GreaseSpot Cafe

Be careful what you post here. It will show up in court!

Kit Sober

Hi.

1. Kit Sober is neither creative nor legally astute.

2. I copied this post from another thread (as I said).

3. A lovely person who used to be a friend of Fred's got severely damaged because she wrote and poured out her heart on one of these ex-way places. A family member who did not know of the things she divulged found it on a Google search. . . (searching for her name).

Then it was spread through her family for shame, and her job. . .

Just very sad. And I only thought to give a "heads up."

I love this Greasespot Cafe because it does allow people the option of giving their story (which can be safely couched in protective anonymity) and releasing the pent up anguish and grief.

Greasespot Cafe also allows getting to know others who have had similar circumstances and overcame them.

(There are also some who have gone through twi unscathed, and these people are an inspiration.)

Sincerely and hopefully,

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you suppose I often interject:

"Good Morning Mr. Linder"?

There is debate about the waygb and its existence. If any of you put any faith or stock in me as a poster....I am telling you now...believe what Kit says. The waygb is alive and well....I have seen it up close and personal and it was not a pretty sight.

Oh I believe you Krys and Kit!

I posted here in an honest cathartic manner only to receive e-mails from two different people who started off their notes of distain with:

Dear MY REAL FIRST NAME,

So, someone is doing some research!

Thanks for the post Kit!

Dot Matrix

Not to stir the pot but there is one other aspect of the legal system that seems to be forgotten here, copyright laws.

Some posters, myself included, have quoted various books published by American Christian Press (TWI) and even in some cases other works, i.e. Bullinger, Kenyon, J.E. Stiles et al. Whole sections of these books and tapes have been duplicated here. Particularly by one poster, I will refrain from mentioning his name.

This opens another can of worms if a legal team was feeling aggressive enough. Remember, you can sue anyone for anything in the United States. That a litigant won't win is irrelevant to some. You've still had to waste your time, and money, defending yourself.

It would be nice if TWI would be shut down because of so many lawsuits. If they settlements don't kill them their own lawyer fees should.

Do you think TWI's lawyers laugh all the way to the bank because of the stupid little cult they get paid to protect?

Keep in mind, everything posted on ANY website. Can be monitored by our government, for any purpose they seem 'right'.

Galen

ET1 SS - USN Retired,

Knight of the Rose Croix,

Knight of the order of St Andrew,

Pilgrim of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the mystic shrine.

hospital_logo.jpg

"I live in the spirit of prayer. I pray as I walk, when I lie down, and when I rise. And the answers are always coming. Tens of thousands of times have my prayers been answered. When once I am persuaded that a thing is right, I go on praying for it. the great point is never to give up till the answer comes. The great fault of the children of God is, they do not continue in prayer, they do not persevere. If they desire anything for God's glory, they should pray until they get it." - George Mueller

Dizzydog,

You've got the right idea about copyrights, with one exception. That exception being that if the poster of the material gives proper credit for the posted material as not being his/hers, and identifying the original author. As long as you give proper credit, everything is usually fine.

The copyright holder, of course, has the right to ask you not to reference, or republish, his/her work in whatever forum you're in. If you ignore that request, then they can sue.

Case in point, there was a web site a few years back (not Waydale or GreaseSpot) that posted entire chapters of a couple of VPW's books. TWI found out and demanded of this website that their copyrighted works be removed, which they were, under threat of lawsuit if they didn't comply. I don't know what happened after that, but that site is no longer in operation.

In 99% of such cases, most authors don't mind being quoted as long as the proper credit for their work is given. They like it even more if you give information as to where you can buy a copy of their work. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Then again, when you have a cult like TWI who are afraid to sell copies of any of their works to the public at large (Sorry, "believers" only!), you could end up with a royal mess if they decide to make you remove them from public view (sorry, too much light -- Bright light... Bright light... aaargh! I'm meltingggggggggggggg...).

My 2 cents...

