GreaseSpot Cafe

ILLINOIS

TOMMYZ

ah Matilda- I remember the Mooncotches, pleasantly fine folks. You are right, Dawn did write some articles for the Way Mag. That first Illinois meeting was a great event. I have a program and napkin from it somewhere, and I still have a christmas tree candle Mrs. W gave me for coordinating the event. I think buried in my basement I have a reel to reel tape of most of the teachings and of the music. John Wynn recorded it all for us. Bo Reahard came to town two days beforehand and let us know that we needed to clean up the Way Home SERIOUSLY before hosting VPW there for a statewide TC meeting the first night. He worked side by side with us all night long doing it. I was impressed.

Some other early Illinois names for your recollectings:

Northern- (Waukegan, Antioch etc.)

John Desmond (looked like Jesus with lighter hair).

Joan Krajecki she was the reason I liked to go see the Waukegan saints. (she later married Frank Pavlica- last I heard they were in the mid Atlantic area)

Mr. B- (Orbin Banks?) I think he was a teacher. had a winning smile and real love for people.

Peoria area-

(Howie)- uh, oh, that is me

Dave Pettit- pawned his guitar to pay for PFAL. also mom, Pat, sis Pam, and brother Jeff

Becky Belcher- the sweetest woman IL ever produced. (of course, she married Donnie Fugit) I sure wish she would check in here.

Gary Belcher Becky's brother, played a good guitar

Ray Brasga- lived in Japan for several years, now is in CA as i recall from an email I got from him.

Carolyn Young- wise a peaceful lady also her sister Megan Young

Dallas and Rosemary Sumpter- Dallas kept hiring us goofy young kids. We kenneled VP's dog, Tick (sp), at their place, and almost lost him. Now THAT was scarey. We found him an hour before Don W. came to pick him up.

Nancy Wesselhoft- vivacious and fun

Debbie Hermann- Nancy's sidekick

Brad Hinch- was in Way Builders- hmm, in Washington State now?

Gawd we had a fun time in those years!

~HAP

• 1 month later...

Hap,

All those names are familiar.

Desmond ran my first PFAL class at Antioch H.S.

I wonder if he still has the pinstripe suit and goutee...

Orbin Banks (the believer formerly known as Mr.B) lives in a far southwest suburb of Chicago and is still married to Terri...a very lovely couple.

I have Dave Pettit recollections that still make me laugh out loud circa early-mid 70s, wayhomes, police, and betamax video machines the size of a Hyundai...lol.

I don't regret any of those times...it was sweet, hot, and fun. Youthful zeal and an unerring sense of invincibility fueled many an adventure.

God is so very patient...lol.

• 2 weeks later...

How enticing, Dovey...

hmmmm...processing...processing...

one of the Madsen guys? not Sammy Magro, not Ernie Dahl, not Chuck Cunnigham, not Dave Pettit, nor Lolly...hmmmm....probably not Walter Porter or like-a-butterfly Kunkel...Perrine was married...(Desmond was engaged to Pam)...

...uncle!

more wonderful early IL names, Matilda! I remember Ernie, and geesh, I had forgotten Like a Butterfly- Kunkle. (however the song does slip onto my lips now and then).

No, Dave would not have been a WOW with Desmond.

Whteduv, you have our curiousity now. Think howard, think! (but it was Soooo. long ago.)

hmm, Matilda, where did the deep dish pizza come from that we craved when we would visit Antioch?

More names: Beth Harris and Bruce Bell were the two WOWS who first came to Peoria. anyone know either of their whereabouts?

How about Sammy Wilson?

~HAP

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been at the GS for awhile, but just kind of was scoping out some of the Messages and saw IL.

Yes, I know Karen Workman, Dawn Clarey (Now in the Carolinas)

Does anyone know where Ernie and Claudia are at?

What great people.

Cheryl Dahl too..Ernie's sister married Jim Farrara.

Reading all these names brought back a lot of fond memories....thanks!

Newlife

Hey,

I was a twig leader in Steator Ill in 77-79 I think ha I also was the state cordinator for correctional outreach ran a twig in womens prison.

Any one know what happen to Mary Kress.Did any one hear that Doug Deboor passed away.Any one know where James Cali is

• 1 month later...
I just noticed we don't have an "Illinois" thread so I'll start one. I've been out here in the Chicago suburbs since the middle of 1985; first in Buffalo Grove, then Hanover Park. I've bben in St. Charles for seven years now.

Tommy did you know the McPhearsons (Maynard & Gail) on Hawthorne in Buffalo Grove. Haven't heard from them in quite a while. Would you know if they are still there. We used to be in touch all the time then they left the ministry.

Edited by LornaDoone

Hey,<BR> I also was the state cordinator for correctional outreach ran a twig in womens prison.<BR>Any one know what happen to Mary Kress.Did any one hear that Doug Deboor passed away.Any one know where James Cali is

Jim went to Dallas in like '81. I think he was working in a bio research lab .. still pickin' the banjo. I have no idea since that. I lived with him in Champaign in a big way home thingy, back in '77. I'm curious what happened with him since that.

Hap4me..Im from the Waukegan area...

I remember the Desmonds--I think Rev.Wrenn was LC,right!!

here goes-

Dave Petitt-Las Vegas

Hovey's on staff

Jim and Becky Perrine- staff

Matilda are you referring to Dennis or Greg Madsen?

Dennis owns a Antique wicker shoppe in Winetka,Il

Greg-Gurnee,Il

Newlife-Ernie and Claudia Dahl-Kenosha,Wisc, I saw them about 3 yrs. ago. Doing good,w/ thier 6 girls..:)

We were in the Bradley University area, lovely old homes.

I remember that girl who stood for several years--she got into a twig in another area with a super legalist who seemed to have it in for her. I felt so bad--didn't know how to help. I did talk to the leaders wife once(I no longer lived in Illinois then) and she sounded so hard. I got no where.

Edited by Bramble

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...