GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, Lifted Up! Sorry that I got the name wrong in the last post. Rocky had to PM me and clue me in that I'd replied to the wrong person. Ooooops.

Happy day, niKa

I don't mind, personally, getting mixed up with Rocky! Politically that may be different, though he may not know it since I don't get much into that field.

How about when you get the "Grandma" title???

I always thought it was interesting that women you couldn't get close to getting their ages out of will brag to no end about being a grandma.

Just thought about that, since today or tomorrow I may gain that title, with one minor obvious change.

I don't mind, personally, getting mixed up with Rocky! Politically that may be different, though he may not know it since I don't get much into that field.

How about when you get the "Grandma" title???

I always thought it was interesting that women you couldn't get close to getting their ages out of will brag to no end about being a grandma.

Just thought about that, since today or tomorrow I may gain that title, with one minor obvious change.

Being a grandpa just seems like it would be about the best thing in the world!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lifted: OH. I didn't know what gender you were, because I don't know who you are! If you want, you can send me a private message to spill your identity.

Here's a little story called . . . THE FLYING FIRKIN. This is absolutely true, and happened three days ago.

We were hiking along a narrow trail that had been cut into a steep mountainside. The mountainside was slippery shale in places, and ankle-high brown grass in other places. Suddenly, about thirty yards above me, up on the slope, there was a commotion. I looked up just in time to see a striped groundsquirrel (Firkin) bounding down the steep slope (wait - is he bounding, or is he out of control?). He was descending in a straight line, headed for the bottom (waaaaay down below) at a very fast rate, seeming to fly through the air at about six inches above the ground; every three feet or so, he'd touch down to steady himself. He crossed the path about a yard in front of me, and made it to some taller grass that was growing around the base of an aspen tree, maybe twenty yards below me. He somersaulted in a tiny, Firkin-sized perfect circle before crashing into the soft grass, therefore halting his manic descent. That was Evel Knievel Firkin, for sure.

His crossing so closely in front of me leads me to believe that he was out of control, and making the best of a bad situation. If so, he handled gravity with quite a bit of Firkin Finesse.

Love, niKa

Lifted, by the way: Contratulations on being a . . . Grandpa! I'll bet you'll be a great one!

• 4 weeks later...

BTW today is the 28th anniversary of our 9th Corps graduation. Whoppee!

Chuck reminded me of that today. It's easy to remember because our 28th wedding anniversary is the 16th.

Gongrats to you and Chuck on 28 years (tomorrow)! :)

It was one hundred and four degrees here today, and this was a pretty typical day for us, lately.

Maaa-aan. If it doesn't move, I'm watering it.

Tomatoes love the heat, though, and they're getting big and red.

Happy Summer, everybody!!

114 here... it's like walking (or running, or bikeriding or driving) through a convection oven. :)

• Upvote 1

Happy Anniversary to Words and Works and Mr. W&W, and all of the other 9th Corps Wedding couples!!!

Thanks to Mr.W&W for remembering that; it was not on my radar at all.

Wow - 28 years since we were unleashed upon the unsuspecting world? Weren't most of us younger than that then? We were such sweet babies.

And now, we're such sweet . . . grownups!!

Happy Graduation and Anniversary, everybody! You are some of the finest folks that it will ever be my privilege to know.

Wow - 28 years since we were unleashed upon the unsuspecting world? Weren't most of us younger than that then? We were such sweet babies.

Indeed, most, but not all... I certainly was younger than 28, 28 years ago.

:biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

Happy Anniversary to Words and Works and Mr. W&W, and all of the other 9th Corps Wedding couples!!!

Thanks to Mr.W&W for remembering that; it was not on my radar at all.

Happy Graduation and Anniversary, everybody! You are some of the finest folks that it will ever be my privilege to know.

niKa, Thanks for the sweet sentiments. It was a long time ago. It's nice to be in contact with you fine folks!

I think I am ready to tell someone, and since I've actually met a few of you and think so highly of our visits...

My son, Troy, passed away June 16, 2009. He was 27 and battled testicular cancer. He was Mini corps F-12. I am devasted...

Oh... (((((((Karmicdebt))))))), I'm SOOOOOO sorry. It is most understandable that you would feel that way.

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry I derailed the thread. We should talk about something else... How about the fact that my son, home from finishing his first year at University of Chicago, my 14 year old daughter, and my 11 year old son have hijacked the family room for the last 24 hours to watch "Christmas in July" on QVC. They definitely put life in perspective for me... That's not true they confuse the heck out of me, but I think they are so entertaining.

What about you? Ever watch/buy from QVC or the Home Shopping Channel?

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry I derailed the thread. We should talk about something else... How about the fact that my son, home from finishing his first year at University of Chicago, my 14 year old daughter, and my 11 year old son have hijacked the family room for the last 24 hours to watch "Christmas in July" on QVC. They definitely put life in perspective for me... That's not true they confuse the heck out of me, but I think they are so entertaining.

What about you? Ever watch/buy from QVC or the Home Shopping Channel?

Never have bought anything from QVC or HSN/C... what a wonderful bunch of kids you have there... and the oldest must be incredibly smart, going to the University of Chicago! :)

• Upvote 3

Karmic, you didn't derail. This kind of thing is what it's for; it's all of the threads of our lives, which come in many colors and textures.

QVC - I don't have a TV, but can sometimes be found rubbernecking great stuff on Ebay.

Chicago? I love that place! I was a WOW in Joliet for a year, back in the mid-70's. Mr.niKa post-doc'd there, several years before we met. At least one sweet 9th corps guy is there, too.

Do you ever visit the field museum there? Or find a wine bar and listen to jazz?

And I wrote your name on my hand, so that I'll see it today while doing laundry and the rest of the grunge work of life, to remember to think of you and pray for you. You're a wonderful lady.

And speaking of Cash for Clunkers (see, I told you it's impossible to derail),there is no longer a beat-up, gas-guzzling Wowmobile in the niKa driveway. There's an inexpensive, gets-great-gas-mileage, something-reliable-to-commute-to-the-new-job-mobile.

And because of the stimulus plan, we can deduct the state and local sales taxes on it.

Interesting week.

Wooo-hooooo!

Karmic, still thinking about you, Sweet Lady.

• Upvote 1

[quote name=notinKansasanymore' date='29 July 2009 - 11:15 AM' ti :eusa_clap: mestamp='1248891304' post='471939]

And speaking of Cash for Clunkers (see, I told you it's impossible to derail),there is no longer a beat-up, gas-guzzling Wowmobile in the niKa driveway. There's an inexpensive, gets-great-gas-mileage, something-reliable-to-commute-to-the-new-job-mobile.

And because of the stimulus plan, we can deduct the state and local sales taxes on it.

Interesting week.

Wooo-hooooo!

Karmic, still thinking about you, Sweet Lady.

WOO-HOO indeed! :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

smiley-happy032.gif

And Karmic, me too! smiley-hug008.gif

• Upvote 2