GreaseSpot Cafe

Family 10, 11, or 12

tonto

Hi Ploem, Tonto [my wife] and I were trying to remember way back then - unless any of the junior corps was around the same age as our son [4 through 6 years old] or happened to sit at our table - it's hard to remember...Anyway - welcome to Grease Spot, Ploem - I take it you're not a newbie - judging by your join-date so my hearty welcome is for your first post!

Edited by T-Bone

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the welcome. I just got back from vacation. My husband was recently on a business trip that took him to the Rome City area and he took some photos of the old campus for me. It brought back some memories. I am actually working on a PhD right now and am writing my dissertation on people's experiences with The Way. But I can assure you that I am here for personal reasons and that I am not studying or using anybody's comments here in any way. I just get curious about what people are up to because I lost track of all my friends after we were sent out into "the field." I still see a lot of my parents' old Way friends, but not my own.

I have seen a post on eBay for a two-night stay in the campus. I guess that some group is trying to make it into a pilgrimage site for Catholics because of a vision of the Virgin Mary a nun saw there. I remember when we lived there the kids all told a story about some crazy nun that haunted the place. I wonder if that's where that legend came from.

• 3 weeks later...

A picture off an old postcard of the Way College at Rome City :

WayCollegeRomeCityIndiana.jpg

Here's a picture of the junior corps - when we were in residence as Family 11

Family11JuniorCorps.jpg

Edited by T-Bone

• 6 months later...
Any of you folks out there? Seems that previous attempts were archived, so I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but here goes...Hello?<BR><BR>Tonto did the dirty work for free...

I was there in 87 and asked to leave in spring of 88. I had lots of good times there disrupting the "flow". It would later prove to be devastating to my decision making process but I am now "recovered" and doing well.

-Evan

p.s.I was in the 10th grade there. The "outsider" students at East Noble High were brutal to us wayfer kids

• 2 months later...
I was mini family 12. I was 6 when we went in in 1985. My mom is Vivian Eastman. She worked in the kitchen mostly.

i was mini 12 too, same age as you. my dad worked in the kitchen with your mom, they have pictures. my parents are still in, but my brothers and i are waaaaaaaaay out. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

If someone could repost the f11 junior corps picture that would mean the world to me.. both of my sisters would be in that photo.. I was mini corps F11 2nd and 3rd grade.. I remember in 85 when the challenger exploded my teacher ran in the room screaming the Russians were starting ww3 LMAO

Hi AJern,

When hubs gets back in town I'll have him post the junior corps picture and maybe more if I can find them. He'll probably put them in the gallery, and I can pm you when we get them in.

I think I worked housekeeping with your mom first block. Later that year I think your family was across the hall from ours. Were you friends with a boy who had the same first name as you? Were your sisters around 12 and 15?

I've enjoyed reading your posts and I'm glad you've built a life for yourself outside twi.

wow.. I was friends with quite a few Aarons, g*lm*re, p*tters&n, l&wis, I'm sure there were more possibly, but I remember I accidentally volunteered to change my name to "A.J" in school at that time, because the teacher didn't want to keep confusing all of us.. I despised the change truthfully, cause A.J was only reserved for my grandmother when she scolded me.

The age range you guessed for my sisters sounds pretty accurate.. I'm hoping I'm getting most of this right.. cause we originally began as F7 but because my PARENTS didn't possess strong enough believing they were unable to sustain tuition support :rolleyes:

AJern, log in and look in my gallery to see a few of my pictures at Rome City. The clarity on the pics isn't the greatest...the resizing seemed to garble the quality of the images. Anyway, the one of the junior corps is in there now if you want to check.

• 3 months later...

I came in after Evan Will*ams and his familyl left. Mark Dono*an and W*yne Clap* were the "bosses" then. Barbara Newbal*, Victor, Eric and his sister, Garrett and his sis. My sister was way young jr. corps. Gosh, it seems like everyone was so desperate to get out then. I started 9th grade there and didn't finish; I was asked to leave. Had a blast playing FC Robinhood....raiding the beer stash in the walk in and dispersing it to my homies!