GreaseSpot Cafe

The Plight of Lindows

pawtucket

As some of you know, I am a fan of the Linux operating system. One particular company that sells Linux is Lindows. They have approached it differently than most of the other Linux companies. I subscribe to the Lindows newsletter and today's edition is quite scary. It is about what Microsoft is doing to shut this company down. I thought you would like to read it.

Lindow's Newsletter

(and yes I will move this into the political forum, if the need arises)

Would it be OK for a foreign Judge to rule that if someone calls my U.S. office from another country that I cannot utter the word 'Lindows' when I answer the phone, simply because our phone lines were connected, making such a call possible? Worse yet, if I answered the phone would I incur a fine of $124,000 per day? Our phones may be connected to some of the same wires that a web visitor would travel when connecting to the Lindows.com web site. If they can insist a web site be shutdown so their residents cannot access it, why not the phone system as well? It sounds preposterous, but it is what seems to be unfolding in the Netherlands, and every Net citizen should be worried. We may be headed to a world where rich companies can shop around, looking for a friendly court and use that to ban content, ideas, products and choices which they may disagree with.

I pasted for the readers who do not have time to read the enitre article.

I wonder why other countries believe America is run by money . It is clear to me why .

It says they can be taken to court by 191 different companies in efforts to shut them down.

wow serious stuff huh?

WordPerfect, the word processing program that was designed to help struggling secretaries and other typists (legal, education, scientific, etc.) of the 80s do their job is now owned by Corel.

MS Word, when converting WordPerfect docs, makes them unusable and you have to start over. (and the boss blames WordPerfect, not MS)

Also MS has a graphic "corel" which is an ugly piece of pink coral that overwrites the Corel logo.

And if you install MS after you install WordPerfect, WordPerfect will never work right again.

All of the companies I've worked for in the last 10 years have gone to MS Office, even though it is more costly, less user support, and much more difficult to produce good documents.

I miss WordPerfect, it was a better product and a nicer company to work with.

Sincerely,

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

really Kit? my wife has both word and wordperfect on her computers and uses both... hmmm... she's a paralegal so stuff comes in all formats... interesting

It's hard to make that change, When life and love turns strange. And old.

To give a love, you gotta live a love. To live a love, you gotta be "part of". When will I see you again?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you can go as old as a 7500(whatever that is...I'm not a mac fan) with Yellow Dog Linux for the mac. Web site here: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

But as Zix stated, if your not really into being a geek, linux may not be right for you.

If you ARE into a posix-style os(Posix being the generic name for UNIX-style operateing systems) you should really check out Free-BSD. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to true SCO-Unix.

Rick

Edited by Guest

two things

Linux isn't for someone that is a novice with the exception of two flavors (there are many many versions out there) Lindows and SUSE Linux 9. I have used Lindows and it is very user friendly, it is more of a commercial product and not looked upon nicely by the open source community, but the average person can use it.

SUSE Linux has probably the best install process of the 4 or 5 that I have putzed with.

The interesting thing about what Microsoft has done and continues to do is take over a particular product area and monopolize. Quality then becomes controlled by the company not the consumer. And they have no plans of stopping. They are in development of a product to take out Macromedia's Flash. Hopefully product allegiance will prevail.

"Hopefully product allegiance will prevail."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen to that there! How much of a monopoly does Microsoft need, before they are satisfied? icon_frown.gif:(-->

Ps. -- Bluzeman -- Thanks for the link. icon_smile.gif:)--> I think I will stick with the advice from Zixar.

Edited by Guest

I have not used SUSE at all, but have used both Red Hat and Mandrake. I love Mandrake so far. Lycoris is neat too and I do like it. Lycoris to be more like Lindows than other LINUX distributions.

Paw, have you tried Damn Small LINUX? Really nice and solid, but it runs from the CDROM (the small CDROM), which means it is not prone to hackers but also means you cannot write to it. You can install it to the hard drive but I haven't been able to make that work yet.

Mac OS X, is unix based in I am not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing that I've noticed about Linux is that it doesn't keep current with the latest graphics cards and other hardware. If I'm wrong on this, which brand provides the widest support of the latest graphics hardware, etc.?

I've heard that Mandrake, Red Hat, and SUSE are good candidates for this, but the last Mandrake that I installed about 5-6 years ago didn't support my well known and up to date graphics card.

Any valid info would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Garth: They're getting better about that now that the graphics market has shaken out a bit. With only ATI and nVidia to worry about in any real way chipset-wise, it's easier to keep the drivers current.

Besides, RedHat does have auto-update capability for downloading new packages off their website, if memory serves.

I'm running RedHat 8 on an old P-133 with 80MB of RAM, and it's as happy as a clam. That's the box that serves up that little Saturn pic everytime you see one of my posts.

Zix,

I have a recently acquired Athlon 2600 XP system with a nVidia based GeForce FX Series 128M graphics card. Do you know anything about how well that is supported? If not, then I can slways check Redhat's site.

And how well stocked with apps and other Linux goodies is the current Redhat nowadays anyway? If all works well, I just might reinstall the latest Redhat on its own partition. icon_cool.gif

I don't know the particulars, but it seems that would be just fine for RedHat, since the graphics card is a popular one. The processor's no problem. Linux has come a long way from the days of the command-line installer. My RH8 install was as easy as a Windows install--but shorter. It automatically detected everything in that old clunker of a system on the first go-round.

Garth,

I'd say that your card would definitely work because I have a friend that uses it. I don't know how he got it to work though, and since he's one of the types that compile his own kernel I can't say for sure that it is one that is easily supported to the highest extent.

I do think that you should have no problem getting something like X to run, but you could have trouble with any games, if that is what you're wanting to do. In fact, most gamers that use linux also keep a Windows partition around specifically to play games, since very few are ported to Linux.

As far as the software goes, I think SuSE is the best for free stuff, but Redhat should have more than enough for you, as well as Mandrake or any of the other easier ones. I would think that you would run KDE or Gnome as your desktop GUI, and then you just need Mozilla Firefox for a browser, OpenOffice, Thunderbird (or another software) for email, and whatever other miscellany that you want to install. There's the Gimp for graphics, even though it's not as good as Photoshop. There are plenty of chat programs, there are ftp tools, ways to sync your PDA, and other things. The last version of Linux I installed was either Redhat or Mandrake, and it included all of that software on the CDs that I downloaded for free.