Texas

Goey

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah... I hate it when I go to those other states and it's pig... ...

Tom Strange, shut your mouth! :nono5: Pulled Pork is da best!! Just for that, I'm going to see if I can't find a cheap ticket to come out there and teach y'all how awesome properly prepared pork can be. :biglaugh:

So, seriously, first week-end in November? Nov 4 or 5? Where am I to get a cheap ticket to? If'n Mama can get time off, I'll see if she wants to come, too. We've got Smith cousins all over Texas, so I could party with y'all one day and the cuz's another.

I can bring some muscadine wine, too!

... I'm going to see if I can't find a cheap ticket to come out there and teach y'all how awesome properly prepared pork can be. :biglaugh:

So, seriously, first week-end in November? Nov 4 or 5? Where am I to get a cheap ticket to?...I can bring some muscadine wine, too!

Wow - that would be great to meet you, Belle - but if it doesn't work out for you to make it - at least send the muscadine wine - - thanks! :)

Tom Strange, shut your mouth! :nono5: Pulled Pork is da best!! Just for that, I'm going to see if I can't find a cheap ticket to come out there and teach y'all how awesome properly prepared pork can be. :biglaugh:

So, seriously, first week-end in November? Nov 4 or 5? Where am I to get a cheap ticket to? If'n Mama can get time off, I'll see if she wants to come, too. We've got Smith cousins all over Texas, so I could party with y'all one day and the cuz's another.

I can bring some muscadine wine, too!

Sorry Belle... no piggie! (unless we're packing sandwiches for the drive home)... :biglaugh:

As for the wine... how are you going to bring it? Are you going to put a big prescription label on it so's you can carry it on? ...or are you going to put it in a "wineskin" and pack it away? I wouldn't risk it, although we all certainly appreciate the offer... we'll have plenty of Shiner and wine from the Hill Country there I'm sure...

OK, now ya'll are making me hungry!

Now you know that if Dmiller comes I do have to edumacate him in the proper way to prepare a pizza - so we will have to have second meal planned.

OOOOhhhh I might be able to put my hands on some fine Texas wine.

lemme see.....

spent my interim year in Lubbock. let's see that was 86-87. Ended up going LOA because of my experience there. No offense to the state but happiness was Lubbock Texas in my rear view mirror.

I didn't know that!!!! I was in Midland in during that time. I had a friend from the 17th corps in Lubbock. She would hav just gone in to rez in august 1986. I had roommates in Midland who moved up to Lubbock in 1987. I visited them. You will have to email me to see if we crossed paths there.

Tom Strange, shut your mouth! :nono5: Pulled Pork is da best!! Just for that,

I'm going to see if I can't find a cheap ticket to come out there and teach y'all how awesome properly prepared pork can be. :biglaugh:

Belle -- if you don't have beef, you DON'T have BBQ. Sorry, but that is a fact of life.

A pig roast is one thing -- but it is NOT a BBQ. Please don't confuse the two. :)

Don't get me wrong -- I like bacon, and ham -- but pigs just don't cut the mustard, to qualify for BBQ. :nono5:

Edited by dmiller

dmiller,

Anything you cook on a grill out west is called BBQing. :blink:

Technically (I've heard) -- that is called grilling.

BBQ requires the many hours of slow cooking aspect, that grilling doesn't have

(heard that there from a native Texan).

Now -- I'm not Texan -- I don't know these terms like you all do.

And in Indiana BBQing was done on the grill too.

Meebe I'm getting wrapped up in SEMANTICS (sorry Belle!) ;)

But even on the grill -- beef was the ticket, and pork was a no-no.

Pork belongs in Washington D.C. -- not the grill. :biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Actually the lateist thing in grilling is beer chickin.

You impale a chickin over an open can of beer with a special little rig.

Pretty dang good.

Me I just pull the grill out of the garage start the propane throw on 4 links of sausage and a few steaks with a lot of fat. After the fat gets going pretty good you can turn off the grill and the flame lasts a good 10 minates. Take it off the grill and eat. If it moo's just stab it with a fork and take another bite.

