GreaseSpot Cafe

7th Corps - The not-so "perfect" Corps

igotout

Nolongerlurking

I was in the same dorm as Dennis for a while. He was writing a book at the time, spent every waking moment on it so he could have it out by ROA that year. I forgot what it was called. It was interesting.

I lost touch with him long ago. Wonder how he is and what he is doing these days. HE really wanted top be a writer. If you find him tell him I said hi.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck & Margie 2003.

Don't they still look great? I would guess they have been married for going on 40 years, God bless em.

We were in Way Builders together.

Chuck&Margie2003.jpg

[This message was edited by igotout on March 25, 2003 at 20:08.]

Edited by igotout

They, like me, stayed in for years after the so-called "fog years" after the downfall years, in hopes of trying to help fix things.

Does anyone remember that Chuck was a master plumber? He was responsible for the vast hidden network of plumbing that was installed underground at the ROA grounds in 1978. I worked on that crew for a while. They did awesome work.

Ok - Cobalt. I will get their contact info for you. What part of Kansas do you live in. That was the windiest state I have ever been in. And those winters were brutal. I have lived here in FL for over 20 years so my blood is thin as they say.

You have no email in your profile. Email me via my address in profile, so I have a way to reach you.

Thanks,

John Richeson

Thanks, John. I'll email you. We're in NE Kansas, near Lawrence. Two days ago it was 78 degrees -- 2 weeks ago we had an ice storm! Tornadoes are next.

We're a little over an hour from Emporia. One of our kids goes to college at Emporia State University and it was wierd seeing Emporia again when we went for the freshman visit several years ago. We drove by the former TWI campus just to see what it looked like now. I seem to remember a day care and a couple of businesses. The church is still there. I haven't driven by the other times I've been in town. I'll be there this weekend but haven't decided if I'll drive by for a look.

Cobalt - thanks for the email. I'll answer soon. That's interesting about your child attending ESU. We used to go witnesing there once in a while. But I think they were getting kind of tired of The Way.

C'mon! Please go by Emporia and take some digital pictures and email them to me so we can see what that place looks like now. Don't forget to include Sonic if it is still there now. I'll post them here. Some of us may never get to see that place again. (Some may never want to, ha!)

Tell you husband I said hi. I remember you guys. Love to the family.

John R.

Oh, and watch out for those tornadoes. I always wanted to see one while out there but never got to.

Remember when we went the Way Texas Farm? Where was that place anyway? The drive was fantastic because of the beauty of those wide open Kansas spaces. I wish I had taken more pictures.

Edited by Guest

Cool web site - you've grown quite a business and should be very proud. You'll never get me up that high!! I got dizzy just climbing rock walls at LEAD...

I can't take pics on this trip to Emporia. I still don't have a digital camera so will have to borrow one for the next trip. But I'll try to get some pictures then to send to you. I don't remember a Sonic being there back in Corps days - sure you arn't talking about the Vista Drive-In? I think it's still there. I'll look when I drive by tonight - I leave after work. Some places that I know are still there are Graves Drugstore, Iowa Beef, Dolly Madison, and of course ESU - which, by the way, is a great school! My favorite place in Emporia now is a great quilt fabric shop but I don't imagine that means much to you icon_smile.gif:)-->

Yeah, Vista was the place where we soothed our craving for sweets.

Iowa Beef! Does it still smell so bad? I have a foggy memory about going on a tour of that place when we were in res. Not sure why. I guess they had to figure out something for us to do.

Is Emporia considered a college town because of ESU? I would guess it might be a quaint place to live and may have reasonable housing prices.

Click here:

http://www.emporia.com/index.html

http://www.emporia.edu/

http://www.lasr.net/leisure/kansas/lyon/emporia/

And here is Anderson Library still listed. (Click on Anderson Library under Emporia attractions).

It says "located on the former College of Emporia Campus"

They don't even want to mention the name of The Way. Ha!

But hell, we are the ones with all our workday hours in res who really refurbished that place from top to bottom.

