GreaseSpot Cafe

OHIO

wasway

I don't think Ted will mind my telling this but his mother was a hoot regarding that lion. They lived several miles away from where the lion was being spotted at and there was no wilderness path between them and that area but his mother was very concerned about that lion. When I would go over there she wanted to make sure I got safely in the car and was doubly concerned towards Ted. Bless his heart, hee hee hee. We had a ball messing with her about it.

I don't think Ted will mind my telling this but his mother was a hoot regarding that lion. They lived several miles away from where the lion was being spotted at and there was no wilderness path between them and that area but his mother was very concerned about that lion. When I would go over there she wanted to make sure I got safely in the car and was doubly concerned towards Ted. Bless his heart, hee hee hee. We had a ball messing with her about it.

:biglaugh:

I hear there is a "proper" way to holler at a possum that stuns it, so you can catch it for supper. What's the difference between a possom and a rat on steroids? Just wonderin'

Rats are rodents!

I don't mean that to sound like a personal slam, they just are.

Opossum, on the other hand, are marsupials.

You know, those critters that have a pouch where they keep their young'uns.

Their related to kangaroos and wallabies and wombats.

Now about this here hollerin' stuff.

I always heard you should holler at a 'possum to stay away from your supper.

If you saw some of the stuff they will eat, you definitely would think twice before tossing one in the stew pot.

No, actually, "holler" is a slang term for "hollow" which is a valley nestled into the hills.

It's used in this sense as a noun, not a verb.

(Had to throw that in on account of the "research" aspect of our backgrounds.)

There's also a place nearby known locally as Skunk Holler, though that is an unofficial name.

Here's some more local "speak".

Roastin' Ears---------That's corn that you put on the fire while it's still in the husk instead of cleaning and boiling it.

Yum,Yum---That there's good eatin'!

I'll take the roastin' ears any day over the possum stew.

Thanks for the biology lesson. They still look pretty darn similar! I met one (possum-probably a 6-pounder) while taking out the trash one night. Wished I'd had my Bersa at my hip. He gave me a nasty greeting!

Does possum taste like chicken?

I have never personally eaten 'possum but I suspect the answer to that would be relative to their diet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opossum Diet

Here is a list of some of the things that opossums will eat in the wild.

* All green and yellow vegetables

* Quantities of grass

* Most types of fruit

* Carrion

* Snails, slugs, and worms of all types

* Insects, flies, earwings and roaches etc.

* Rats and mice

* Snakes

* Amphibians

* Eggs

* Crayfish and other fish if available

* Cetain types of dog and cat food if left outside to feed someone's pets

* In captivity they like all kinds of juices

from---------------- www. squirrel-rehab.org

I actually can not stand possum. But then, I don't like rabbit or squirrel either most of the time, cause most of the time they are not cooked right and are greasy as heck.

Somthing that annoys me...there are signs down there now that say "Possom Hollow Road". It ain't hollow, it's holler. :)

Rick

Somthing that annoys me...there are signs down there now that say "Possom Hollow Road". It ain't hollow, it's holler. :)

Rick

Well, that's "Flatlanders" for ya.

HA!

Just happened to think about this------ People on the east side of the state, along THE river, don't say "y'all", they say, "y'ins".

What's up with that?

Well, growing up as a flatlander, I wouldn't have known the difference, either...

What does a valley look like? \_/

What does a holler look like? \/

Flip those upside and you'll see the difference between a hill and a ridge.

And you haven't lived until you've been in a car while the locals do what's called "ridge runnin'" which is driving way too fast on a narrow, winding, two-lane road that is reminiscent of a roller coaster, with the terrain going downhill on both sides of you, lol.

By the way, I have a friend who adores possums and has hand-raised ophans to re-release into the wild. I've watched her hand-feed them grapes and other bits of fruit. They are actually cute, until they open those long mouths and you see a solid row of very pointy, very sharp little teeth!!!

Possum Stew

two cans of tomato sauce

three cans of cooked tomatoes

1/2 thickly sliced warthog meat(mainly for flavor)

a big bag of pasta noodles (any redneck kind will do)

salt and pepper

1/2 possum (other 1/2 can be used for breakfast possum-omlettes)

Fry bacon in big gramma kettle, over mid. size fire, then fry possum in the grease till golden brown. Take the meat out, then add enough water to pot to fill 2/3 way and then boil noodles. Once cooked add both things of tomatoes to kettle and meat and add enough salt and pepper to old granny's taste. Cook all together for a bout 1 hour simmering over low fire to sautee.

So... when and where is this shindig that I've invited myself to?

It's gonna be next August...an hour drive from Columbus, Ohio...plenty of time for planning...

If you're looking forward to something that is close to a twi "night owl"...you need to adjust your thinking. This will be a free for all!...music, booze, food, any whatever else you may be inclined towards... :spy:

The more the merrier...

...more announcements to come...

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Well this sounds like fun. Can I invite myself too? I'll bring something. I have a friend in Lancaster, he's an artist, Dennis Kline. He used to paint the graphics on all of the metal gods guitars - pretty much every band from Motley Crue to Bon Jovi. I have him doing some guitar bodies for me.

Lancaster is Southeast of Columbogus.