I think we really need to get a goat. I'll even skin it for you.

Cabrito? Well I just might have to look up some nice food to go with that.

Let us know - how much and where we can find one.

A whole Goat? We need a headcount!

Hey Goey - are you coming????? Someone tell Goey to find this thread.

Hi Folks,

By definition, barbequing is slow cooking at low fairly low temperatures (200 - 240 degrees F), with indirect heat, using either wood, charcoal or both for the heat source.

Sometimes grilling is mistakenly called barbequing, usually by unlearned backyard cooks. These are usually the same folks that smear grocery store "barbeque sauce" over a good piece of meat and then cook it over a too hot gas or charcoal grill until it is burned black and crusty, and then call it "barbeque". Gad !

Grilling is cooking directly over the heat source, using wood, charcoal or (God forbid) natural gas/propane for fuel. Steaks,burgers and chicken are usually grilled. You can barbeque chicken, but the meat ends up reddish in color and a some (ignorant) folks think this means it is not properly cooked, so you end up having to explain to them that it is the smoke that causes the red color not blood. Fish (catfish, snapper, salmon, redfish, flounder, tuna steaks etc.) can also be grilled. The trick to keeping it from falling apart is to quicky sear it in a skillet before putting in on the grill.

Just about any meat, (not just beef) can be "barbequed". Sorry David, but barbeque is not defined by the cooking of beef, even though beef brisket is my favorite. Some excellent barbeque is done with pork ribs or a pork butt. However, you are correct that roasting a pig over direct heat is not technically barbeque, even though it can be quite tasty.

Sometimes barbequing is errantly called "smoking". True smoking is done at temperatures below 130 degrees where the chemicals in the cool smoke "cook" meat instead of heat.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Edited by Goey

Hi Folks,

By definition, barbequing is slow cooking at low fairly low temperatures (200 - 240 degrees F), with indirect heat, using either wood, charcoal or both for the heat source.

Sometimes grilling is mistakenly called barbequing, usually by unlearned backyard cooks. These are usually the same folks that smear grocery store "barbeque sauce" over a good piece of meat and then cook it over a too hot gas or charcoal grill until it is burned black and crusty, and then call it "barbeque". Gad !

Grilling is cooking directly over the heat source, using wood, charcoal or (God forbid) natural gas/propane for fuel. Steaks,burgers and chicken are usually grilled. You can barbeque chicken, but the meat ends up reddish in color and a some (ignorant) folks think this means it is not properly cooked, so you end up having to explain to them that it is the smoke that causes the red color not blood. Fish (catfish, snapper, salmon, redfish, flounder, tuna steaks etc.) can also be grilled. The trick to keeping it from falling apart is to quicky sear it in a skillet before putting in on the grill.

Just about any meat, (not just beef) can be "barbequed". Sorry David, but barbeque is not defined by the cooking of beef, even though beef brisket is my favorite. Some excellent barbeque is done with pork ribs or a pork butt. However, you are correct that roasting a pig over direct heat is not technically barbeque, even though it can be quite tasty.

Sometimes barbequing is errantly called "smoking". True smoking is done at temperatures below 130 degrees where the chemicals in the cool smoke "cook" meat instead of heat.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

I'm vindicated!!!!! Thank you, Goey! :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Suda - I believe we are all heading to Ex 10's house. She has a group of friends that will help with a place to BBQ and such. I'm assuming that she will PM us info about exact location and other details.

I'm in charge of food with Tom Strange and whoever wants to help so I better know where we are going!

Say - Ex10 - can you post some more details?????

Yeah, we are on for my house, on November 4th. Suda come, Mom will be here!

When the date gets closer I will post directions, etc. If you need a place to stay, and don't wanna do the hotel thing, just let me know. We have tons of room, as do our fellowshippers.

Please come! Mom would love to see you guys, as would I!

Love

T