"Your Abundant Sharing at Work"

http://www.lasr.net/leisure/kansas/lyon/em...ttractions.html

Edited by Guest

Okay, I've been to Emporia and back today. I did do a drive-by and here's what I saw. Uncle Harry Hall is now Burch Telecom. The dormitory that sat in the middle (I can't remember the name now) is Christian Day School complete with playground equipment. The church is now Bethel Baptist Church. And somewhere in one of the buildings is the National Teachers Hall of Fame. One of the links you provided mentions it - "Behind the NTHF is a park with a paved walking path that loops around a small pond." Wonder if that's the pond we swam in and the swans lived (Priscilla and Aquilla, I think). I didn't drive the circle because I wanted to get to the quilt shop before it closed icon_smile.gif:)-->

Yes, Emporia is a college town but not near so much as Lawrence where my son goes to KU. Of course, KU has over 20,000 students whereas ESU is much smaller - only about 6,000 I think. It doesn't cost near as much as KU either! But ESU is the only school in a 12 state region with a graduate program in library and information management so many grad students fly in from across the country for the program.

But Emporia is also very much a cow town with lots of pickup trucks and cowboy boots. One of my coworkers lived there for several years and commuted to our office. He complained about the lack of entertainment and having to travel to Lawrence or Kansas City for entertainment and decent shopping. That's one of the reasons my son transferred from ESU to KU - he thinks Emporia is way too boring!

I haven't noticed an Iowa Beef smell when I've been there so they must have done something about it. Gawd, that was awful, wasn't it? And yeah, I'm sure you're right that housing is cheaper. Up here by Lawrence the tax appraisal on our home has increased $45,000 since we bought it 11 years ago. And we sure haven't done that much renovation. We're out in the country and in recent years people started moving out of the city and building these unbelievable houses that have increased land values. Sorry for the economic lesson on NE Kansas. Anyway, we came back to our roots here in Kansas 18 years ago and haven't regretted it.

• 1 month later...

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

ohmygod where is john shreve now ?????

Hey ExaJesis, back in 1986, when the Great Exodus began, the eloquent Mr. Shreve, if my memory serves me, was working for the US Postal Service in Mesa, Arizona.

I have no idea if he still lives in Mesa, or works for the Post Office, but a quick search at http://www.ussearch.com shows 6 John Shreve's in Arizona, one in Mesa, and 3 others in the Phoenix area, 2 in Tucson.

If anyone knows his middle name or initial, that might help find, but obviously since no one has seen him, we hope everything is well with old friends.

quote:
Originally posted by igotout:

Thanks Cobalt. Your info enabled me to find this layout of The former Way "College" of Emporia campus. Click here:

http://www.bayareawindow.com/johnr/GreaseS...CampusToday.htm

Ahh, the memories I have of some of these buildings. Some good, some insane.

John R.

And John, your pictures are wonderful for bringing back memories and a feel for the 1970s and early 1980s.

Btw, wasn't the dorm that now houses the teachers' hall of fame once called "Owens Hall"?

I'm a little confused cause it has been a long time. But I think

Owens is now #6 Emporia Christion School.

Uncle Harry Hall is now #1 National Teachers

But I am not sure what #5 was.

Also notice how the circular drive cuts trough now and does not circle all way around to 12th Ave. anymore.

#4 is where we ate and laughed a lot and got yelled at a lot.

Something seems missing beside # 8? Or, perhaps # 8 is new.

John R.

Yes, #8 seems like it wasn't there before.

Missing is the old gymnasium that lacked heating when I was there. It would have been in the NE corner of the campus, further North than anything shown on the diagram.... I think.

The link below, if it works, is to a satelite photo, from mapquest.com

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?size=...o%2b%2bHw%3d%3d

Edited by Guest

That satellite photo is awesome, Rocky. I feel like a spy. It is an odd feeling to see that.

From the satellite photo everything appears the same. I can not tell if they have torn down that old Gymnasium building. But it looks like the circular drive is as it was when we were there, going all the way around.

#1 is Wierwille Library.

#6 is Owens

#5 is Uncle Harry

#8 is puzzling. Does not match the satellite photo at all. Turned the wrong way. It would have been the old Kipp Hall.

Next to that according the satellite photo is what we used to call Emporia Hall.

Can anyone see the pond? The maintenance shop and track still look intact.

Edited by Guest

Wow, all of this nostalgia about Emporia takes me back and makes me melancholy. I am not a 7th Corps grad, but my wife is. I paid "ten cows" for her. She had lots of good friends in the 7th Corps. Many who have posted here as a matter of fact. Hi Sunesis. I wish I could have gotten to know you better too. You were/are too cool...

Jonny Lingo