GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!! It is very inspiring. I teach developmental writing. My students include a guy pushing 60, who has foster children, a sweetheart of a lady who has great-grandchildren, for whom last week was her first week of college ever in her life, several former military and law enforcement, a bounty hunter, six deaf students (there are interpreters sitting next to me as I teach), and lots of traditional-age first-time college students. Lots of tatoos, every imaginable hue of person. Undiagnosed learning disabilities which kept some from being as successful in high school as they could have been. I.Q.'s all over the scale, including some very high. Many are holding down jobs and bringing up children, and going to school as well. Enrollment at this community college is up by 24% from this time last year. It's kind of like being a waitress at the lunch rush. I LOVE THIS. It's teaching folks who lost their jobs and are retooling to be competetive in the current economy. It's teaching people who need skills in order to get into the basic first year composition classes for college. This class is one of the gateways to their college educations, and to their futures.

This is the closest that I have felt to being a minister since I left TWI.

The very coolest thing about it is the lessons I am learning in courage and determination, from these students. They are amazing people. I am thankful for their good examples. I came for the job, but I'll stay for the students.

Funny thing, that's what everybody who works there says.

Anyway, sorry that I haven't had much time to post lately. I'm a bit overwhelmed for time. But it's very, very cool.

Love you, niKa

• Upvote 1

That's OK (about not having time to post), My post got to stay at the top for three weeks. Always good to hear about someone having a big reason to smileWe all want to be of value to others, and you certainly are.

Right on! (to both Lifted Up and niKa) :)

• Upvote 1

I read a story a couple days ago about someone; I think it may have been someone around here, who turned 99 on that date (9-9).

Years ago, I made a note on a Weather Service statement at Indianapolis that it was 77 degrees at 7 am on 7-7-77. Seven sevens.

That was right before I went into the 8th (not 7th) corps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Sweeties.

I hope you're having a wonderful Autumnal Equinox Evening.

We had a little rain today, as well as a nice brisk wind, the likes of which I haven't noticed in these parts for a few months. While we were sitting and talking this evening, Mr.niKa stopped in mid-sentence. He was staring out the window. "Those are leaves falling," he said, aghast. I couldn't believe it, but there they were, shaken loose by the breeze, tumbling away from the magnolia tree like big brown feathers. We were forced to admit that summer is ending. Fellowshipper, you are just coming into Spring, and we are happy for you.

May the Autumn hold interesting things for all of us. Happy September 21, 9th Corps.

And Honored Guests!

love, niKa

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Happy Halloween, Sweet Ones.

Life is jumping. We're remodelling a little house, to move into it. Classes are busy. I'm trying to learn how to get out from behind the lecturn and engage the students.

We have a home football game at the moment, so the kids all Trick-Or-Treated last night (the City Council wanted to avoid little ones competing for space in the streets with drunken football fans). Since we live three blocks from the stadium, we agreed with them! The weather was incredibly perfect. There were little Power Rangers and Fairy Princesses all over the place. Parents walked with their children; the streets were full of running, happy, squealing little ones. Folks called out, "Happy Halloween," as they passed one another on the streets in our neighborhood. I can't recall enjoying a Halloween this much since I've been a grownup.

I feel like having another Twix bar. Would you excuse me for a moment?

Love, niKa

Edited by notinKansasanymore
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just got shellacked by Texas Tech. I remember when we used to win all the time . . . it was fun . . . sigh.

But it's almost time to make my mother-in-law's yeast roll recipe, toss a big turkey into the oven, gather together, and give thanks. All of the kids will be here this year, as well as my husband's oldest, best good buddy, who lives on the other side of the world. I'm looking forward to it.

Happy pre-Thanksgiving to you all; I cherish knowing you.

love, niKa

• Upvote 1

We just got shellacked by Texas Tech. I remember when we used to win all the time . . . it was fun . . . sigh.

But it's almost time to make my mother-in-law's yeast roll recipe, toss a big turkey into the oven, gather together, and give thanks. All of the kids will be here this year, as well as my husband's oldest, best good buddy, who lives on the other side of the world. I'm looking forward to it.

Happy pre-Thanksgiving to you all; I cherish knowing you.

love, niKa

And we you... (I speak -- at least -- for myself). :)

• Upvote 1

Hi, Sweet Ones.

I hope that your Thanksgiving was pleasant. Our last guest was taken to the airport at 4:45 this morning; the last travelling neighbor returns sometime today, and tomorrow we are all back to school and work. Thoughts of exercise and calorie counts replace thoughts of rolls and gravy. It's time to finish the year, and roll on into the next one, God willing. I hope that your year ends with blessings.

Love, niKa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Happy May Day, everybody! Let's all put flowers in our hair, and dance.

Okay, well, then, let's all at least look at some flowers and shimmy.

:dance:

I have a some flower pics in an album on facebook... I don't seem to be able to post any here right now... please feel free to check them out there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Handed in grades and had graduation . . . almost finished for the "SUMMER"!!!!

Still have about a week's worth of work to do, but I can see the light shining around the edges . . ..

Do you see the light shining when the time to go back draws near?

Do you see the light shining when the time to go back draws near?

Lifted, that's a good question. I still feel drawn there, every day. That doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of not having to commute a total of an hour and a half every work day. I also really like being here at home to help with my children's end-of-school activities. It'll be great to have a family summer, but also great to get back to work in the Fall. Honestly, there's enough to catch up on here at home to make one wish that there were two summers!

The magnolias are blooming; that's always a grand time to be alive.

Little Bonnie Rowe died ! I can't believe it. Does anyone know why? First Siggie (Sigrid Sauter Tompary) and now Bonnie. These were two of my dearest friends from staff and now gone so unbelievably young

And thankyou nikie for starting a thread on frank/frances cardullo

i'm just really sad

i know we're getting older, but these people died so yougn-

• Upvote 1