Nomad888

My rules (for what it's worth):

1. Tell the truth.

2. Tell the truth.

3. Don't say anything here you wouldn't want

a. repeated back to you in court by opposing counsel.

b. seen on a highway billboard with your name attached to it.

4. Always tell the truth.

Nomad,

Thanks for the clarification. I always took the warnings literally when they say "No part of this publicaton can be reprinted or copied without the express consent..." yada yada.

It would be a bit unreasonable to try to police this in every occurance.

Good point about authors wanting their work exposed. Unless of course you are TWI...

Catcup:

"My rules (for what it's worth):

1. Tell the truth.

2. Tell the truth.

3. Don't say anything here you wouldn't want

a. repeated back to you in court by opposing counsel.

b. seen on a highway billboard with your name attached to it.

4. Always tell the truth."

Life gets too complicated 4 me at times. I need to simplify things. I decided long ago, that having to remember the details of lies was just too much work.

For every untruth, you would have to remember it as well as who you told what to. No thank you.

Speak truth.

As to copyright violation; since your not violating criminal law, no law Enforcement agency is going to persue you. Copyright violation us when you copy something and sell it making a profit but no giving the copyright holder their share of those profits. Since it is not a criminal law violation, the copyright holder needs to sue you for that lost money.

Simply quoting someone, without giving the author due credit is perhaps 'not nice', but to sue you, they would need to show that you made a profit from doing so.

Galen

ET1 SS - USN Retired,

Pilgrim of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the mystic shrine.

hospital_logo.jpg

"I live in the spirit of prayer. I pray as I walk, when I lie down, and when I rise. And the answers are always coming. Tens of thousands of times have my prayers been answered. When once I am persuaded that a thing is right, I go on praying for it. the great point is never to give up till the answer comes. The great fault of the children of God is, they do not continue in prayer, they do not persevere. If they desire anything for God's glory, they should pray until they get it." - George Mueller

quote:
Simply quoting someone, without giving the author due credit is perhaps 'not nice', but to sue you, they would need to show that you made a profit from doing so.

Or, they would need to show that you are preventing them from making a profit, i.e. disseminating large portions of a book over the Internet to people who would otherwise have to buy the book to get that information.

Regards,

Shaz

• 6 months later...

God

Hi All

Be careful what you post here. It will show up in court!

I have no fears of Court but I have seen nothing in the Way that I see of value to help others

Besides how they Mark and avoided me for standing on the word of God against their lies

Now if I do bring one of them up let them take me to court because I would call all you for wittneses of how they mark and avoide all of us

Now as for trying to put something in here to destroy another one's life no

And that is the reason I believe Kit wrote this post for

You see even LCM needs room to change and if we give out his address or another Way members they might feel in danger from us

Now I do not see him changeing but I give him the room to change

Now if you want to give out address Set up your own Web page were your believing and lawers watch over it

For this is run by Pawtucket not me or you

Now if I do not like Pawtucket rules to kill a post or let it alone I go to him in private about it

For to post here is a blessing not a right because all rights you have here are the ones Pawtucket gives not what you or me want

with love

quote:
Originally posted by Nomad888:

You've got the right idea about copyrights, with one exception. That exception being that if the poster of the material gives proper credit for the posted material as not being his/hers, and identifying the original author. As long as you give proper credit, everything is usually fine.

Nomad,

That's not correct. The copyright laws give the creator of original work all the rights about how it gets copied (hence the name copyright). No one gets to copy any of it with or without proper credit unless they have permission.

The exceptions to this fall under what's called "fair use". They include things like:

The right to quote short sections in a review or the like, the right to parody, and the right to make copies of a work for your own use. This latter means if you own a book or CD or video you can copy it at will as long as you don't distribute, sell, give away etc any of the copies.

(Software is a different animal because you don't legaly OWN a copy of software you are lisenced a right to use it under certain conditions).

There are other fair uses but I can't remember what they are.

FYI - I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, my ex-wife was in the licensing business and I used to work for her and became familiar with some of this stuff.