm. Frizzy city. Looked awful; thought I looked cool. Waltzed across that stage like I knew what I was doing.

Corps weddings! That means some of our number are celebrating anniversaries this week! As for me and my house, it will be my anniversary of ironing some of your wedding dresses. Happy 26, everybody, whichever milestone you're toasting!

Ah, youth! I hope you are comforted by knowing you weren't alone in that youthful self-delusion!

I still think of Mark Gagnon... he's the one who taught me to "play" the trombone. Or rather to SOUND LIKE I'm playing the trombone.

mike and sheila were in my twig ... his ritual was to get sheila on the floor and dry hump her when we got together for twig LOL

then sheila was in WV when i was on my interim year ... she helped deprogram this young girl that had just started piffle ... they couldn't deprogram her I guess since I wasn't succesful in my programming yet ;)

i wonder if I started "By the Way" articles. I wrote a few to the editior locally and they were titled "By The Way". I sent them to HQ and they sent me back a bunch of HQ fluff ... and a VP letter (probably a secretary) about how great it was. When did those "By the Way" articles start by VP? I think I was plagerized ...

I also invented postits ...

i'm impressed

:) well, it was a small town, like 10,000 ... nature's air conditioned city .. free lemonade if it gets over 90.

They had a college though ... but they were probably hard up for news ... Just a couple hundred yards up the "holler" from the other WOW family was this family that had livestock running through the living room. You had to kick trash out of the way to walk through their living room.

Was all that really 28 years ago? WOW ...

VP and the hook shot LOL ...

that blessed me

a lot

HA ... well, maybe those WOW's helped that family ... any good done by WOWs then was on that level more than the "saving the US from a commie invasion by our believing" level ... which I think we "did" the same year.

But I do believe the 9th corps was the perfect corps ... :)

If we really want to impress the guests ... we should sing "Father Abraham" complete with arm gyrations :o

Good to hear you are out hiking NIKA ... were the firkins flying?

Some tomatoes are almost ripe now ....

What about that sweet corn?

the small patch of sweet corn is coming along ... a later bunch is tasselling ... the thirteen acres is looking good, up over 10 feet. The deer are pretty happy. I hated when they were eating it as little bite size morsels ... chomp ... next stalk ... chomp ... but I'll get back at them this fall :) We are in the 12 gauge correction phase ...

75 out now here ... beats those Arizona temps .. I see 108 right now ... but it is a dry heat.

the small patch of sweet corn is coming along ... a later bunch is tasselling ... the thirteen acres is looking good, up over 10 feet. The deer are pretty happy. I hated when they were eating it as little bite size morsels ... chomp ... next stalk ... chomp ... but I'll get back at them this fall :) We are in the 12 gauge correction phase ...

75 out now here ... beats those Arizona temps .. I see 108 right now ... but it is a dry heat.

115 at my house. In the shade, it's more or less tolerable. In the sun, not even. Of course, 95 here when you have to stay in the sun and away from the shade becomes intolerable.

On the plus side, the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (on whose reservation I actually live) just harvested some corn the other day... should be in the supermarkets this week at great prices... and they don't have deer pilfering the goods. Too close to the big city, way too hot, and no place to hide (no forests/woods bordering the crop fields).

So, you gonna have enough venison to feed all of us?

Yes, there were lots of flying firkins. We fed them peanuts to keep up the excitement. There were also marmots, and a rather large and quite agile bear . . .. We declined to feed it peanuts; things were exciting enough with the flying firkins.

My spellchecker thinks that "firkins" is mispelled. It must be of the world. Some townie wrote it, no doubt.

Wait - I'm a townie now. WOH.

:dance: This is to celebrate being a Townie.

wa-HOOOOOOOOO!

Bless Patrol, do you still read these things? This Townie says "hi."

Here's to the Bless Patrol: :beer: :beer:

:dance:

• 2 weeks later...
I do not know what these firkins are that you speak of... but I do know that sweetniKa is coming to Teeksuz in a few months... anyone else wish to join the fun?

We all had a great time last year...

And I hear that doojable is a PHENOMENAL cook! :dance:

Firkin: (n) small ground squirrels, genrally having two stripes down the back, infesting the former campus of the former Way College of Emporia, so named by former Corps Director (and honorary 9th Corps graduate) John A. Lynn. Taken from the verse in the Gospels about Jesus turning water into wine; refers to the size of the vessels in which the water was kept: "containing two or three firkins apiece."

And yes, I certainly am. Anybody else from Firkinville going to be there?

Edited by notinKansasanymore

"containing two or three firkins apiece."

I always wondered about that verse...VPW always talked about "mathematical exactness and scientific precision" in the Word,and 'two or three' just doesn't seem very precise to me...Maybe it depended on the size of the firkins,but then it should have said "containing two large or three small firkins apiece"...

firkin

n 1: a British unit of capacity equal to 9 imperial gallons

2: a small wooden keg

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Firkin \Fir"kin\, n. [From AS. fe['o]wer four (or an allied

word, perh. Dutch or Danish) + -kin. See Four.]

1. A varying measure of capacity, usually being the fourth

part of a barrel; specifically, a measure equal to nine

imperial gallons. [Eng.]

2. A small wooden vessel or cask of indeterminate size, --

used for butter, lard, etc. [u.S.]

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Firkin

Used only in John 2:6; the Attic amphora, equivalent to the

Hebrew bath (q.v.), a measure for liquids containing about 8 7/8

gallons.

That said, it's almost time to quit our jobs, load up the station wagons, tie the tents and extra bedding on top of the cars, and head to Ohio for the Rock of Ages . . ..

:biglaugh: :blink: :confused::biglaugh:

Daa-aaang, we were young.

firkin

n 1: a British unit of capacity equal to 9 imperial gallons

2: a small wooden keg

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Firkin \Fir"kin\, n. [From AS. fe['o]wer four (or an allied

word, perh. Dutch or Danish) + -kin. See Four.]

1. A varying measure of capacity, usually being the fourth

part of a barrel; specifically, a measure equal to nine

imperial gallons. [Eng.]

2. A small wooden vessel or cask of indeterminate size, --

used for butter, lard, etc. [u.S.]

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Firkin

Used only in John 2:6; the Attic amphora, equivalent to the

Hebrew bath (q.v.), a measure for liquids containing about 8 7/8

gallons.

That said, it's almost time to quit our jobs, load up the station wagons, tie the tents and extra bedding on top of the cars, and head to Ohio for the Rock of Ages . . ..

Daa-aaang, we were young.

So, make sure you have a coupla firkins of unleaded in the tank before you head east!

Yes, we WERE young... and doggone if we didn't have much more YOUTH back then (or at least youthfulness... as in "youth is wasted on the young!")

Very appropriate choice of smilies there niKa!

Edited by Rocky

Firkin: (n) small ground squirrels, genrally having two stripes down the back, infesting the former campus of the former Way College of Emporia, so named by former Corps Director (and honorary 9th Corps graduate) John A. Lynn. Taken from the verse in the Gospels about Jesus turning water into wine; refers to the size of the vessels in which the water was kept: "containing two or three firkins apiece."

How about those world-famous undefeated Sliding Firkins?

I happen to know one of the star players.