GreaseSpot Cafe

Anti Virus problems

Mandii

I had used Norton anti virus for one year and their anti virus and firewall for another year and purchased an upgrade for yet another year.

Once I did, functions and programs began to not work. First it was scandisk and defrag and I did everything, including starting in safe mode and using DOS to make it run with no luck.

Then instant messaging programs quit working and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work cause of error messages. As time passed, favorite games from pogo wouldn't work, and the computer got slower and slower and slower. Then I couldn't enter my favorite chatroom because it would cause an interal error and browser would close. Applets wouldn't open and I thought I was sunk.

I decided to remove the antivirus program as it would not update its definitions and I tried over and over again.

Simple? Heck no and I would suggest getting all the information needed to remove it as going to add/remove programs through my computer into a state of insanity. I weathered through that and now installed a different firewall that my cable provider offered and scan disk works and defrag and everything else that didn't work does now.

I only post this in case anyone else has had problems since installing certain anti virus soft ware and to show what a problem it can be in trying to remove it.

The lightning-bug is brilliant, but he hasn't any mind; He stumbles through existence with his headlight on behind.-E.F. Ware, The Lightning-Bugsize font color>

Are you using Windows 98 or Winds XP? If it is 98 then that is the majority of the problem. Time to format and reinstall Windows XP depending on how modern your hardware is.

If you are using Windows XP then use the latest version of Norton Antivirus which is 2004. It is not that expensive if you know where to "shop" for it.

Older versions of Norton Antivirus such as 2000 and even 2001 sucked.

And only install what you need. Just Norton Antivirus. Not all the other stuff they want to sell you along with it. That is unless you think you really need some of it.

Antivirus programs can indeed slow your computer down. I like to turn off Auto Protect, for example and undo the Office Plug in option. Those help. You still have instant email protection with Auto Protect off. Just have to check things for viruses manually when you download them from the Internet.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Igotout, I was using Norton 2004 with windows 98. It said I was supposedly able to run it with 98 but that wasn't the case, what you said was correct about it not running correctly. It wouldn't even update itself.

I am now using what RoadRunner was offering its customers. It seems much more compatible with my puter.

One of these days I will update and get more power behind me ;-)

The lightning-bug is brilliant, but he hasn't any mind; He stumbles through existence with his headlight on behind.-E.F. Ware, The Lightning-Bugsize font color>

I was going to splurge and by myself a whole new puter but my kitchen needs more cabinets and we're getting a new floor put in, replacing the one we put in a couple of years ago; I am thinking of getting the stone look motiff but can't figure out what color to paint it to match...hmmmm maybe a muted green? Then I was thinking of stenciling a green vine border but then perhaps if the walls are green...hmmmm decisions.

Yes, I know. More information than needed ;-)